UKBouldering.com

YYFY!!! (Read 2102889 times)

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#7550 Re: YYFY!!!
June 25, 2021, 01:55:17 am
Suspected A2 rupture of pinky finger from the weekend - v loud pop. Went to PT today and turns out it's only a grade 2 partial rupture  :2thumbsup: Also spent 15 mins chatting to D-Woods before the appointment which was cool

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#7551 Re: YYFY!!!
June 25, 2021, 07:50:37 am
Did he say hi?
What was he doing there?

Bradders

• forum hero
#7552 Re: YYFY!!!
June 25, 2021, 10:14:21 am
Suspected A2 rupture of pinky finger from the weekend - v loud pop. Went to PT today and turns out it's only a grade 2 partial rupture  :2thumbsup: Also spent 15 mins chatting to D-Woods before the appointment which was cool

Bloody hell Coops, what on earth are you doing to your fingers! Never heard of anyone getting such frequent pulley injuries. Glad it's better than initially thought at least!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#7553 Re: YYFY!!!
June 25, 2021, 10:40:28 am
grade 2 partial rupture  :2thumbsup:

Classic Coops.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#7554 Re: YYFY!!!
June 25, 2021, 01:19:47 pm
Yeah it was stupid. Trying to flash a crimpy V5 while not v warmed up. Weird hold that overloaded the pinky, causing the pop. Just general training etc. talked to him about sleepwalker and the video, Megatron proj and plans for the summer

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#7555 Re: YYFY!!!
July 06, 2021, 11:24:04 am
The 14-days later X-ray of my wrist found no fracture.

So I'm pleased but weirdly reluctant to believe the good news.  Someone looked at the images for all of 10 seconds, left without saying a word to me, and the technician then said I was fine and to go home. No diagnosis or explanation of my woes, or advice on care. It all felt very sudden and off-hand after 14 days of moderate pain and considerable inconvenience!

I'm now trying to convince myself that their speed was a result of expertise and practice and not a lack of care!  Surely they would have spotted a fracture that's been healing for a fortnight!?

Anyhow, I think I'll try some gentle climbing this weekend and see how it responds (maybe indoors for a bit more control).  No more rambling! Both my walks last weekend involved getting lost in marshes, in heavy rain, and having to navigate my way out by compass bearings! Back to leisure that doesn't involve being sodden and confused; I get enough of that at work!

M1V0

• addict
#7556 Re: YYFY!!!
July 06, 2021, 12:20:07 pm
Nice one Moose,

if you would rather something to worry about, a few years back I ended up having a CAT scan on my wrist after I insisted it was a break and not a sprain.

A&E staff weren't convinced initially and told me it was a sprain originally, sent my off with a splint, I came back the next week and insisted it was a break, so they cast it to humour me (I suspect) and sent my off for an x-ray. X-ray came back clean so they ordered a CAT scan.

Several weeks later (I think they were annoyed at me and wanted me to suffer being in a cast for "a sprain") I had the scan and then when I went back next time, I had indeed suffered a fracture! Not of the scaphoid but of one of the trapezoid bones. Apparently super rare to fracture these (rare enough that if you google "trapezoid fracture" the top results are medical publications on just how rare these cases are), and the doctor heading the clinic was very interested in me (well, not me but my fracture).

So if you're still concerned, maybe push for a CAT scan for more peace of mind. Healing process for trapezoid is exactly the same as for scaphoid, but I've never suffered any of the long-term effects some people have with scaphoid (aching in winter, decreased mobility and the like). Unlikely you've done this though, less than .4% wrist injuries are trapezoid fractures!

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7557 Re: YYFY!!!
July 06, 2021, 12:48:56 pm
That's good to hear Moose. I appreciate the off-hand response leaves you feeling uncertain, student medics have their communication skills assessed these days but this doesn't always translate into real life...

Personal experience is falling on an outstretched hand two years ago. First X-ray showed nothing, second one at two weeks showed an avulsion fracture (tiny flake of bone pulled off where the ligament attaches; like a torn ligament but heals better). I was already in a wrist splint so no change of management was needed and it wasn't even mentioned at the follow-up!

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7558 Re: YYFY!!!
July 06, 2021, 01:12:50 pm
Also not wanting to worry you, but wrist fractures (of carpal bones) can be very hard to see on x-ray, so if it doesn't clear up don't be afraid to go for a scan. Also, x-rays will not directly image ligament tears, so again, if it doesn't clear up get it seen. A complete scapho-lunate ligament rupture should show on an x-ray as increased distance between the bones and they should have checked for that, but I have come across NHS cases whey they have missed it. To be honest, if it was me (and it was) I'd just pay for a private wrist consultation immediately for peace of mind. If you want a recommendation, Mike Hayton is as good as it gets and he also knows about climbers.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 01:29:48 pm by Ru »

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#7559 Re: YYFY!!!
July 06, 2021, 01:59:10 pm
Thanks for all your (frankly worrying) advice! I think for now I'll assume (well, hope)  it is basically okay and see how it responds.

I don't think there are any major ligament / tendon issues as my hand is fully functional and still seems strong. Pinching type motions hurt but could presumably be due to inflammation? I still have pretty obvious bruising along my thumb.  If it doesn't progress (or regressed), I'll then seek a consultation to check for something more exotic.

Helge

#7560 Re: YYFY!!!
July 07, 2021, 09:03:14 am
I don't really post often but just wanted to add that it's worth getting it checked if it persists. I walked around with a scaphoid fracture for over a month thinking it was a sprained wrist. My then gf pressured me to go to the hospital after it wouldn't get better. X-ray didn't show anything, CT scan showed the fracture. Still having some issues with that wrist today.

sheavi

• menacing presence
#7561 Re: YYFY!!!
July 07, 2021, 10:00:24 am
How many x-rays (angles/views) did you have taken?  Have you pain in the anatomical snuffbox?

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#7562 Re: YYFY!!!
July 07, 2021, 10:04:46 am
Thanks for all your (frankly worrying) advice! I think for now I'll assume (well, hope)  it is basically okay and see how it responds.

I don't think there are any major ligament / tendon issues as my hand is fully functional and still seems strong. Pinching type motions hurt but could presumably be due to inflammation? I still have pretty obvious bruising along my thumb.  If it doesn't progress (or regressed), I'll then seek a consultation to check for something more exotic.

I'd probably get it checked out further before cracking on with climbing. As above, scaphoid # can be very hard to see on any scans, but potentially bad news if untreated. IIRC some distil radius # are hard to see as well, and also a common one after FOOSH injuries. Not trying to worry you, if also may very well just be a bit bruised but a little more patience is rarely regretted in the long run.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#7563 Re: YYFY!!!
July 07, 2021, 10:29:34 am
How many x-rays (angles/views) did you have taken?  Have you pain in the anatomical snuffbox?

There were 3 X-rays.  The pain is close but not entirely coincident with the snuffbox - basically from the base of the thumb and along to its first joint / knuckle.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7564 Re: YYFY!!!
July 07, 2021, 12:59:06 pm

I'd probably get it checked out further before cracking on with climbing.

Recommend a GPS watch before you launch into any more bogtrotting!

sheavi

• menacing presence
#7565 Re: YYFY!!!
July 08, 2021, 11:08:41 am

There were 3 X-rays.  The pain is close but not entirely coincident with the snuffbox - basically from the base of the thumb and along to its first joint / knuckle.

I would not be climbing just yet.  Could possibly be a trapezium injury which can be hard to diagnose via x-ray.  If symptoms persist push for a CT/MRI.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#7566 Re: YYFY!!!
July 08, 2021, 12:21:52 pm
The trapezium (next one down from the scaphoid) in my left hand was crushed so badly and left undiagnosed for so long that the consultant could only point to where it should be on the x-ray.  :sick:

After leaving it for a further three months before deciding on a course of action my hand had adapted to working without it to the extent that he decided to not even operate. Even though my hand’s visibly deformed (the thumb’s constantly in a thin-hands jam position now and pivots more from the second joint than the base) I can climb fine and don’t have any pain from it these days.

A few months isn’t much time off climbing in the grand scheme of things.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#7567 Re: YYFY!!!
July 10, 2021, 07:12:06 pm
First venture into top-rope soloing, did not die!

(Well, first venture on actual rock, as opposed to testing my set-up at home while dangling off a beam indoors.)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#7568 Re: YYFY!!!
July 10, 2021, 10:23:30 pm
First venture into top-rope soloing, did not die!

(Well, first venture on actual rock, as opposed to testing my set-up at home while dangling off a beam indoors.)

Nice one 👍
I've been doing a bit to make sure I have a good time despite having some annoying fear problems

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#7569 Re: YYFY!!!
July 12, 2021, 10:36:13 pm

An update.  On Saturday, I was dumb / desperate enough to try a brief Depot session - it was surprisingly painless (my wrist seems to feel okay when "engaged").  But, weird stabbing pains when doing more mundane tasks (opening jars etc.), despite the swelling and bruising abating, reinforced the need for caution.

So, instead of going climbing again, Sunday was a 12 mile walk around the Peak (and only getting slightly lost) and then making use of my private health plan to arrange a GP apointment .  A video consultation has now secured a referral for an MRI, although it will probably take another week or two for the result. 

Meantime, I have bought some of the O/S maps I really should have been using already. I am resigned to tramping around moors and bogs rather than climbing for at least another couple of weeks - wet feet are better than risking a long term fucked wrist (although, I will be back at work.... just being a bit more careful than usual).  I'm telling myself rambling is good mental RP training - similarly long, tedious, with frequent going backwards, and viewing getting home unharmed as a victory!  I'm very grateful for your encourgement to take it easy and to seek more advice.

andy popp

• forum hero
#7570 Re: YYFY!!!
July 13, 2021, 07:20:52 am
Happy tramping and good healing Moose.

7am swim in the Kattegat sea. Half a mile of beach backed by low hills covered in birch and pine, a couple of other people down the far end. Cloudless skies and sea like a mill pond, the water crystal clear and cool but not cold. Nothing but birdsong and the splash of my kicks. Utter, utter perfection.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7571 Re: YYFY!!!
July 13, 2021, 08:31:34 am

Meantime, I have bought some of the O/S maps I really should have been using already.

The OS Maps App is worth downloading an subscribing to. The "Augmented Reality" bit works well most of the time, and adds a bit of interest to walks.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#7572 Re: YYFY!!!
July 13, 2021, 08:49:33 am
I've got the app but only have the Ilkley area map downloaded to it (free download with the paper copy).  Outside the Ilkley area it's very low res and bugger all use where there's no signal (which has occurred dismayingly often!).  When I get the maps I've ordered, I'll be able to download off-line 1:25,000 coverage for everywhere I want to go - might purchase the app subscription too as it's not too pricey.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#7573 Re: YYFY!!!
July 13, 2021, 08:58:18 am
If you get the subscription, you can download areas full 1:25k resolution (if available for the area) to your phone for when you don’t have signal. I’ve not taken a paper map out with me for ages except on winter days when I think my phone might die!

IanP

• forum abuser
#7574 Re: YYFY!!!
July 13, 2021, 09:02:49 am
I've got the app but only have the Ilkley area map downloaded to it (free download with the paper copy).  Outside the Ilkley area it's very low res and bugger all use where there's no signal (which has occurred dismayingly often!).  When I get the maps I've ordered, I'll be able to download off-line 1:25,000 coverage for everywhere I want to go - might purchase the app subscription too as it's not too pricey.

The OS subscription is great value if you walk regularly - mapping for the whole of the UK for £24 a year including ability to download of map area or route so lack of mobile signal is not an issue.  Despite being moderately competent with a map/compass the ability to have 1:25,000 map on your phone showing you exact location makes everything so much easier.  Also have access to lots of other peoples routes which can be useful for planning.  The app is not perfect and has a few irritating quirks but does the important stuff well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal