UKBouldering.com

YYFY!!! (Read 2103033 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
#7425 Re: YYFY!!!
October 09, 2020, 09:42:57 am
Got a good survey on a house last Friday and then the Mortgage offer through today. If the solicitor checks go through quickly then we might be Skipton residents this time next month!

Psyched to move back closer to friends after a very nice, but enforced, stint in Cumbria due to Covid.

Bit of stability in one aspect of life would be nice again!

seankenny

• forum hero
#7426 Re: YYFY!!!
October 09, 2020, 12:33:12 pm
This time last year I started a masters degree at UCL. In the first term my mum's dementia got much worse, my younger brother got cancer and my partner's uncle died in a horrible accident. (Brother is now in remission.) In the second term I was ill for a month with what I strongly suspect was covid, my partner got covid and then her dad - with whom I was also very close - died from covid after only three days after being admitted to hospital.

Yesterday I got my exam results back, didn't fail anything and in fact got 3 distinctions and four merits, which I am pleased with given that on some days right after dad died I could barely wash myself.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 12:44:32 pm by seankenny »

tomtom

• forum hero
#7427 Re: YYFY!!!
October 09, 2020, 12:34:45 pm
Excellent news James and Sean!

andy_e

• forum hero
#7428 Re: YYFY!!!
October 09, 2020, 12:43:13 pm
Fucking hell Sean, you've been through the ringer there. Good effort smashing your Masters!

dunnyg

• forum hero
#7429 Re: YYFY!!!
October 09, 2020, 01:40:41 pm
That is crazily impressive Sean, good effort!

I should be working up in Skipton in a few months if you want to get out after work (once we are allowed into the office) James.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#7430 Re: YYFY!!!
October 09, 2020, 06:54:45 pm
Bloody hell Sean. Well done. Pint soon?

seankenny

• forum hero
#7431 Re: YYFY!!!
October 09, 2020, 10:12:21 pm
Bloody hell Sean. Well done. Pint soon?

Thanks and yes, definitely! I’ll message you.

andy popp

• forum hero
#7432 Re: YYFY!!!
October 10, 2020, 10:33:57 am
I can only echo, bloody hell Sean! Wish I could join you for the pint.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#7433 Re: YYFY!!!
October 10, 2020, 12:59:00 pm
Sorry that would be more than 2 households  :spank:

Well done Sean and nice one James.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#7434 Re: YYFY!!!
October 10, 2020, 01:32:19 pm

I should be working up in Skipton in a few months if you want to get out after work (once we are allowed into the office) James.

That would be great. I‘ve done a bit around there but not loads. Hopefully my wrist is back up to strength before too long - currently not really climbing but should be starting up a bit more soon, all being well.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#7435 Re: YYFY!!!
October 10, 2020, 03:54:38 pm

That would be great. I‘ve done a bit around there but not loads. Hopefully my wrist is back up to strength before too long - currently not really climbing but should be starting up a bit more soon, all being well.
without knowing the details of your situation, if it’s an injury that’s been keeping you out for some time, I’d strongly recommend starting to load it. I started with one arm pulls on a pull-up bar (feet on ground) before progressing to pulling on a fingerboard while doing all other rehab. I had about five months off last year which I now see as being potentially unnecessary. Just slowly get it used to load again!
Ignore me if this is completely inappropriate to your situation. Just don’t want you to miss out on months of action due to a generic physio not understanding the best path back (in my case)

James Malloch

• forum hero
#7436 Re: YYFY!!!
October 10, 2020, 06:09:13 pm

without knowing the details of your situation, if it’s an injury that’s been keeping you out for some time, I’d strongly recommend starting to load it. I started with one arm pulls on a pull-up bar (feet on ground) before progressing to pulling on a fingerboard while doing all other rehab. I had about five months off last year which I now see as being potentially unnecessary. Just slowly get it used to load again!
Ignore me if this is completely inappropriate to your situation. Just don’t want you to miss out on months of action due to a generic physio not understanding the best path back (in my case)

Yeah I’m hoping to start loading it again soon. I’ve been doing some dead hangs (but just off a bar for now) but did climb on it before I re-injured it.

I’d been doing some physio strengthening (physio seems pretty keen for me to keep climbing if I can, but taking it easy). A few weeks ago it went again (whilst climbing) though and I went back to not being able to pick up a cup of tea for a few weeks. I’m back to doing my exercises now after a few weeks of it being too painful to do them.

Hanging seems fine though - it’s more painful when rotating it for side pulls and undercuts. Will start with a beastmaker in the house when we get it and start to load it more then hopefully.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#7437 Re: YYFY!!!
October 10, 2020, 11:29:03 pm
Best of luck mate

Dolly

• forum hero
#7438 Re: YYFY!!!
October 22, 2020, 08:05:37 pm
Today I did The Rib at Burbage South at least 15 years since first trying it I think.
I’m still excited about it now aged 56 :)

tomtom

• forum hero
#7439 Re: YYFY!!!
October 22, 2020, 08:09:03 pm
Today I did The Rib at Burbage South at least 15 years since first trying it I think.
I’m still excited about it now aged 56 :)

Nice one Dolly. You styled it. 👍👍

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#7440 Re: YYFY!!!
November 03, 2020, 04:12:43 pm
After a decade of bleating that it's morpho or I need stronger fingers, more core or better nick, but mostly that it was morpho, today I finally managed Kidneystone.
Turns out all I needed to do was stop trying it via a crap sequence  :slap:

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#7441 Re: YYFY!!!
November 03, 2020, 04:16:04 pm
After a decade of bleating that it's morpho or I need stronger fingers, more core or better nick, but mostly that it was morpho, today I finally managed Kidneystone.
Turns out all I needed to do was stop trying it via a crap sequence  :slap:

Nice one! If you got a video I would be interested in seeing it.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#7442 Re: YYFY!!!
November 03, 2020, 04:36:48 pm
No video but I can explain:
Start RH in the pocket, LH on the edge stretched out left.
Left toe on the foothold under the roof.
Right foot on nothing, taller folk can toe hook at this point.

Pull on and put the toe hook on then slap RH to the lip sloper then the one under the stepped overlap then into side of the big flake, cut loose and stab RF to kill swing.

Then basically match and up into finish, however you do that.
Dolly and I used the same method for the bottom but neither of us could do the other's sequence for the moves above.

Bradders

• forum hero
#7443 Re: YYFY!!!
November 03, 2020, 04:38:12 pm
Nice one Nai. All dry today then?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#7444 Re: YYFY!!!
November 03, 2020, 05:03:39 pm
Stuff in the woods had wet tops, Perfect Day lower wall was wet but Mark's Roof mosty dry and Kidneystone somehow refused to get wet. Surprising, we dismissed it on the way in but when the wind turned the rain tracked further south and we got lucky. 

galpinos

• forum hero
#7445 Re: YYFY!!!
November 06, 2020, 01:05:26 pm
Left toe on the foothold under the roof.

What's the toe like under the roof? I can't remember there being much/anything for the left toe?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#7446 Re: YYFY!!!
November 06, 2020, 03:36:20 pm
It's ok and fairly obvious I thought, just right of the block.

galpinos

• forum hero
#7447 Re: YYFY!!!
November 06, 2020, 08:08:08 pm
It's ok and fairly obvious I thought, just right of the block.

Cheers, must have totally missed it. I was finding it hard off just the toehook and the left hand.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#7448 Re: YYFY!!!
November 10, 2020, 10:41:02 am
Getting closer on the house front, but had an unexpected contract extension at work yesterday. Another 4 months of work rather then unemployment from next month!

Also, we pick our little working cocker up on Thursday - I’ve wanted one for years and now the house is close to completion it seems as good a time as any!

Makes up for all the sleep deprivation of late and should distract me from the News addition I can’t seem to shift!

HarryBD

• player
#7449 Re: YYFY!!!
November 10, 2020, 02:19:02 pm
Exciting stuff James nice one. My family had a cocker when I was growing up - definitely got a soft spot for them.

Just exchanged on our first home today for completion tomorrow - just in time for end of tenancy/eviction on Thursday. Been a big ball of stress that seems to have released with that deadline.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal