UKBouldering.com

YYFY!!! (Read 2103208 times)

nik at work

• forum hero
#6625 Re: YYFY!!!
July 02, 2017, 04:42:52 pm
Nice one Styler, and fifteen years! Epic dedication!!

powderpuff

• regular
#6626 Re: YYFY!!!
July 02, 2017, 04:55:54 pm

After over fifteen years of banging my head against the precipitous outer wall of the world of publishing, I finally have a book coming out this September...
 :dance1:
Congratulations!

Love the front cover, beautiful bold colours ☺

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#6627 Re: YYFY!!!
July 03, 2017, 01:34:52 pm

Yossarian

• forum hero
#6628 Re: YYFY!!!
July 03, 2017, 01:58:32 pm
Ta. It was a lot of work. It’s looking positive on the translation side - possibly Italian, German, Dutch and Korean. Fingers crossed...

There’s a Solar System book to follow this, plus mountains, and emergency vehicles.

But the big YYFY will be an adult illustrated deal, which is why I’ve spent all morning failing to understand orbital mechanics.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#6629 Re: YYFY!!!
July 03, 2017, 02:25:21 pm

After over fifteen years of banging my head against the precipitous outer wall of the world of publishing, I finally have a book coming out this September...

What's it about ?

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#6630 Re: YYFY!!!
July 03, 2017, 03:35:25 pm
Ta. It was a lot of work. It’s looking positive on the translation side - possibly Italian, German, Dutch and Korean. Fingers crossed...

There’s a Solar System book to follow this, plus mountains, and emergency vehicles.

But the big YYFY will be an adult illustrated deal, which is why I’ve spent all morning failing to understand orbital mechanics.
Fantastic news about the first book. Must feel like breaking through a new grade, like first 8a .. x 10  :2thumbsup: Does Pinches Wall get into the Mountains book?

Yossarian

• forum hero
#6631 Re: YYFY!!!
July 03, 2017, 03:48:02 pm

What's it about ?

Sorry. It's kids (5+) kids illustrated non-fiction about insects. First half is basic taxonomy, where they live, what they eat, how they get around, etc. And second half is loads of illustrations of insects across the main orders.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#6632 Re: YYFY!!!
July 03, 2017, 04:11:18 pm

Fantastic news about the first book. Must feel like breaking through a new grade, like first 8a .. x 10  :2thumbsup: Does Pinches Wall get into the Mountains book?

I intend to use part of the proceeds to find out whether reaching 8a is indeed equivalent or not! Competition for the mountain book is fierce as it's also flora / fauna that live in the mountains, mountain people / weather / exploration, etc. But if you insist, maybe I can drop Denali or something...

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#6633 Re: YYFY!!!
July 03, 2017, 09:24:35 pm
If you're short of a Dutch translator I could ask the good lady.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#6634 Re: YYFY!!!
July 04, 2017, 02:10:54 am
 ;D

I intend to use part of the proceeds to find out whether reaching 8a is indeed equivalent or not! Competition for the mountain book is fierce as it's also flora / fauna that live in the mountains, mountain people / weather / exploration, etc. But if you insist, maybe I can drop Denali or something...
Ha ha! Very good. Have yourself a +1  :yes:

andy popp

• forum hero
#6635 Re: YYFY!!!
July 04, 2017, 03:15:00 am

Nibs for the Italian!

tomtom

• forum hero
#6636 Re: YYFY!!!
July 04, 2017, 07:37:57 am
I'm sure someone from here could help out with the Scouse version ;)

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#6637 Re: YYFY!!!
July 04, 2017, 07:39:52 am

If you need any help with that, drop me a PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#6638 Re: YYFY!!!
July 04, 2017, 10:02:15 am

Nibs for the Italian!
;D ;D
I imagine it could be a rather technical language, I could end up filling every page with "Thou Shalt Fingerboard" captions. Just to raise the little ones in the right way.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#6639 Re: YYFY!!!
July 04, 2017, 10:19:26 am

What's it about ?

Sorry. It's kids (5+) kids illustrated non-fiction about insects. First half is basic taxonomy, where they live, what they eat, how they get around, etc. And second half is loads of illustrations of insects across the main orders.

Sorry was slightly tongue in cheek due to the large yellow title saying BUGS   ;)   Congratulations! I know at least a couple of kids that would be well into this kinda book so will await a purchasing opportunity!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6640 Re: YYFY!!!
July 04, 2017, 04:26:28 pm

This looks great, my boy is 5 in October and I totally bum insects. He has shown some interest in Mr Lewington's offerings but the text is a tad adult. Can you put me down for a pre-order?

PS Are they UK species? Is that a Gomphus on the cover? Hope there are some Calopteryx in there too...

Yossarian

• forum hero
#6641 Re: YYFY!!!
July 04, 2017, 06:52:03 pm
it's an Illinois river cruiser (Macromia illinoiensis) and there is an Ebony jewelwing (Calopteryx maculata) inside, along with an Emperor (Anax imperator). They're all slightly stylised, with a focus on overall form, with very fine surface detail / hairs, etc simplified. In terms of selection it's pretty international, mainly so we could include some amazing huge butterflies.

My main aim with the text was to not dumb it down at all, so there are quite a lot of long or difficult words, but my opinion is that kids like difficult words (I think it's idiot adults that usually take them out) and so binomial names are used throughout, and there is a decent glossary for the technical words.

If there are any decent independent bookshops you can recommend in Sheffield, do let me know. I might be able to combine doing a signing with a Peak trip...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#6642 Re: YYFY!!!
July 04, 2017, 07:04:05 pm
NSFW  :
I totally bum insects

friend of The Bondage Fairies, yeah?
NSFW  :

fried

• forum hero
#6643 Re: YYFY!!!
July 04, 2017, 07:07:20 pm
I've been waiting for that all day and it more than delivered...thanks!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#6644 Re: YYFY!!!
July 04, 2017, 09:12:32 pm
Quote from: Wikipedia
Bondage Fairies (ボンデージフェアリーズ Bondage Fairies) is an erotic manga about highly sexual, human-shaped female forest fairies with wings.

:ohmy:

Duma

• forum hero
#6645 Re: YYFY!!!
July 05, 2017, 06:12:07 pm
Did The Hatchling on Monday.
And Out of Balance today to make sure it wasn't a fluke :-)

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Duma

• forum hero
#6646 Re: YYFY!!!
July 05, 2017, 06:15:27 pm
Delete duplicate...

Wood FT

• forum hero
#6647 Re: YYFY!!!
July 05, 2017, 06:31:09 pm
Did The Hatchling on Monday.
And Out of Balance today to make sure it wasn't a fluke :-)

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

what a boulder, nice work

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#6648 Re: YYFY!!!
July 06, 2017, 03:23:02 pm
Having a proper YYFY moment is also a matter of priorities.
I just received my box of 36 high protein bars, and my new 10 kg olympic plates, and I AM FUCKING OUT OF MY TINY LITTLE MIND WITH JOY!!!
I can't wait to be back home to train with my trap bar!!!

Yossarian

• forum hero
#6649 Re: YYFY!!!
July 07, 2017, 09:50:33 am

If you need any help with that, drop me a PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stu - do you mind if I drop you an e-mail? PMs seem to still be kaput...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal