#6426 Re: YYFY!!!
January 22, 2017, 12:09:32 am
 :weakbench: :weakbench: :weakbench:

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#6427 Re: YYFY!!!
January 22, 2017, 11:43:22 am
I hadn't climbed for over ten years when my wife and her friend suddenly decided to take the kids to the climbing wall. Their decision entirely, I didn't know about it until afterwards. But then I started going along. It felt like coming home.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6428 Re: YYFY!!!
January 23, 2017, 05:50:34 pm
Sounds good, how old?

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#6429 Re: YYFY!!!
January 23, 2017, 08:00:05 pm
now this is motivation...... you can keep your youtube motivational clips
but when people you know say it...it really gets you keen

cheers lads

I think you might surprise yourself too in terms of what you can get up, particularly on the grit! Looking forward to it word!

cjsheps

• obsessive maniac
  • The Hero Gotham Deserves.
#6430 Re: YYFY!!!
January 23, 2017, 10:40:09 pm
Got a few good YYFYs to post:

1. One of my most fun climbing trips ever ended up with my return flight being delayed for a few hours. They said there wouldn't be compensation, but I requested it anyway. The other day, I got a cheque for 360 pounds - a lot of money for a student! I didn't hold on to it long though, because...

2. I spend almost exactly that sum on a return flight to Yangshuo in autumn - a trip I've been dreaming of doing for years. What's more, I'm going with a friend who I've been wanting to get to know better. YYFY.

3. I never have to do last semester's shitty Particle Physics course again. I did my exam today, and only have one more left before I get on with...

4. My Masters Project. I got my first choice. As of next week, I start trying to couple the Lagrangian for General Relativity to the Higgs scalar field, in a model for Early Universe inflation. YYFY.

(Also have some minor NNFNs, but I'm feeling pretty damn chipper right now. Let's see how the last exam goes).

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6431 Re: YYFY!!!
January 24, 2017, 09:17:11 am
I'm going with a "friend" who I've been wanting to get to know better. YYFY.

Uh-huh.

I start trying to couple the Lagrangian for General Relativity to the Higgs scalar field, in a model for Early Universe inflation. YYFY.

I did that on the train this morning, I can post you the fag packet i worked it out on

cjsheps

• obsessive maniac
#6432 Re: YYFY!!!
January 24, 2017, 09:26:31 am
I did that on the train this morning, I can post you the fag packet i worked it out on

Maybe I exaggerated. It's more a case of "figure out how the hell my supervisor did it, and solve a new set of equations that nobody's looked at yet".

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#6433 Re: YYFY!!!
January 24, 2017, 01:28:07 pm
And then did you wrote on it "cuius rei demonstrationem mirabilem sane detexi. Hanc marginis exiguitas non caperet."?
 ;D

tomtom

• forum hero
#6434 Re: YYFY!!!
January 24, 2017, 01:48:43 pm

Make sure you cross out the hairy cock and balls you drew first... ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6435 Re: YYFY!!!
January 25, 2017, 12:58:55 pm
And then did you wrote on it "cuius rei demonstrationem mirabilem sane detexi. Hanc marginis exiguitas non caperet."?
 ;D

Yep. And Romanes eunt domus

J.Kydd

• player
#6436 Re: YYFY!!!
January 31, 2017, 08:37:10 am
In the space of a week we've bought a house and I've just accepted a job offer!
Crikey, I'm growing up  :'(

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#6437 Re: YYFY!!!
February 02, 2017, 10:49:02 am
YYFY!!!
First major breakthrough session on the project yesterday!
Despite not feeling 100%, I managed to do all the moves in a session, a thing that had never happened in the past despite some serious effort!
Did the first part (4 moves), then the first crux (2 moves that I've done a grand total of 4 times in three years), then the whole second hald of the problem (6 moves) that is overally much harder than the first half.
Brilliant.
It will still be a nightmare.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#6438 Re: YYFY!!!
February 02, 2017, 11:26:00 am
*half

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#6439 Re: YYFY!!!
February 06, 2017, 04:36:56 pm
Following last week's YYFY, I am currently out of my tiny naive mind with joy, because for my birthday my friends gave me... A TRAP BAR!!! A FUCKING TRAP BAR!!!
Probably the most versatile power training tool ever conceived!!!
I am about to collect it from none other than Mr. Filz of this parish, and I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!!!

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#6440 Re: YYFY!!!
February 06, 2017, 05:04:14 pm
Got a few good YYFYs to post:

1. One of my most fun climbing trips ever ended up with my return flight being delayed for a few hours. They said there wouldn't be compensation, but I requested it anyway. The other day, I got a cheque for 360 pounds - a lot of money for a student! I didn't hold on to it long though, because...

2. I spend almost exactly that sum on a return flight to Yangshuo in autumn - a trip I've been dreaming of doing for years. What's more, I'm going with a friend who I've been wanting to get to know better. YYFY.

3. I never have to do last semester's shitty Particle Physics course again. I did my exam today, and only have one more left before I get on with...

4. My Masters Project. I got my first choice. As of next week, I start trying to couple the Lagrangian for General Relativity to the Higgs scalar field, in a model for Early Universe inflation. YYFY.

(Also have some minor NNFNs, but I'm feeling pretty damn chipper right now. Let's see how the last exam goes).

Don't to piss in your parade, but Yangshuo is...well....worth doing some research about to make sure you get the best out of it. Luckily you have 3 supplementary YYFYs. E.g. Moon Hill is now banned:  https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=2427  Some locals said there are newer places not too far away that are potentially better. Can give you the guidebook if you want. (for Yangshuo)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#6441 Re: YYFY!!!
February 08, 2017, 10:30:40 am
Fontainebleau trip booked for October :punk:  :weakbench:

cjsheps

• obsessive maniac
#6442 Re: YYFY!!!
February 08, 2017, 11:10:24 am

Don't to piss in your parade, but Yangshuo is...well....worth doing some research about to make sure you get the best out of it. Luckily you have 3 supplementary YYFYs. E.g. Moon Hill is now banned:  https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=2427  Some locals said there are newer places not too far away that are potentially better. Can give you the guidebook if you want. (for Yangshuo)

I've heard very mixed things about the "ban". It sounds like many people climb there anyway, though I'm not sure how I feel about that. Do you have any names of new sectors?

Thanks very much for the guidebook offer, but I think I'm going to get my own in the long-term.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#6443 Re: YYFY!!!
February 08, 2017, 11:34:07 am
I don't have much up to date info - we were the in November 2014 and the ban had only just happened. Mike Owen climbed there the same time and got ushered off by "officials"  http://mikeowenfrance.blogspot.co.uk/2014_12_01_archive.html  I liked the area but there's a lot of development going on so it's losing it's rural charm and the climbing ranged from middling to polished/uninspiring. I wouldn't go back.

The new areas were not in Yansgshuo - more like a few hours drive away as far as I remember.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#6444 Re: YYFY!!!
February 08, 2017, 11:59:16 am
So fucking happy at the moment.
disco posteriore by Nibile, on Flickr

dischi anteriori by Nibile, on Flickr

trap bar by Nibile, on Flickr

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#6445 Re: YYFY!!!
February 08, 2017, 05:03:45 pm
A little less happy now...
A few days ago I'd been contacted by one of the Italian language schools I've worked for, to do a month long one to one course to a lady, Saturdays included.
I obviously accepted, and after making a rapid count of how much I was going to earn, I immediately proceeded to order brand new, CNC machined ERGAL triple clamps, and also a custom made trellis frame swingarm for my motorcycle.
Now they've cancelled my course because the lady does not want male teachers, can you believe it!?
And so I'm fucking scr*wed!!!

I accept donations.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6446 Re: YYFY!!!
February 08, 2017, 05:39:00 pm
I would sue on discrimination grounds

tomtom

• forum hero
#6447 Re: YYFY!!!
February 14, 2017, 04:15:18 pm
An excellent day at Slipstones...

Finally managed to do Sulky Little Boys... been trying this for years and with a bit of thought and some new VSR's it went after about an hour \o/

Managed to do Micro Corner next - then ran out of beans on Lay By Aręte...

Lovely.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#6448 Re: YYFY!!!
February 14, 2017, 04:48:09 pm
An excellent day at Slipstones...

Finally managed to do Sulky Little Boys... been trying this for years and with a bit of thought and some new VSR's it went after about an hour \o/

Managed to do Micro Corner next - then ran out of beans on Lay By Aręte...

Lovely.

Nice.

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#6449 Re: YYFY!!!
February 15, 2017, 05:29:20 pm
Snuck in a quick session to clean and try a project I found last year.  Outside bouldering in Alaska in February!  I want more of this :) 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal