UKBouldering.com

YYFY!!! (Read 2103167 times)

kelvin

• forum hero
#4975 Re: YYFY!!!
February 04, 2015, 06:03:19 am
Some twat text messaging whilst driving - came across in front of me. 3.5tonner vs motorbike... pretty lucky to be alive how it all panned out but, these things sometimes make who you are/become - it's all good.

Whyatt

• menacing presence
#4976 Re: YYFY!!!
February 04, 2015, 07:49:35 am
Some twat text messaging whilst driving - came across in front of me. 3.5tonner vs motorbike... pretty lucky to be alive how it all panned out but, these things sometimes make who you are/become - it's all good.

Lucky got to watch it even more this time of year! what bike you riding?

kelvin

• forum hero
#4977 Re: YYFY!!!
February 04, 2015, 07:58:22 am

Lucky got to watch it even more this time of year! what bike you riding?
Only an '83 Honda 200, an MTX. Just been restored, was running it in - my dream bike as I'd had the 125 as a learner. Sold the couple of DT175s I also had straight after the crash but hung on to a GSX750 till 18 months ago, kept it as it made me feel like a biker still but there's no way I can work a throttle and front brake safely and smoothly... probably for the best. Roads are busier, no one looks for bikes anymore as there are so few on the roads. I miss popping wheelies at traffic lights tho :-D

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#4978 Re: YYFY!!!
February 04, 2015, 08:13:30 am

Cheers sloper - I was actually wheeled in and knocked out ready for amputation but then they realised I hadn't signed a release form! Ha.
I don't need no excuse to eat well ;-)

That's one compo claim that got away Sloper ;)

I doubt it, sounds like the decision to amputate would be Bolam reasonable.

kelvin

• forum hero
#4979 Re: YYFY!!!
February 04, 2015, 08:23:39 am

Cheers sloper - I was actually wheeled in and knocked out ready for amputation but then they realised I hadn't signed a release form! Ha.

Actually, very reasonable. I'd seen letters from others hospitals giving their opinion and if they'd asked me to sign - I would have. The arm was also getting infected. Jammy bastard that I am, they were a little embarrassed after and said nothing, just packed me off home to Northampton and I only found out about this later from the hospital records being looked at. We have amazing orthopaedic guys here - few ops later and I'll do me till I die.
It shows the different 'quality' of service in the NHS tho, at different hospitals, and that was eye opening - everything was done in good faith tho, I wouldn't complain.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4980 Re: YYFY!!!
February 04, 2015, 11:55:30 am
Isn't it a bit hard to sign anything with your arm like a jigswa puzzle?

Not on the same scale, but I once managed to break the second bone in my big toe into 6 pieces (and three of the others). Doctors weren't sure what to do with it!

kelvin

• forum hero
#4981 Re: YYFY!!!
February 04, 2015, 12:49:28 pm
Isn't it a bit hard to sign anything with your arm like a jigswa puzzle?

Not on the same scale, but I once managed to break the second bone in my big toe into 6 pieces (and three of the others). Doctors weren't sure what to do with it!
That's the thing - most people have had broken bones or something as bad, I'd imagine a badly broken foot to be way more disabling and took some getting over.

And yeah, writing can be a struggle some days and easy others.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4982 Re: YYFY!!!
February 05, 2015, 10:22:32 am
Minor compared to your shit though.

Anyway, minor YYFY, did headtorch snowboard decent of Morven (well 2/3 of Morven) last night. Windy (hard to stand) and scoured at top, and crust covered heather at the bottom, but some great wind blown fresh in the middle. And home by just after 11. Now to stay awake through the day.

Sloper

• forum hero
#4983 Re: YYFY!!!
February 05, 2015, 10:55:27 am

Actually, very reasonable. I'd seen letters from others hospitals giving their opinion and if they'd asked me to sign - I would have. The arm was also getting infected. Jammy bastard that I am, they were a little embarrassed after and said nothing, just packed me off home to Northampton and I only found out about this later from the hospital records being looked at. We have amazing orthopaedic guys here - few ops later and I'll do me till I die.
It shows the different 'quality' of service in the NHS tho, at different hospitals, and that was eye opening - everything was done in good faith tho, I wouldn't complain.

You're not wrong there, given that we only have a small clinical negligence department there's a couple of places which come up on our radar an often lot more than they should (of course one cannot excluded randomness).

measles23

• stalker
#4984 Re: YYFY!!!
February 05, 2015, 10:53:31 pm

You're not wrong there, given that we only have a small clinical negligence department there's a couple of places which come up on our radar an often lot more than they should (of course one cannot excluded randomness).

The decision to amputate may be Bolam reasonable, but you'll not find a panel of similar professionals to support subjecting a patient to a general anaesthetic without evidence of consent, in an elective situation where the rule of necessity cannot be applied.
The thing that stops this being negligence is the absence of harm from the GA.

Having said that it is piss poor practice (or in management-speak a "never event")- a complaint would most likely have attracted some kind of settlement if only to avoid publicity - more importantly a complaint should have triggered a review of their pre-operative procedures and prevented it happening again (ie they might wish to adopt the World Health Organisation Safe Surgery Checklist like what all the rest of us have to do, where the first item is that the patient confirms consent prior to the anaesthetic...)

Glad no harm done, and with the retrospectoscope clearly the right decision to avoid amputation, though there is good evidence to support early amputation as being psychologically easier to deal with than years of living with a painful useless limb, followed by eventual amputation1.

1. Can't be arsed to look up; try medline!

Sloper

• forum hero
#4985 Re: YYFY!!!
February 06, 2015, 02:17:19 pm
I don't disagree with what you say about consent at all, I can't remember the precise details fo the last time I had a general but I seem to recall signing consent for the GA + consent for the op, is this right?

tomtom

• forum hero
#4986 Re: YYFY!!!
February 06, 2015, 04:33:27 pm
YYFY First 7 of the year - and first one post injury last November. Lovely day up at Cows Mouth with Andy Popp.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#4987 Re: YYFY!!!
February 06, 2015, 04:45:36 pm
 :dance1:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#4988 Re: YYFY!!!
February 06, 2015, 04:58:09 pm
That looks like a nasty little hold.
Did you need to cut loose on that?
Bravo!

tomtom

• forum hero
#4989 Re: YYFY!!!
February 06, 2015, 05:08:37 pm
That looks like a nasty little hold.
Did you need to cut loose on that?
Bravo!

Yes - its a bit small, you share with another small one to the left then cut loose, high foot and up.. Thats actually Prof. Popp in action on it.. 3 month soft skin and coarse moorland grit = ouch :) Good though.

kelvin

• forum hero
#4990 Re: YYFY!!!
February 06, 2015, 05:38:36 pm
Great news Tom!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#4991 Re: YYFY!!!
February 06, 2015, 05:54:40 pm

Thats actually Prof. Popp in action on it..

Really?
Did he leave his beard in the office?

He always reminded me of the Prof. in the PHD comic strip...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4992 Re: YYFY!!!
February 06, 2015, 06:00:46 pm
He does look like he's borrowed your wig...

tomtom

• forum hero
#4993 Re: YYFY!!!
February 06, 2015, 06:20:13 pm
I'm not sure who should be more complemented or concerned :D

Dolly

• forum hero
#4994 Re: YYFY!!!
February 06, 2015, 06:49:29 pm
Nice one TT. Bet that felt great

tomtom

• forum hero
#4995 Re: YYFY!!!
February 06, 2015, 07:02:08 pm

Thanks All :) yes there was a great thwack when I hit the top Sloper!!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4996 Re: YYFY!!!
February 06, 2015, 07:52:57 pm
there was a great thwack when I hit the top Sloper!!

andy popp

• forum hero
#4997 Re: YYFY!!!
February 06, 2015, 09:50:11 pm

I'm not dead yet you know.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#4998 Re: YYFY!!!
February 06, 2015, 09:54:47 pm

I'm not dead yet you know.

The beard is!

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#4999 Re: YYFY!!!
February 07, 2015, 07:01:54 am

Thanks All :) yes there was a great thwack when I hit the top Sloper!!

Great effort!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal