UKBouldering.com

YYFY!!! (Read 2102753 times)

JackAus

• junky
#3875 Re: YYFY!!!
May 27, 2013, 07:41:23 am
New pad arrived from Moon today! Time to get on some highballs...

andybfreeman

• menacing presence
#3876 Re: YYFY!!!
May 27, 2013, 08:12:14 am
New pad arrived from Moon today! Time to get on some highballs...
perfectly timed birthday present to yourself! Enjoy (both the day and the highballs)

AdamD

• player
#3877 Re: YYFY!!!
May 27, 2013, 08:19:57 am
I've decided to start training again (4weeks in) after pottering about for the past 3months following a ring finger injury. The fingers are feeling stronger than ever and my power endurance is getting better.

I went from climbing a bouldering roof style f6c+ and feeling pumped for ages (indoors) to about 2 weeks later doing the following:

f6c+
f7a
f7b
f7c+
Half way across the f8b+

I managed to get these done in under 15minutes with shorter breaks and they're all about 30 move  problems.

It seems I may have a chance of the old font8a this summer :)

boulderingbacon

• menacing presence
#3878 Re: YYFY!!!
May 27, 2013, 08:26:33 pm
non climbing yyfy but managed to do my first marathon yesterday in 3hours 43 minutes. was well chuffed because I hadn't trained for it and winged my way round on sheer determination.

Dr T

• forum hero
#3879 Re: YYFY!!!
May 27, 2013, 08:44:52 pm
non climbing yyfy but managed to do my first marathon yesterday in 3hours 43 minutes. was well chuffed because I hadn't trained for it and winged my way round on sheer determination.
:clap2:
I now feel I have to down grade my previous YYFY to a YYMinorY

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#3880 Re: YYFY!!!
May 27, 2013, 08:59:47 pm
Fine effort.

iain

• forum abuser
#3881 Re: YYFY!!!
May 30, 2013, 02:44:08 pm
A triple YYFY;

1. Back climbing this week after a break, I'm rubbish but I don't care.
2. We're moving closer to home soon and will be able to visit family/old friends more than a couple of times a year, there are new nephews to see.
3. The place we're moving to is Sheffield, apparently it's a great city and there might be climbing nearby.

Good times  :)

andybfreeman

• menacing presence
#3882 Re: YYFY!!!
May 30, 2013, 11:44:13 pm
A triple YYFY;

1. Back climbing this week after a break, I'm rubbish but I don't care.
2. We're moving closer to home soon and will be able to visit family/old friends more than a couple of times a year, there are new nephews to see.
3. The place we're moving to is Sheffield, apparently it's a great city and there might be climbing nearby.

Good times  :)

Nice; a big bucket of win!

andy popp

• forum hero
#3883 Re: YYFY!!!
June 04, 2013, 10:09:36 am
Beautiful day, at the crag for 8.20, FA done by 9, in work before 10. That's what I call a start to the day!

andy_e

• forum hero
#3884 Re: YYFY!!!
June 04, 2013, 10:14:03 am
Good work! I'll be doing the evening shift at Goldsborough later, hooray for summer. No FAs though...

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#3885 Re: YYFY!!!
June 04, 2013, 10:31:37 am
Beautiful day indeed. Invited my girl over for breakfast at 8, in work by 9:30. Lunchbreak session planned at 13, then back to work in Florence until 20.
First sunny day in weeks.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#3886 Re: YYFY!!!
June 04, 2013, 10:42:50 am
Beautiful day, at the crag for 8.20, FA done by 9, in work before 10. That's what I call a start to the day!

Nice one!

Been considering the potential for dawn sessions to get a bit of good nick on the grit lately - reckon I could get up unfeasibly early, get a quick session and still make it home for the 8am bus to work. Anyone got any experience of this? Had been worried about potential for dampness/ dew wrecking things.

Bonham18

#3887 Re: YYFY!!!
June 04, 2013, 11:03:03 am
Been considering the potential for dawn sessions to get a bit of good nick on the grit lately - reckon I could get up unfeasibly early, get a quick session and still make it home for the 8am bus to work. Anyone got any experience of this? Had been worried about potential for dampness/ dew wrecking things.
[/quote]

Was at plantation for 5am on Monday and there was no dampness at all, although conditions were still warmer than you'd like. By 7am everything was getting warm, but it was brilliant to sneak a couple of hours on the grit in despite day time temps of 20 degrees

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#3888 Re: YYFY!!!
June 04, 2013, 11:07:35 am
Interesting - might have to psych myself up for a very early start one morning...sadly all my projects are at Brimham, which is a good 45 mins from the house...

andy_e

• forum hero
#3889 Re: YYFY!!!
June 04, 2013, 11:09:21 am
Choose a slightly breezy morning, that should have kept the humidity down overnight and therefore should be less damp in the morning.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3890 Re: YYFY!!!
June 04, 2013, 11:10:02 am

Do it. A bit like pre-work surfing, even if conditions aren't brilliant it sets you up for the whole day. If it's been warm and clear for a few days in a row there shouldn't be a bot of moisture in the air to drop out as it cools overnight, and somewhere that gets a breeze (almscliff basically) should be fine. Just don't leave getting back into Leeds too late and get caught in commuter traffic!

edit - more or less what Andy said, but more words.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#3891 Re: YYFY!!!
June 04, 2013, 11:22:01 am

Do it. A bit like pre-work surfing, even if conditions aren't brilliant it sets you up for the whole day. If it's been warm and clear for a few days in a row there shouldn't be a bot of moisture in the air to drop out as it cools overnight, and somewhere that gets a breeze (almscliff basically) should be fine. Just don't leave getting back into Leeds too late and get caught in commuter traffic!

edit - more or less what Andy said, but more words.

Cheers - that was what I was planning, shame my Cliff bouldering ticklist is pretty short at the moment.

On the traffic front I did consider dropping the car in Huby and getting the train as my office is right in town.

andy_e

• forum hero
#3892 Re: YYFY!!!
June 04, 2013, 11:26:54 am
Do it. I'll try and think up some good 7Bs which would be suitable for a morning solo raid to the 'Cliff...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#3893 Re: YYFY!!!
June 04, 2013, 12:52:41 pm
On the traffic front I did consider dropping the car in Huby and getting the train as my office is right in town.

That would mean having to go to the cliff again after work - such a hardship.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#3894 Re: YYFY!!!
June 04, 2013, 01:12:53 pm
Fieldside Traverse and the eliminate but good traverse across Si's Arete are both decent 7b's for the solitary dawn boulderer. 

The problem on the front of the Virgin using the crack is a quality 7b.  But possibly a bad choice safety-wise; if you slip with the heel-toe in you might be found dangling head-down by the post-work crowd!

catbreath

#3895 Re: YYFY!!!
June 04, 2013, 02:04:33 pm
A pretty small YYFY but this weekend I bouldered outside on real rock for the first time and had an awesome time! Had a tiny climb late in the evening at Harrisons Rocks when it was getting dark and then spent the next day at High Rocks. I was totally shit and only managed a few little traverses (everything was pretty damp and dusty tbh) but after being into climbing for a little over a year it felt good finally getting out and doing it properly on real rock.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#3896 Re: YYFY!!!
June 04, 2013, 02:13:43 pm
Nice one for getting out, but if the rock is damp (from rain) you shouldn't really climb on it as it is considerably weaker and prone to wearing away or breaking. If by dusty you mean sandy - that's southern sandstone, it's often like that.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3897 Re: YYFY!!!
June 04, 2013, 02:26:35 pm
if you slip with the heel-toe in you might be found dangling head-down by the post-work crowd!

3t has experienced this previously although for only as long as it took his spotters to wake up.

Do it, Tom, it's a wonderful experience, life just seems so much stiller at that time of day and the chirp of the dawn chorus being the only sound but silence is something else.  So many visits to your home ground blend into one another but being up there alone at dawn with only nature and silence won't.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3898 Re: YYFY!!!
June 04, 2013, 02:33:08 pm
+1 Give it a go. For Almscliff reference - sun does not get around to DWR face until c.10/10:30am So most things (Egg aside) will be in the shade until at least then.

When I was working DWR ages ago, I used to get there for 8AM (meaning a 6:30/7 departure from Hull) and its great at that time as well... nice to be leaving as the keen chuffers turn up a bit later on..

andy_e

• forum hero
#3899 Re: YYFY!!!
June 04, 2013, 02:37:54 pm
I once went to Almscliff at 6am with a mate who had to drive back to Sussex a little later. Unfortunately our plan backfired as it was really very cold and we only managed a few laps of Fluted Columns before retreating to the warmth of a greasy spoon in Hyde Park somewhere. Kind of surreal to see the sun rising as I'm used to seeing it set when I'm at the cliff...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal