shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#2950 Re: YYFY!!!
March 27, 2012, 11:22:31 am
He will be sat across from me........
get the brews on youth

I'm just hoping I don't go to mad being stuck in an office all day.

Nice one Wil (Don't do a Rob) stick with it even if takes a while to get used to it

Paul B

• forum hero
#2951 Re: YYFY!!!
March 27, 2012, 06:19:21 pm
I never left.

I'm working on that bit (applied for an RA position last week).

andy popp

• forum hero
#2952 Re: YYFY!!!
March 27, 2012, 07:36:51 pm
I never left.

It can be very uncertain getting established, and of course for too many it remains very insecure, but when I works its a brilliant career - I love it, feel privileged and wouldn't change it for anything.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2953 Re: YYFY!!!
March 27, 2012, 07:37:52 pm
I never left.

A Rock Atrocity position? Which one? The move I prefer is the right heel hook.

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#2954 Re: YYFY!!!
March 31, 2012, 07:54:05 pm
Managed to link Stu's Roof at Almscliff today first proper 7C+ YYFY!!!!!!   :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

CBA

• player
  • Gin drinking underachiever
    • Unrepentant man child
#2955 Re: YYFY!!!
March 31, 2012, 08:33:01 pm
Nice one peewee,a top effort. Good to see you properly fight on something!

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#2956 Re: YYFY!!!
April 01, 2012, 11:06:24 am
Finally did a 7B+ that wont be downgraded or taken away from me any time soon!

Carnage in 1 session,
just planning my second trip for a few days time too.
Psyched to get on arabesque and the sit of carnage YYFY if the weather and my muscles are amenable.

Paul B

• forum hero
#2957 Re: YYFY!!!
April 01, 2012, 12:00:09 pm
Good effort, but the sit? There's far too much quality only minutes away...

dave

#2958 Re: YYFY!!!
April 01, 2012, 12:02:39 pm
Carnage assis is an eliminate too, a fact often overlooked.

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#2959 Re: YYFY!!!
April 01, 2012, 12:25:31 pm
eliminate how?

I confess, I only want to do the sit for my first 7C, I already did the sequence for the top so I figure it might be the best shot I have.

dave

#2960 Re: YYFY!!!
April 01, 2012, 12:37:11 pm
I think you're not meant to match on the holds after the chipped crimp and before the big high boss. Check on bleau.info. Its totally bullshit and makes no sense but thats what its graded for. I presume they do it like this so that the sitter is a 7c instead of just a harder 7b+ maybe?

Paul B

• forum hero
#2961 Re: YYFY!!!
April 01, 2012, 12:44:00 pm
Walk on up the path and try Noir Desir or Tristesse.

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#2962 Re: YYFY!!!
April 01, 2012, 01:01:28 pm
I had a go at noir desir and got a lesson in just how weak I am...
Maybe next year, or with a troop of psyched beta bunnies it might feel a little less implausible.

Tristesse looks scary, but it might be worth a go.

Bleau suggests that the eliminate is largely ignored now at roughly the same grade...

Paul B

• forum hero
#2963 Re: YYFY!!!
April 01, 2012, 01:44:55 pm

Funny, I just got a lesson (or five) in body position.

It can be very uncertain getting established, and of course for too many it remains very insecure, but when I works its a brilliant career - I love it, feel privileged and wouldn't change it for anything.

any advice for interviewing for an RA position? Its slightly awkward as two of the appointing lecturers were both RAs in my office for the past 4 or so years and hence know me on a personal level. I think I'm going to find it pretty difficult to handle that correctly. I'm currently seeking out all the papers they've published in the research field over the past few years and reading the background papers cited in these too. I guess I'll likely be asked to summarise my thesis and talk about that as well.

rodma

• forum hero
#2964 Re: YYFY!!!
April 01, 2012, 04:45:49 pm
I think you're not meant to match on the holds after the chipped crimp and before the big high boss. Check on bleau.info. Its totally bullshit and makes no sense but thats what its graded for. I presume they do it like this so that the sitter is a 7c instead of just a harder 7b+ maybe?

I think you're bang on the money there.

For the sit, as you said it goes chipped crimp for rh, then lh to the lh of the two crimps and then flick/jump/whatever the rh directly through to the boss.

I confess, I only want to do the sit for my first 7C, I already did the sequence for the top so I figure it might be the best shot I have.

It's a problem (the sitter) that I have not done, for the reasons set out by Paul, but I can kinda see why you would be excited if it becomes your first at the grade

Duma

• forum hero
#2965 Re: YYFY!!!
April 01, 2012, 05:00:59 pm

Funny, I just got a lesson (or five) in body position.

Took me a while to work out you weren't still talking about Noir Desir then!  :lol: :lol:

andy popp

• forum hero
#2966 Re: YYFY!!!
April 02, 2012, 05:18:20 pm

any advice for interviewing for an RA position? Its slightly awkward as two of the appointing lecturers were both RAs in my office for the past 4 or so years and hence know me on a personal level. I think I'm going to find it pretty difficult to handle that correctly. I'm currently seeking out all the papers they've published in the research field over the past few years and reading the background papers cited in these too. I guess I'll likely be asked to summarise my thesis and talk about that as well.

The situation of being interviewed by people you know is very common in academia - we all work in relatively small fields and get to know everyone. People get quite good at separating work and the personal - it can be total gloves off stuff in a seminar and then all fine and happy in the bar afterwards. Good academics are interested in good work above all else. You sound like you're doing the right things. I presume its for an already specified project? - work out a story about why you're the best person to carry it out. My first post doc was along way outside my real interest but I got it through an argument about what my perspective would bring to it (which they hadn't thought about).

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2967 Re: YYFY!!!
April 03, 2012, 08:16:22 am
Finally the quest is over. I am officially mental. Ready for the asylum and the straightjacket. I am on the bus, as high as if'd snorted a meter of cocaine, after one of the best fingerboarding sessions of my life.
The walls were trembling from The Who, and I felt bolted to the holds. Managed to hang the monos with ring fingers with 6 kg on.
Now give me my pills nurse.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2968 Re: YYFY!!!
April 03, 2012, 04:46:03 pm

Think it's given 7c these days however you do it. The eliminate was graded 7c before the start hold was chipped off.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#2969 Re: YYFY!!!
April 04, 2012, 10:08:20 pm
Not a very big YYFY but I will be signing for a house tomorrow that is t-minus 1 mile's walk from Shipley Glen  :punk:

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
#2970 Re: YYFY!!!
April 04, 2012, 11:07:20 pm
Can you get a season ticket on the tramway???

ben

• obsessive maniac
#2971 Re: YYFY!!!
April 06, 2012, 07:56:59 am
First 7B yesterday  ;D 4 sessions and some quality French beta got me up it in the end.. l'oeuf at Petit Bois

a dense loner

• forum hero
#2972 Re: YYFY!!!
April 07, 2012, 07:27:56 am
l'oeuf is quality.

carnage assis is a piece of shit that has never seen 7c. if carnage was your first 7b+ and you was to do the sitter nx go you would ave done 2 7b+'s. don't shoot the messenger i didn't invent maths

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#2973 Re: YYFY!!!
April 09, 2012, 11:35:58 am
Climbed my first Font 6C yesterday after encouragement and better beta from tomtom and Falling Down

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2974 Re: YYFY!!!
April 09, 2012, 02:27:09 pm
Unexpected, but not unwelcome, payrise. Which was nice, especially as last one was 1st Jan.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal