UKBouldering.com

YYFY!!! (Read 2102931 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1800 Re: YYFY!!!
June 16, 2010, 05:14:39 pm
Just some stuff from the long awaited guidebook. I'd ask Andy or Ben for the real deal.

BenF

• forum hero
#1801 Re: YYFY!!!
June 16, 2010, 05:25:07 pm
Where are these pictures? Keen to see them

Hiya Dave.  I'll try and get some photos up on here at some point as I've been taking a few shots for the guide (apologies in advance if I star in too many of the photos but no other f*ckers have come out to meet me lately).  Its a well cool little crag with plenty of very good highballs in a beautiful wood.  Bit like Pex but steeper and with smaller holds.  And more aretes. 

I'm kinda motivated at the moment to get this guide sorted quickly because there's so much new stuff that needs traffic and attention, but we need to make sure we do a really good job of it.  I can't wait for more people to get on our stuff at Harmer's now Crouch has been and been impressed.  However, Andy and I want to rewrite the sections on the Harmer's Wood quarries and I'm not sure how the sections on other Cheshire esoteria are doing (Andy?).  Plus, the Frogsmouth bit is being rewritten following the bolting and I know there are a couple of little bits outstanding for the Wirral.  So Niall, if you read this, we're on the case, getting more photos (I've taken topo shots for Harmer's now too) and making sure all the quality new stuff gets in the bumper book of sandstone fun.  Oh shit yeah, I could do with writing up the Pex eliminates too...

But yeah, I'll attempt to put some shots on here soon.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1802 Re: YYFY!!!
June 16, 2010, 05:39:50 pm
Just over 5 weeks since surgery and I'm allowed to walk again. Get in!  :great:  ;D

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#1803 Re: YYFY!!!
June 16, 2010, 06:22:46 pm
As an aside: what exactly is being awaited from Wirral? Is it just the Breck stuff?

Dolly

• forum hero
#1804 Re: YYFY!!!
June 16, 2010, 07:46:59 pm
I managed to do a few pull ups on the board tonight as well as a few hangs. As long as there isn't too much pain/bleeding then I'll do more tomorrow and so on. First time doing anything since cutting top of my thumb off 10 days ago :)
Not a great YYFN in the grand scheme of things, but as Baudrillard said "context is everything"

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1805 Re: YYFY!!!
June 16, 2010, 08:36:49 pm
Not a great YYFN in the grand scheme of things...

Yeah Yeah FuckNO!   ;)

Nice one bud, I knew you'd be back on it sooner than your thought!  :thumbsup:

BenF

• forum hero
#1806 Re: YYFY!!!
June 17, 2010, 07:49:44 am
As an aside: what exactly is being awaited from Wirral? Is it just the Breck stuff?

No, I think the Breck if done.  I understand that there are a few otehr venues being written up.  However, I know nothing more than that; the Wirral being positively foreign to me.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#1807 Re: YYFY!!!
June 17, 2010, 10:42:31 am
Cheers Ben, look forward to seeing the pics.

BenF

• forum hero
#1808 Re: YYFY!!!
June 21, 2010, 02:23:00 pm
Sorry about the wait Dave (and others), but here's a few photos of Harmer's Wood from the other day.  Thought I'd put them on this thread because a) this is where people will probably look, and b) they don't really fit anywhere else (quality photos they are not) and it seems daft starting another thread just so a few people can see photos of an esoteric bit of Cheshire.

A shot giving the general feel of the main quarry.  You can see most of the main walls in this photo.

Rich climbing Babyblock.  A fantastic problem at around 7a+ or 7b... he's just completed one of the best moves in Cheshire!  The arete to the right is one of the best of the aretes in the main quarry.

Low grade crack fun being climbed by a low grade crack whore.

Me on a brilliant slab, although it's a bit steeper than the palm down would suggest.  This is one of the problems climbed by the earlier developers, before Andy and I got stuck in.

A photo from the smaller quarry.  Although smaller, it is pretty highball!  You get the fear topping these bad boys out.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1809 Re: YYFY!!!
June 21, 2010, 02:34:11 pm
The arete looks ace in the first pic. What's the sign on the tree, a warning not to hit it if you fall off.

Some topouts look um challenging.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1810 Re: YYFY!!!
June 21, 2010, 02:47:39 pm
Bastard. Twenty years in Cheshire and I never heard of this place. It looks like Nesscliffe for boulderers.

BenF

• forum hero
#1811 Re: YYFY!!!
June 21, 2010, 02:49:46 pm
On the whole the top outs are fine, just a few needed excavating and a couple need a hanging rope in the smaller quarry.  Trees/roots on the top can also help if the top is particularly dirty or overgrown.

The sign was put up by the trust who own the wood, to remind climbers not to belay off the fence.   

tc

• junky
#1812 Re: YYFY!!!
June 21, 2010, 03:00:05 pm
Bastard. Twenty years in Cheshire and I never heard of this place. It looks like Nesscliffe for boulderers.

Likewise, an entire mis-spent youth on Merseyside sandstone and I've never been to Harmers Wood. Where is it??

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#1813 Re: YYFY!!!
June 21, 2010, 03:30:03 pm
Wow, this place looks great!

Good work Ben (and Andy).

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#1814 Re: YYFY!!!
June 21, 2010, 03:36:02 pm
Wow, this place looks great!

Good work Ben (and Andy).

I second that, looks brill, good work.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#1815 Re: YYFY!!!
June 21, 2010, 03:44:56 pm
I just googled it and found this on someones flickr. Having not been to helsby, is this more potential new route stuff?...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51827103@N00/3517743195#

wiain

• addict
  • Peekaboo
#1816 Re: YYFY!!!
June 21, 2010, 04:00:31 pm
The arete looks ace in the first pic.
:agree:

andy popp

• forum hero
#1817 Re: YYFY!!!
June 21, 2010, 04:02:07 pm
Well done for getting these up Ben.

Glad everyone likes the look, in fact (and this is no criticism of Ben) the photos don't quite do it full justice. To start with, its higher than it looks in most of these, tho' like Ben says, most top-outs are fine.

Chris, the arete in the first photo is the also in second shot but from the other side, brilliant, about V2 5c? In the first shot the obvious line of chalked holds immediately left of Richie is stunning V4, the best highball in Cheshire? In total there are about 40 problems, the vast majority completely non-eliminate. The setting is idyllic. Guided tours gladly given

There is some new route potential but I have one project I'd like respecting for at least at little bit as its taken quite a bit of cleaning (digging the topout etc.) and I haven't been able to try it properly yet. Pretty please?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1818 Re: YYFY!!!
June 21, 2010, 04:12:37 pm
There is some new route potential but I have one project I'd like respecting for at least at little bit as its taken quite a bit of cleaning (digging the topout etc.) and I haven't been able to try it properly yet. Pretty please?

Do you need something to pull you out of the motivation lacking doldrums? Surely a project under threat should do it? :)

Some of theose corners look like they could produce some fun bridging technical trickery.

BenF

• forum hero
#1819 Re: YYFY!!!
June 21, 2010, 04:23:37 pm
Right, thanks to JB saying 'bastard' in his reply, I can't access this page at work! So I'm using my phone.

As andy says, it is better than it looks, although it can be a bit mossy in places. And as JB said, its like a mini nesscliffe for boulderers. Kind of like pex but with smaller holds and no scallies.

The amazing v4 that andy mentioned is truly wonderful and I think I have a photo or two of it, so I'll try and get it up on here too.  As for the photo probes linked to, I don't recognise it, but andy and I do have other sandstone gems up our sleeves (mostly due to andy's hard work to be honest).

And chris, the corners look fun, but they generally disappoint. The quality is in the harder wall climbs really. The aretes are great but easy, the walls are where its at. Tiny edges and monos.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1820 Re: YYFY!!!
June 21, 2010, 04:25:30 pm
Where is it? I'd love to go and have a look and climb..  :bounce:

TomP

• obsessive maniac
    • www.tompeckittclimbing.com
#1821 Re: YYFY!!!
June 21, 2010, 04:57:27 pm
This does look great. I'm moving south for a bit and need places like this for the weekend climbing commute. Can you give us some directions or should we wait for the topo?

BenF

• forum hero
#1822 Re: YYFY!!!
June 21, 2010, 07:24:16 pm
The topo is to be within the forthcoming BMC Cheshire guide, but I'm not sure when it'll be done.  Until then, it's easy to find...

Harmers Wood is located just behind Helsby Hill.  Approaching Helsby on the A 56 from Frodham turn left on to Old Chester Road at the end of the long straight and after you have passed Helsby High School.  After a bend turn left onto Bates Lane and after 500 metres turn steeply right onto Hill Road North and park up at a small car park (with a big sign) just after a sharp bend.  Enter the woods on the obvious path and turn left on a subsidiary path after 50 metres.  The main quarry is obvious.

Andy and I will obviously be offering guided tours to anyone keen to climb there, if we can make it.  However, its far too hot to climb anything that hard at Harmer's at the moment.  Autumn will be a good time to get there.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1823 Re: YYFY!!!
June 21, 2010, 07:42:15 pm
 :o :o :o

That looks incredible!

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#1824 Re: YYFY!!!
June 21, 2010, 09:50:47 pm
Looks fab  :great:. Will deffo head up sometime, baby and Limestone permitting.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal