UKBouldering.com

YYFY!!! (Read 2102837 times)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#450 Re: YYFY!!!
March 11, 2009, 05:00:41 pm
YYFY!  Finally, I've done Underhand at the 'cliff.  Curious children will no longer anxiously tug at their parents and ask "Mummy.. why is there a man hiding in that cave... and just why does he look so angry?"  Well, that's unless I decide to work on the extension - although without a bouncy castle that's unlikely (the landing for the final few moves is horrible... and that hold before the last pocket seems to be getting smaller).

Bloody annoying in a way though - I decided to try a slightly different way of using my left foot and bagged it three goes later (after over 2 years of falling off... that's a lot of time I'll never get back!).  Still, to make the day perfect I won some petrol money for future ticking trips with a bet on Master Minded at Cheltenham... Get in!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#451 Re: YYFY!!!
March 11, 2009, 05:07:49 pm
That's a fucking good day!

andy_e

• forum hero
#452 Re: YYFY!!!
March 11, 2009, 07:21:16 pm
 :thumbsup: bon effort boy! Great problem isn't it? I'd say definitely get on the extension, it only adds a bit on and with mats and spotters it's perfectly fine!  :thumbsup:

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#453 Re: YYFY!!!
March 12, 2009, 06:56:44 pm
Cheers Andy.  The extension is definitely on the radar, although I'm not sure what will take longer to get: the stamina, the extra mats, or some spotters.  Anyway, back to business: another YYFY.... this is getting faintly ridiculous:

Today, still shellshocked after vanquishing Underhand, my nemesis for 2-3 years, I dragged my aching body to Caley, intending just a quick circuit.  Bewilderingly, within a couple of hours of my first attempt, I managed Two Squirrels.  I'd only gone for a quick feel - just to see whether it was a feasible summer project.  I don't know... you wait years to climb something harder than 7a+/b and then two come at once.    Anyway its a great problem: funky moves that almost give arse-dragging a good name, although my palms now need a skin graft.

Just goes to show... pretty much only climbing indoors for months and gaining a load of weight isn't necessarily a killer (at least when you're an under-weight weakling). 

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#454 Re: YYFY!!!
March 12, 2009, 07:45:43 pm
Slightly less of a YYFY than MooseMan, but I have had to tighten up my belt by another notch this week. 36" trousers are now a bit too big.

Bring on the 34 inchers!

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#455 Re: YYFY!!!
March 12, 2009, 11:11:20 pm
Firstly, apologies to FJ. I was fully intending on going to do ED and have a play on Hurricane with you, but I now don't need to go back to the GW bloc. I've done ED from the sitter (YYFY)! Ok so I haven't done Hurricane, but I doubt I ever will. So that's me finished with that bloc. Woohoo!

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#456 Re: YYFY!!!
March 12, 2009, 11:19:30 pm
36" trousers are now a bit too big.

Bring on the 34 inchers!
I'd stick with the 36'ers, Lagers. Half masts are always gonna look daft

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#457 Re: YYFY!!!
March 12, 2009, 11:24:15 pm
Firstly, apologies to FJ. I was fully intending on going to do ED and have a play on Hurricane with you, but I now don't need to go back to the GW bloc. I've done ED from the sitter (YYFY)! Ok so I haven't done Hurricane, but I doubt I ever will. So that's me finished with that bloc. Woohoo!

Good effort! ...But have you done Jihad, and Humpin' (admittedly not great lines) and the problems on the wall opposite GW? The pit is still calling your name....

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#458 Re: YYFY!!!
March 12, 2009, 11:41:46 pm
Not really a YYFY moment, but to DREW well done on ED, me and the lanky Sandstone fella that spotted you today also did ED & GW so thank fuck we won't have to return to that urinal again either!!

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#459 Re: YYFY!!!
March 12, 2009, 11:58:31 pm
Not really a YYFY moment, but to DREW well done on ED, me and the lanky Sandstone fella that spotted you today also did ED & GW so thank fuck we won't have to return to that urinal again either!!

Cheers guys, and cheers for the spot. Don't think I could've done it without!

Good effort! ...But have you done Jihad, and Humpin' (admittedly not great lines) and the problems on the wall opposite GW? The pit is still calling your name....

Well the wall opposite scares the shit out of me so I aint doing anything there, and I've never heard of Jihad, or Humpin'. Where are they? Oh and I suppose I should do Extended Warfare, and maybe even Original Warfare. But I can't be arsed!

r-man

• forum hero
#460 Re: YYFY!!!
March 13, 2009, 12:35:07 am
Sorry, ignore me - those other problems aren't all that. Bask in the glow of your success and never go there again!

But just in case you can't resist... Jihad starts up GW, then instead of traversing rightwards make a big throw for the ED sloper and finish up that - 7b/+. Humpin' climbs the right arete from sitting, without the jugs right of the arete, then finishes up GW - 7a+. On the opposite block there are some problems that stop at the ledge.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:40:34 am by r-man »

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#461 Re: YYFY!!!
March 13, 2009, 06:38:27 pm
Jihad is ok for something to do if you've done everything else.
Humping is just plain shit

dave

#462 Re: YYFY!!!
March 13, 2009, 07:56:37 pm
Jihad starts up GW, then instead of traversing rightwards make a big throw for the ED sloper and finish up that - 7b/+.

you've just described early doors there. jihad starts in the crack and traverses rightward with hands on the pinches and sloper rail (feet in the GW flake) to the hurricane sloper, then throws rightwards to the early doors finish.

There's also a good one there, start sitting on the jug rail round the rigth arete, reverse EW to the GW sloper then keep going left along the ED slopers to top out, about 7bish.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#463 Re: YYFY!!!
March 16, 2009, 02:06:01 pm
yesterday i sent the infamous amiata roof, the direct line. twice.
where until a few hours ago there was a beautiful boulder, full of wonderful lines, now there's only wasteland. i destroyed everything.
YYFY.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#464 Re: YYFY!!!
March 16, 2009, 02:18:28 pm
 :beer2:

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#465 Re: YYFY!!!
March 16, 2009, 02:27:31 pm
Jihad ...7b/+. Humpin'...7a+

I think you've got those grades the wrong way round there. Jihad is easy 7b and Humpin is a tricky 7b+ (unless one has a dubious approach to dabbing).

Jihad is ok for something to do if you've done everything else.
Humping is just plain shit

I think you've got those descriptions the wrong way round there. Jihad is a dull, set holds eliminate, whereas, although Humpin' is a 'tight line,' it is a line, and has some interesting moves.

r-man

• forum hero
#466 Re: YYFY!!!
March 16, 2009, 02:33:31 pm
Dunno. Maybe I did Humpin' wrong? Pull on left hand pinch thing (without using elbow on the block), right hand arete, right heel round arete. Slap for small right hand edge. Hard climbing over. Left foot up, swing to good left hand holds, finish leftwards up GW. ??

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#467 Re: YYFY!!!
March 16, 2009, 02:44:44 pm
Good effort crushing that undercut pinch! I went left hand first to a sloper, which caused a tricky controlled swing between the boulders. I'll reserve judgement on your heel position until I see it though, as I've witnessed your dodgy logic when it comes to foot rules, on Hurry On Sundown. ;).

I was just quoting Dave and Dan's original grade really though.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#468 Re: YYFY!!!
March 17, 2009, 01:35:10 pm
Just had a call from James Foley who has just done Lou Ferrino... Sure he will be along to pump his own trumpet - but well done beast!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#469 Re: YYFY!!!
March 17, 2009, 07:20:28 pm
Can I just add that he went to the cave alone, without telling anyone and no one was there to witness it.
hmmmmmmmm
also was seen unable to do any of the moves on saturday as well
hmmmmmmmm
Hopefully he'll be doing it again tomorrow

Good effort beast, I'm well jealous

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#470 Re: YYFY!!!
March 17, 2009, 07:23:00 pm
Can I just add that he went to the cave alone, without telling anyone and no one was there to witness it.
Good effort beast, I'm well jealous

Too be fair, Doyle probably saw it from his living room...

Doylo

• forum hero
#471 Re: YYFY!!!
March 17, 2009, 08:07:51 pm
I saw a man crouching in the back of the cave masturbating, yeah sounds like Foley.

guru

• www.climbingtraining.it
#472 Re: YYFY!!!
March 17, 2009, 10:35:23 pm
W illoreee!!!!!!  :beer2:
..where there was a roof, now there is only a heap of rubble... happy biceps!

(woz)

• forum abuser
#473 Re: YYFY!!!
March 18, 2009, 11:26:34 am
After failing miserably on my projects all winter, feeling weak, then busting two tendons in my right hand, I finally got a YYFY moment this morning: A job lined up for after uni in Shipley. Bring on the glen. :alky:

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#474 Re: YYFY!!!
March 18, 2009, 12:21:55 pm
Early monday I finally managed to erase from my memory the shit sequence that I was using and do Andy's Arete at Glendalough. Not much YYFY more relief that my left hand never has to pull on that f--king crimp again.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal