UKBouldering.com

YYFY!!! (Read 2103081 times)

dave

#300 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 11:14:33 am
i think the key here is he didn't just get to the lip holds and decided he couldn't be arsed topping out, he didn't top out because of the 3" of snow. I say this is fair enough. In my mind having several inches of snow on the top temporarily turns the problem into no-topout problem, as if it was crag-based (would it be any less of a problem if it was crag based? no). lets excersise some common sense for christ's sake.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#301 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 11:18:00 am
Not wanting to put words in his mouth but Dob is saying that it's all about the move on this problem, not in general. The Joker is universally known as a "one move" problem. There's no comparison between someone dogging their way up a route and taking the tick and not being able to do a 4A top out due to it being covered in snow.

By the way, those kind of tactics and claiming of routes are certainly not "the modern standard" (as slackers has pointed out) and I saw similar on SS on numerous occasions 20 years ago.

Averageman

• menacing presence
  • pushing hard and getting nowhere fast.
#302 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 11:36:48 am
Not wanting to put words in his mouth but Dob is saying that it's all about the move on this problem, not in general. The Joker is universally known as a "one move" problem. There's no comparison between someone dogging their way up a route and taking the tick and not being able to do a 4A top out due to it being covered in snow.

By the way, those kind of tactics and claiming of routes are certainly not "the modern standard" (as slackers has pointed out) and I saw similar on SS on numerous occasions 20 years ago.
I do understand what your saying, i am just attempting to clarify in my own mind the thoughts of others, sadly yes SS can leave a man feeling jaded.
Oh and Dave i did take the snow into consideration, and i accept your point about crag based problems.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#303 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 11:37:00 am
I'm firmly of the 'no top, no tick' school; however. let's be clear he did hit the top, he held the top, he went to stand up on the top.  To my mind the problem is well and truly ticked.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#304 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 11:56:54 am
in that case i got the tick on everest several years ago, not topping out due to a smattering of snow on top

..about 15,000 foots worth of smattering

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#305 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 12:10:07 pm
Not wanting to put words in his mouth

Thats not like you. Usually you are only too keen to put things in my mouth...

Anyway, I wholeheartedly agree with Jasper and dave - with specific reference to the Joker its all about getting to the lip. As long as you arrive at the lip and can be shown to be in control, and as you can see, i do stick my head over to confirm no snow mice have carved a handy ice runnel (they hadnt), so its not as if I lucked out, hit the top and fell off.

Ultimately, as Percy has alluded to above, its up to my moral compass whether I'm happy with what I did, and I am. I know I did it, and I'm happy. I think its important to be honest though, and this has been an interesting debate. Finally, I'm hoping to have another look at it tomorrow, so who knows - I may get to do the all important 5b mantle then!

T_B

• forum hero
#306 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 12:13:42 pm
and this has been an interesting debate.

Hmm, not sure about that!!! In the case of the joker i think anyone who says you haven't done the problem is either a) a mountaineer or b) taking the p*ss.

As for west side story or other such blocs where people traverse off and claim the tick.... i don't know how they can sleep at night  ;)

Well done BTW - looks like a sweet move.

hairich

• obsessive maniac
#307 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 12:35:38 pm
i cant believe this is even being discussed. i was there doing the filming. dobbin did it easy first time and totally static second time. what is the point of trying to swim up a slab covered in 6 inches of snow only to fall off break an ankle and have 3 months off. get a grip he pissed it.

Averageman

• menacing presence
#308 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 01:09:07 pm
i cant believe this is even being discussed. i was there doing the filming. dobbin did it easy first time and totally static second time. what is the point of trying to swim up a slab covered in 6 inches of snow only to fall off break an ankle and have 3 months off. get a grip he pissed it.
Jeeeeses, what! you get a grip, i can see he pissed it, and i take my hat of to you Dobbin, its more than i can do at the moment, GOOD EFFORT.  :great:
I was merely asking the question of what is more important, the move or the problem complete.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#309 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 01:35:46 pm
To be fair, a mountaineer would have given topping out a proper go. I'd have like to have seen dob do that, would have made an ace video  :thumbsup:

However, I'm definitely liking the way you catch that hold dob, very controlled. Next time do a one armer on it before matching??

chillax

• forum abuser
#310 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 01:37:24 pm
I think the more important question here is a consensus grade for the topout! We've had everything from 4a to 5b. Its a travesty that such an important piece of climbing history remains ungraded.... ;)

p.s. effort Dobbin, you made it look like piss! :bow:

Averageman

• menacing presence
#311 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 01:47:54 pm

Snow, no problem.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#312 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 01:54:21 pm
I'd have like to have seen dob do that, would have made an ace video  :thumbsup:

The Ace video is expected in a couple of months  :P

hairich

• obsessive maniac
#313 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 02:57:48 pm
whoa there averageman.you seem to think my comment was aimed at you.it was in general to anyone who didnt think ben had done the joker.

Averageman

• menacing presence
#314 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 03:11:06 pm
whoa there averageman.you seem to think my comment was aimed at you.it was in general to anyone who didnt think ben had done the joker.

Ok fair do's, but i was the only only one who asked the question, does that constitute a send.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#315 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 03:12:51 pm
a tick for me is standing on the top having done all the moves.

you'd hate the Tor then.
with good reason

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#316 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 03:20:12 pm
I'd have like to have seen dob do that, would have made an ace video  :thumbsup:

You cock cheese slackers! I was gonna say that. Dammit.

Anyway, I'm a really nice guy and I cant believe you're all saying these awfil things. You're gonna make me hang up my boots (where is the boot rack?).

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#317 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 03:23:47 pm
(quote) Finally, I'm hoping to have another look at it tomorrow, so who knows - I may get to do the all important 5b mantle then!
[/quote]

Hopefully there will still be enough snow so you can plant a flag in the summit.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#318 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 03:27:18 pm

:-*

Averageman

• menacing presence
#319 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 03:28:33 pm

Anyway, I'm a really nice guy and I cant believe you're all saying these awfil things. You're gonna make me hang up my boots (where is the boot rack?).
^^^NO don't do that, saw some of your other vids on Vimeo, your doing good lad.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#320 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 03:31:47 pm

This is the best thread ever. I would give you +ve karma for that but you've had more than enough for one week.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#321 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 03:39:56 pm
pedofil

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#322 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 04:32:01 pm
I think the more important question here is a consensus grade for the topout! We've had everything from 4a to 5b. Its a travesty that such an important piece of climbing history remains ungraded.... ;)

You could always ask Scott?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#323 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 04:38:55 pm
Jas, it's often difficult to grade moves like that on the flash.  After all, a bouldering grade is for a worked (ie easiest method) ascent, so unless Scott happened upon the perfect sequence he may not be the best person to comment.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#324 Re: YYFY!!!
February 10, 2009, 06:47:08 pm
I can remember some fat punter from Nidderdale trying to sandbag me on a V2 at Brimham, I flashed it to the ice covered top before faffing about trying to clear enough snow before giving up and dropping off.

Said fat punter tried to deny me the flash before failing to even try the first move.

He then tried to give me crap for not topping out.

I called it an 'ice flash' and the fat punter something dreadfully rude.

I think Percy, in general terms has a point.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal