UKBouldering.com

Advice on opening a new private/club climbing wall (Read 2308 times)

dave k

• obsessive maniac
We have just been evicted and our wall and gear is currently in storage. The wall was started about 2 years ago by about 10 climbers and was located in a building owned by a friend. Everything was very unofficial and the owner of the building charged a very low rent for the room (all in).

We are currently looking for new premises and have a few potentials, but the rent will be more than double and then will have rates and insurance on top.

anyone got a group wall, been in a similar situation and have any advice.

Can business rates be legally avoided?
Should we become an official club? (supposed to have some tax benefits)
How long does it take to get club status?
Do we have to be open to the public to be club?
Signing the lease- Is there a way to ensure that no one individual is liable if debts are owed?

Answers to any or all of the above will be very useful. 

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
We're in an almost identical position as you guys were (although still resident in the premises). When setting the coop up, I looked at industrial units but soon wrote them off as their rates and business rates were seriously high. In the end we just happened about a premises and got lucky.

I wouldn't become an official club. I'm pretty sure there are official structural regulations in place that all climbing walls now have to conform to and there's probably obvious costs implicated in doing this (Percy et al. please feel free to correct me if I'm way off the mark here).

Best of luck in getting your gig back.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
Think you are probably right tom. Whatever you do dont be open to the public or else all sorts of questions of liability etc will become a thorn in your side. Rather than looking for a building or an industrial unit keep an eye out for an old garage or something - it doesnt have to be celubrious does it?

leek_lad

Hi Monolith,

By becoming an official club there maybe a potential for cost savings. See - www.cascinfo.co.uk

Its not exactly where we are yet now but it maybe what we need to become.

Let me know your thoughts.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
It's encouraging to see such enthusiasm for sports at a grass roots level. In our case, it has always been intended as an exclusive training facility designed, financed and maintained by a small group. I don't know for sure, but when you start to involve the 'community' at large, you start to open yourself up to all manner of answerability. For us, that isn't an attractive option and paying £12.00 each a month inclusive of all rates, it needn't be an issue.

As dobbin says, hard work in searching for a premises is sure to pay dividends( I treated the hunt for a venue as a full time job when I was out of work for a good while).  I don't know what your local situation is but there may be sympathetic people sub-letting council premises who in turn, you may be able to mega sublet off.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 03:42:02 pm by Monolith, Reason: words »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal