Calories (Read 9344 times)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#25 Re: Calories
October 11, 2007, 03:39:36 pm
anyway,
i didn't say i don't understand running, because i do: you put one foot in front of the other as fast as you can.
i don't understand why a boulderer should put a lot of emphasis on running, aside of doing it for his own pleasure.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#26 Re: Calories
October 11, 2007, 05:41:01 pm
Exactly, Nibs.  It's a load of cack that running's the only way a guy can lose some pounds. 

Dense is wrong about swimming.  Run two K - check your stats.  Swim two K - check your stats. 

Oh you get it now?!  :wave:

Paul B

• forum hero
#27 Re: Calories
October 11, 2007, 05:45:42 pm
does swimming target fat as effectively? (Genuine question)

and I also thought that, where in running its difficult to put on muscle mass, in swimming it isn't as hard?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#28 Re: Calories
October 11, 2007, 06:00:21 pm
A:  Don't know (Genuine answer).

For the time I spend doing each activity, I lose more podge swimming than running.

I know shit about the science, Paul, but it takes way longer and with more resistance to move 2K in water than it does running.  I'm not saying running is a shit way to lose some fat, just that swimming is a great cardio activity that rinses you proper, is kinder on knees and ankles and shouldn't be discounted.

Trust me, since giving up tabs 4 months ago I've eaten and drunk my own weight in cheese, port and fine chocolate.  Losing weight now - scoffing less, exercising (mostly swimming and endurance skipping).  It's working.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 06:06:14 pm by Houdini, Reason: Slelginp »

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#29 Re: Calories
October 11, 2007, 06:03:16 pm
I hate swimming unless it's up to a bar in a hotel pool and I can't even run to the shop. The hill at the top of Granville Road gets me every time. Luckily I'm not fat.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#30 Re: Calories
October 11, 2007, 06:05:31 pm
i used to swim alot also. but it was booooooooooring.
one two three breathe left.
one two three breathe right.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#31 Re: Calories
October 11, 2007, 06:14:02 pm
i used to swim alot also. but it was booooooooooring.
one two three breathe left.
one two three breathe right.

funny. that's the technique i taught my last two girlfriends...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#32 Re: Calories
October 11, 2007, 06:20:54 pm
Alright I'll fess up.  Do most of my swimming in a huge pool with a savage wave machine.  Swim or get swamped.  You need to go like the clappers to stay alive.  I'm crafty, and I'll swim upright with hands behind back treading water frog style when the machine's on and move to lengths in the other, larger pool when it's not.  You get well fucked.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#33 Re: Calories
October 12, 2007, 07:24:33 am
Do most of my swimming in a huge pool with a savage wave machine.  Swim or get swamped.  You need to go like the clappers to stay alive. 

Who exactly is this pool aimed at? It sounds a bit like an SBS training facility. Is the water incredibly cold, and filled with icebergs? Do you have to cross it carrying a C8 SFW and a Pelicase fuil of PE4, planting mines on the way?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#34 Re: Calories
October 12, 2007, 07:32:16 am
Who exactly is this pool aimed at?

Oddly enough kids and biddies. It all depends on which attendant is on the job.  Sometimes the waves are just outrageous: close to 1.5m from peak to trough (that's loads indoors).  One time I ignored the "please stay 2m away" (from the zone where water gets pushed and pulled through a barred opening at the business-end) and got thoroughly bashed-up against the bars - I though I was going to get sucked through and minced.  Shat me right up.  It's powerful - you get real lean on 2 to 3 sessions a week.

It's mostly full of nubile, dusky Turkish girls...

webbo

• forum hero
#35 Re: Calories
October 12, 2007, 08:20:12 am
you may not know about science but what about maths.if you run 2k it will take about  10 to 15 mins.if you can swim 2k in this time why aren't you swimming in the olympics.
running isn't the only answer its just one way of helping manage weight/calorie intake.i no longer run as my ageing and decrepit body no longer can take it.but when i could i found it no detriment to my climbing. i climbed 4 days a week and went running 3 times aweek.
i belive some form of aerobic activity helps in any sport teaching you to breathe effectively.its also something to do when you've injured some part of your upper body.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#36 Re: Calories
October 12, 2007, 08:45:08 am
Sometimes the waves are just outrageous: close to 1.5m from peak to trough (that's loads indoors). 

Sounds great for body surfing. If that doesn't tire you out, nothing will; swim like fuck, then hold your breath while riding the wave. Yes, swimming is dull as fuck, but it definitely works me more than running. Try varying the routine using floats, trading water, or throwing in a length underwater every now and then.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#37 Re: Calories
October 12, 2007, 08:58:14 am
If you run 2k it will take about  10 to 15 mins.if you can swim 2k in this time why aren't you swimming in the olympics?

I prefer the gymnastics.  ;)

The whole point of my argument revolved around Dense and his "forget swimming - it's crap" (vague words to that effect).  It's not.  It's proven.  It works.  It's fun.  And it so much better than on your ankles.  How much do you boulder?  I've bouldered exclusively for nearly 10 years now and my ankles are shocking.  Running ain't bad, but there are other ways.

All the things you say about running are bang on.  What do you want?  A medal?

I swim mostly underwater, it's a neck position thing (I've a hernia there) and spend a lot of time in the pool holding my breath.  Do you think this could improve ones' anaerobic endurance?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#38 Re: Calories
October 12, 2007, 10:12:27 am
I swim mostly underwater, it's a neck position thing (I've a hernia there) and spend a lot of time in the pool holding my breath.  Do you think this could improve ones' anaerobic endurance?

It must do? I certainly notice gains. Need to get back to pool training now that winter is approaching.

webbo

• forum hero
#39 Re: Calories
October 12, 2007, 07:13:49 pm

no but it might get you a staring role if they ever do a remake of dallas.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#40 Re: Calories
October 14, 2007, 06:08:39 pm
So, as a result of Houdini's commando swimming exploits, and partly because I think it's time to test whether swimming is "crap" or now, I have ordered myself a triathlon wetsuit, some goggles and a yellow rubber hat.

If I get bored of prancing around at the torture garden, I think I will start venturing out into the deliciously sparkling English Channel, seeing as it's only a mile or so down the road.  I think I will start off with a spot of fairly conventional swimming, and then progress to more covert activities, such as boarding cross channel ferries, assassinating fisherman and looking for sewage outlets.

I will report back with my "crapness" conclusions....

Yossarian

• forum hero
#41 Re: Calories
October 14, 2007, 06:09:36 pm
i did quite fancy this suit, but it was going to clash with my goggles...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#42 Re: Calories
October 15, 2007, 07:27:34 am

Full points to Yoss for contemplaing swimming in The Filthy Channel.  Crazy fucker, don't forget the nose clip & snorkel.  That suit is gorgeous.

Webbos' remarks about running as it gives the (injured?) upperhalf a rest are sound.  Whilst I run a little, I'd prefer to swim as it lets the crunchy ankles rest.  (PS:  I think you are confusing Dallas with The Man From Atlantis!  Patrick Duffys' finest moments on the small screen.)

webbo

• forum hero
#43 Re: Calories
October 15, 2007, 08:23:46 am
no i was trying to display my knowledge of patrick duffys career progression.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal