UKBouldering.com

EOS 400D (Read 4612 times)

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
EOS 400D
October 06, 2007, 11:01:09 am
so I am going to get a new camera, would anyone recomend this, or something else

looking for a digi slr around £400

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#1 Re: EOS 400D
October 06, 2007, 03:38:56 pm
I really rate mine. Only had it a few months but like it a lot. The standard lens isn't amazing so well worth upgrading soon. Check out http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Outlet for some bargains. Some are ex-display and the like but pretty mint with full warranty etc. Good tip is to check out the going rate on completed listing (currently around £330 min) then use the 'bidding assistant' to bid on a load until it gets you one for that price.  With in a couple of days it should get you a bargain. Worked for me.  ;)

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#2 Re: EOS 400D
October 06, 2007, 04:13:03 pm
cheers for info, but made my mind up, just been playing with some down the shop and will probably go for the 30D

i font the 400 just a tad to small for my big hands, and the extension pack to make it bigger is around the £100 mark, so fo just a little extra I can get the 30D, mind you I did like the 400 ;D

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#3 Re: EOS 400D
October 06, 2007, 11:39:20 pm
The 30D is very nice, but it is getting on a bit, remember that essentially you are buying 350D electronics in a nicer body. It lacks such things as sensor cleaning as well as having less pixels. If you've got some wedge to spend now consider getting the 400D body and one or two decent lenses, then upgrading to a 40D in a year or so when the prices have dropped.

If you've decided on the 30D the same tip applies. Canon Outlet is shifting 30D's as low as £400.

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#4 Re: EOS 400D
October 07, 2007, 10:56:17 am
cheers for the info. Kind of come up with that conclusion last night, I thought it may be best to spend a little time mulling it over before parting with loads of cash.

As i say, the only thing i didnt like about the 400 is the size, would you recommend buying the battery extention pack, makes the body better to handle but at £129 is it worth it?

Also what lense would you recomed upgrading to, I have seen a special on the tamron 70-300mm f4/5,6di. I is this any good,

This is the first real camera i have bought, so not that much knowlage

cheers guys

underground

• forum hero
#5 Re: EOS 400D
October 07, 2007, 09:25:47 pm
IMHO, anything you can do to improve battery duration is a plus. I guess that the grip takes more batteries - so may impact you on the number of spares you have to carry or the number of charges you haveto do to get a full set done (cos I don't actually know what it is or what the batteries in it are)

but for my Canon Ixus which takes a special Canon battery, it dies with no warning and you never know how close that time is (unlike say a mobile phone with an indicator) and cos we never bought a new one (£20 seems expensive for just one battery  :-[ )  it can be a royal pain in the posterior.

dave

#6 Re: EOS 400D
October 07, 2007, 09:44:35 pm
if the canon DSLRS are anything like the nikons then the battery life will be amazing and there should be no reason to buy the grip on the basis of battery life alone.

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#7 Re: EOS 400D
October 07, 2007, 10:53:50 pm
if the canon DSLRS are anything like the nikons then the battery life will be amazing and there should be no reason to buy the grip on the basis of battery life alone.

yes my old cannon normally last about 3 weeks on a trip. but the whole reason is for the extended grip, as I find the camera a tad on the small size for my man sized hands

dave

#8 Re: EOS 400D
October 07, 2007, 11:15:51 pm
i would say buy a bigger camera. the reason i prefered the feel of the D70 over the 350d was, amongst other things, there wasn't enough space for the fingertips of my right hand between the lens mount and the righthand grip. every shop display model i looked at had fingernail scratches on the plastic body by the lens mount! if this is your issue to then i suggest that adding a battery grip won't help.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#9 Re: EOS 400D
October 08, 2007, 06:11:43 am
2nd that.
we're not chimping here

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#11 Re: EOS 400D
October 19, 2007, 03:51:26 pm
I can get it down jessops for that price with a free case