UKBouldering.com

Flash Harry (Read 2150 times)

Yossarian

• forum hero
Flash Harry
September 28, 2007, 11:15:17 am
For the last few months I've been using my D200 in the studio, and it's been quite happy plugged into a big old Bowens flash rig. 

I decided to try it out with a portable Norman 200b setup, which worked fine for about an hour, and then the flashes stopped flashing.  And so I pulled the sync lead out, and had a look at it, and then plugged it in again (a technique that I also employ in other instances of performance problem), which resulted in the flash firing wildly. So I stopped. And then searched on the internet, and discovered that plugging big old flashes into digital cameras is not such a great idea.  I think I have killed the pc sync socket / circuit.  I will get my man to check it out at some point.

Anyway, it turns out that what you need is a Wein Safe Sync device.  This plugs into the hotshoe, and has both another hotshoe fitting and a pc fitting.  The device apparently reduces the flash trigger voltage to 6v, which is safe for both Nikon and Canon. That is working fine now. I understand that Canons are more susceptible to damage, and people have managed to completely fry the main board in this way.  What I thought was a little bit strange was that there didn't appear to be anything in big red writing in the Nikon manual about not plugging in flash equipment...

dave

#1 Re: Flash Harry
September 28, 2007, 11:40:44 am
I'm sure i've read somewhere about being careful with the trigger voltage when using old 3rd party flashes or studio shit, but it probably wasn't in any manual. I bet they don't cover it in the manual cos they themselves don't make any flash gear that would do that. fuck knows.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#2 Re: Flash Harry
September 28, 2007, 03:01:14 pm
I'm sure you're right. All the same, it's a bit irritating, especially when you've gone to all the trouble of putting polythene down on the studio floor, set all the lights up, and paid upfront to get fifteen glamour models to come and have a ketchup & piss fight...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#3 Re: Flash Harry
September 28, 2007, 03:18:48 pm
do you need an assistant?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal