UKBouldering.com

Installing XP on a laptop without cd drive (Read 3112 times)

account_inactive

• forum hero
Installing XP on a laptop without cd drive
September 24, 2007, 11:00:57 am
I've spent ages trying to sort this out and drawn a blank :(

My old computer has been failing bit by bit over the last few months.  The cd/dvd drive has stopped working and removed its entry from the Bios.  This means I couldn't do a re-install.  The hard drive is partitioned into c: (system) and D: (data).  I bought a IDE/USB adapter to try to recover the c: drive (d: is ok) from my new laptop.  I ran Fdisk on C: and its totally fucked. Instead of repairing it just deleted the drive.  Since then I have formated both drives and am looking to install XP.

All the info I find on the web is about installing to a usb pen or hard drive and seems very complicated.

Help :wave:

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
you can install via a network or from a USB stick. Easier than both of those is just buying a CD-ROM drive for under £10.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Super-Slim-External-USB-Portable-24x-CD-ROM-Drive-CC_W0QQitemZ330168235996QQihZ014QQcategoryZ3754QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

account_inactive

• forum hero
My computer won't boot from a USB device :( 

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom

account_inactive

• forum hero
The knacked one is an Acer.  Before I shell out I'm concerned that the Bios is not recognising the drive.  That's a bit weird is it not? I've never heard of that happening. 

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
You may be able to take the harddrive out and install XP on it from another machine. Could be a bit of a hassle. Is it really worth it now you have a new machine? Most options I can think of need it either to boot from USB or firewire etc.

account_inactive

• forum hero
I've removed the hardrive and linked it up to the ide converter and taken off the useful files. I need a seperate computer to the wife as I take ithe other one away with me to work. 

I knew this would be a nightmare

Thanks for the help

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
the reason the bios isn't recognising it is because the drive is knackered.
It's easy to replace the drive, I did it recently with someone else's computer and it fixed it just fine

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
If you have got 2 laptops, just take the drive out of one and test it in the other, should confirm the knackered drive

account_inactive

• forum hero
Finally figured it out ;D

My last ditch attempt was to put the laptop hard drive into another computer.  I managed to get an install, but when I replaced the hard drive I saw a blue screen of death!  Luckily I still had the old ACER install disks.  These installed fine, but would not boot on the other laptop but ................worked when I swapped the drives around!

Thanks for all the help along the way guys

BTW the CD/DVD drive is working (sometimes) but still does not show up in the BIOS.  Weird

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
BTW the CD/DVD drive is working (sometimes) but still does not show up in the BIOS.  Weird

That means its not working

account_inactive

• forum hero
Then why is it working now?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
Ok, when I say not working, I mean faulty, which is probably why its not been picked up by the bios

xelaxela

• regular
  • Alex
you could try flashing your bios but i would reseach using google and make shure you understand what your doing first

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal