UKBouldering.com

Sampsons Stones (Read 3542 times)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Sampsons Stones
September 08, 2007, 09:45:55 pm
Me and Johnny Righthand finger are off to the Sampsons stones on Wednesday, pretty keen as I have been looking at Greg's topo for ages and it looks spectacular.

Hoping to get some good sunshine and doing the whole early start thing to get the most of the day. Any recommendations for particularly top notch problems?

Cheers mofo's.

dave

#1 Re: Sampsons Stones
September 08, 2007, 10:19:43 pm
its not bad. not that many problems up there so the notion of recomending problems ain't that useful, the best things will be apparent and you might as well try everything. having said that stuff like that quasar and some good V5 thing are what i did. good landings etc.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#2 Re: Sampsons Stones
September 08, 2007, 10:22:07 pm
Cheers Dave.

Is the walk in killer? It dont sound plesant at all.

dave

#3 Re: Sampsons Stones
September 08, 2007, 10:37:35 pm
Well it ain't the Tor thats for muthafukking sure. It just takes a while. usual advice stands, carry a little stuff up as possible, but take plenty of water.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#4 Re: Sampsons Stones
September 09, 2007, 11:30:08 pm
I was up in the Lakes with my good lady over the weekend. Bumped into old school Llanberis legend, Leigh McGinley in Wasdale. He was limping with a painful looking swollen ankle. Said he'd walked over to the Sampsons Stones from Wasdale the previous day and spent a very enjoyable afternoon bouldering around, only to fall and badly twist his ankle. He then had to crawl Joe Simpson style back over Mickledore past the Scafell crags and back down to his tent at Wasdale head.

Hardcore!

(Sampsons Stones are great - well worth the walk imo)

sharkey

• addict
#5 Re: Sampsons Stones
September 11, 2007, 05:13:49 pm
The Sampson Stones do they rock your boat!!?? Went there for the second time this year, braving Hardknott pass again, way more scary than anything on offer at the boulders! nose to tail daytrippers in thier SUV's BMW's trying to prove how totally rad they all are Jeremy Clarkson stylee. I gave it another go but it aint the Bowderstone thats for sure.
Still don't get why these stones are hyped as some of the best in the country, a few ok problems, is bouldering in the Lakes really that shit?

Von~Ryan

#6 Re: Sampsons Stones
September 14, 2007, 10:48:14 am
Oh dear.I jacked golt off to go up to glen coe and guess what? It rained. So we never got to sampson stones in the end.
In reply to best bouldering in the lakes I've not heard of anyone saying it is chap. Don't forget, if there too boring there is three of the best crags in the country 15 mins walk from them. just an idea.  p.s not biting at you.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a

sharkey

• addict
#8 Re: Sampsons Stones
September 14, 2007, 01:16:30 pm
I am a little biased as i love the cragging there abouts, six year old with us, plus i can't get my fat ass up anything harder than about V6, so perhaps i'm not really doing the place justice.

Von~Ryan

#9 Re: Sampsons Stones
September 14, 2007, 08:13:07 pm
Thats right I jacked him off but I was desperate, and as his stuff is potent enough to use as fuel. I thought is was best!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal