UKBouldering.com

The weather, and broken bones (Read 4215 times)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
The weather, and broken bones
September 06, 2007, 09:57:31 pm
Bit of an odd one this, but Chris' post about a recent cold snap made me think.

I snapped my femur in two places a few years back, and ever since I seem to get a nagging pain in it when the weather changes. It doesn't matter of its going from hot to cold or vice versa, its a pain exactly where both breaks were. Sometimes it almost feels as though the bone is itching, sounds a bit weird but I cant explain it any other way. I have heard folks say to me that you are supposed to be able to feel a change in the weather through broken bones but how and why I do not know?

:-\

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: The weather, and broken bones
September 06, 2007, 10:10:04 pm

I have a motorbike collarbone injury that ached and itched for about 10 years :)

No idea why, but it hasn't done it recently so maybe it's just part of the long term healing process?

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#2 Re: The weather, and broken bones
September 06, 2007, 10:13:02 pm
It very weird isn't it? I stand up for most of the working day, and sometimes it can get so bad I have to park my arse for half an hour until it stops.

If ten years is the waiting time, I'm half way there!!  :great:

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: The weather, and broken bones
September 06, 2007, 11:49:01 pm
Yeah i'm currently getting the itching a lot with my leg. The doctor also told me that I would feel the break significantly more in cold weather so i'm looking forward to this winters bouldering  :great:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: The weather, and broken bones
September 07, 2007, 08:20:15 am
cold snap

snapped my femur

I landed badly when boudering at Stone Farm once, pre mat days and I cracked something in my heel, which ached for about 3 years whenever it got cold. Luckily I was living in South Africa, so it amounted to about 4 times a year.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Re: The weather, and broken bones
September 07, 2007, 08:52:07 am

Ouch - i can imagine big leg injuries are going to ache a lot worse than a teensy collarbone which isn't really even weight-bearing a lot of the time.

I tried to do some google to explain this mystery but all i found was similar stories of long term aches after breaks during cold weather. Maybe Fatdoc will know the science behind it....

a dense loner

• forum hero
#6 Re: The weather, and broken bones
September 07, 2007, 09:14:54 am
i talk less in winter cos of jaw ache

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#7 Re: The weather, and broken bones
September 07, 2007, 09:36:14 am
 You gotta stop sucking those dicks to cure the winter blues, Dense!    :lol:

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: The weather, and broken bones
September 07, 2007, 11:47:25 am

Ouch - i can imagine big leg injuries are going to ache a lot worse than a teensy collarbone which isn't really even weight-bearing a lot of the time.

I tried to do some google to explain this mystery but all i found was similar stories of long term aches after breaks during cold weather. Maybe Fatdoc will know the science behind it....

I think he's too busy running his evil commercial empire  ;)

I don't know whether the fact that the bone is being loaded more is beneficial? it seemed that the only thing they told me to do during recovery was to load it as much as possible. You can't really load a collarbone easily can you? The general aching in the leg subsided pretty quickly after the frame was off but I've been at the works for my last few sessions and it hurts a fair bit dropping on it from the top.

Doylo

• forum hero
#9 Re: The weather, and broken bones
September 07, 2007, 12:27:11 pm
You gotta stop sucking those dicks to cure the winter blues, Dense!    :lol:

Thats like asking the Pope to revoke Catholicism!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#10 Re: The weather, and broken bones
September 07, 2007, 06:02:53 pm
my back where i bust it hurts more in winter

my foot still hurts every fuckin day :(

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#11 Re: The weather, and broken bones
September 07, 2007, 08:19:52 pm

I think he's too busy running his evil commercial empire  ;)

I don't know whether the fact that the bone is being loaded more is beneficial? it seemed that the only thing they told me to do during recovery was to load it as much as possible. You can't really load a collarbone easily can you? The general aching in the leg subsided pretty quickly after the frame was off but I've been at the works for my last few sessions and it hurts a fair bit dropping on it from the top.

I tried getting back to my feet asap after my breakage, and I reckon it helped loads. I was back at work 3 months after and things did get better. I had a fair pile of Titanium in my leg, and whilst it was in, it felt pretty shit. I used to be a fairly good footballer, and I was under no false pretences I would ever be able to get back to my former standard, but when I had the metal in my leg it felt totally useless. I couldn't get any power in my leg, and it was slow and unresponsive. I had the titanium removed after 18 months and it is miles better now, almost as good as new. I still get the aching and itching, and Paul it will only get worse in winter mate, but on the whole its not to bad considering the bone was in 3 pieces!

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: The weather, and broken bones
September 07, 2007, 08:28:33 pm
...Paul it will only get worse in winter mate, but on the whole its not to bad considering the bone was in 3 pieces!

yeah thats the way i've been looking at it, i'm happy with the way i'm climbing at the minute and given the fact it was in a lot of pieces i'm very happy, minor aching and itching aren't really worth mentioning in the grand scheme of things.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#13 Re: The weather, and broken bones
September 07, 2007, 08:41:18 pm
Agreed, the ability to walk and climb is well worth the minor aching and itching. I still find the body's recovery skills amazing, albeit with a little help from the doctors, surgeons, physiotherapists etc. I had resigned myself to walking about with my NHS issued walking stick but decided I had to get on with it, and recovered quicker than was predicted.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal