UKBouldering.com

The Lakes (Read 4122 times)

Fatboy

• menacing presence
  • BFG (Bouldering Freak of Gangliness)
The Lakes
August 28, 2007, 10:29:21 am
Hi all,

Bit of an 'out of left field' type of topic but have just come back from the sunny Lakes (yep, you heard right!), and did some fab bouldering!!

Was in/at;
- Badger Rock: I found the traverses awesome and found topping out really quite hairy!!
- Little Font: Some great problems on slopy/crimpy holds that were so satisfying I had to do them twice (or more)!
- Carrock Fell: Rock as sharp as razor blades that I lost alot of skin to, with some great slopey problems!
- Honister Pass: Awesome main boulder with a great 5c problem down to the left with a heel hook had me hooked (plus a few more)!!

Will try and post some pics but thought I'd get peeps talking about it cuz I really had a blast and even though I go every year it never fails to please!!!!!

Cheers (and apologies for the ramble),
Mark

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#1 Re: The Lakes
August 28, 2007, 10:56:10 am
Glad you enjoyed yourself mate. It has been very nice up in the Lakes recently, you should try and make it to St.Bees next time. Bit out of the way from central Lakes but well worth the journey.

You were brave going to Carrock in the heat though! Good to see you enjoyed Honister as well, quality little venue.

Fatboy

• menacing presence
  • BFG (Bouldering Freak of Gangliness)
#2 Re: The Lakes
August 28, 2007, 12:07:10 pm
Thanks Golt, it was awesome! Yeah I think we had the perfect week just gone!! I was having a look at St Bees in the guide book alright and it did look good, so I think I might take your advise next year and explor there!

Luckily the day we were in Carrock Fells was earlier in the week when it was cooler with a stiff breeze!!  :thumbsup:

Yeah I think Honister was probably my favourite venue on this trip due to the quality of the problems! Either that or Little Font anyway...
We were stating in Rossthwaite so only 20 mins from the Bowderstone but never made it there!! Have been there before so it was cool.

Von~Ryan

#3 Re: The Lakes
September 05, 2007, 06:06:21 pm
Golt you nob heed, stop sending people on a wild goose chase to st bees you know fine well it's crap, bad landings friable loose rock,. The best bit about it is the easy access. however it is possibly the best place to get magic mushies for miles around. :bounce:

n_man

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: The Lakes
September 19, 2007, 11:01:27 pm
Only had a brief look at Carrock Fell after a bowderstone session. Looks good and did a few great probs. Whats the Kitts boulder like?

Greg C

• forum hero
#5 Re: The Lakes
September 24, 2007, 10:37:14 am
For hard problems it's the best boulder on the fell, with good landings which drain faster than all the other blocks.

On Kit's itself all these problems are class: Nightrider 7c+, Ghetto Style 7b, Losing my Feathers 7b, Railblazer 7c, Come All Ye Faithful 7a+, Terrace Wall 6a+.

You've also got a good "one move wonder" on the Whale boulder, just below - Hi Karate 7b. Monstro (7a) on the same block is anther worthwhile problem.

For a hidden treat (which is not documented in either the Lakes Bouldering guide or the LakesBloc guide) there's a really good wall problem in a pit up and left of Kits (i.e. hidden behind the big mossy boulder), this is Absynth Makes The Heart Glow Stronger (7a).

All these dry very quickly after rain.

Idol eyes

• junky
#6 Re: The Lakes
October 04, 2007, 11:29:26 am
I did a fantastic new problem at St Bees, I have returned 3 times and never found it again,,, the resident old dude, real pleasant guy,,, pointed me up it, can any one name the man who wears a benny hat?

Greg C

• forum hero
#7 Re: The Lakes
October 04, 2007, 11:34:42 am
That'd be Joe Wilson.

Every time I see this thread title for some reason I think of this - http://www.tv.com/the-lakes/show/16792/summary.html

Idol eyes

• junky
#8 Re: The Lakes
October 04, 2007, 11:50:37 am
What a nice bloke,,, you still gathering info for a guide Greg, and have you been up to Shap yet? must get barney to give you some shots, do you know-been to Wind More End? worth documenting, did the prow lft of Public Enemy E3 6A, the thing I did was 6C and higher, have good footage if you know any one who needs it!
hope you are climbing well!

tc

• junky
#9 Re: The Lakes
October 20, 2007, 03:26:30 pm
Hiya. Any info you've got on the Shap stuff would be welcome. I've just moved to a village near Shap
tc

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal