UKBouldering.com

"Behind" speed cameras flashing you driving towards them?? (Read 36647 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
There was one of those average speed camera types when they were doing roadworks near Perth; 40 miles an hour. I always tried getting behind a large lorry when I went through the first set, but you never know.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Expecting a letter following the bank holiday... set off early saturday to go to abersoch, mobile van at the end of the long straight past ladybower - very well hidden. Can't see much 'safety' justification for that - anyone doing under fifty down that hill is too old to be driving.

Bad luck man, that sucks. Don't get me started on the Snake 50 limit, what a fucking pile of wank that is. Okay so like the A6 they don't really want people doing 50, they want them definitely sticking to below 60 instead of racing at 70+, but even so 50 is a fucking farce. Why not put it at 60 and have speed cameras for that speed?? And why not sort the fucking shit road out while they're at it. The section from Hagg farm to the Snake itself is fucking 3rd world.

I'm wary of that straight you got done on, tend to hurtle at at 70+ to the crest of the straight and then right down to 50 until I am very sure there's nothing there. Thankfully I think that's the only spot they can put a camera in?? Maybe the one by Hagg farm too....  :wank: the lot of them.

Fiend, I'd make sure you differentiate between gatsos and truvelos on the camera boxes themselves, not the road markings. More often than not nowadays they have both sets of markings combined. Dunno whether this is to confuse the informed or to make it easier to swap the cameras and catch folk out.

Cheers but this was definitely a Gatso, it had the right "face" (and no truvelo markings). But yeah am going to be careful in the future....will just have to drive a smidgeon quicker in between to make up for it ;).

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
There was one of those average speed camera types when they were doing roadworks near Perth; 40 miles an hour. I always tried getting behind a large lorry when I went through the first set, but you never know.

Right.... This is something I really want to know about going through specs:

Go through the first spec, number plate gets stored. Keep going at well over the speed limit. When you see the second specs in the distance, get behind a large lorry. Make sure you can only just see the specs with your own eyes, so the number plate (about 1m down and 1.5m forward) will definitely be physically hidden. Keep like that until past the specs then continue onwards, waving apologetically to the lorry driver.

Now, the specs will have got your number plate the first time, but the second time, I am right in thinking they simply cannot read your number plate from several metres of articulated lorry??

(Obviously this depends on having a lorry to hand and spotting the second specs in time).

Does this work?

dave

More often than not nowadays they have both sets of markings combined. Dunno whether this is to confuse the informed or to make it easier to swap the cameras and catch folk out.

I thought this was just where they had a gastro and replaced it with one of the newer type but couldn't be arsed to scrub the markings off the road. most fo me i've seen are like this. I've never seen a gastro with the new type markings.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
Fiend.  I'm not sure lining up speed cameras with the edge of the lorry you're 6ft behind is that wise.  Especially if you're also 'well above the speed limit.'

What's everyone's beef with speed cameras anyway.  If you want to razz it round all the time then fair enough, but you should expect to take some responsibility for it every now and then.  And surely a fine and points is preferable to hitting a kid.

SA Chris

• forum hero

Go through the first spec, number plate gets stored. Keep going at well over the speed limit. When you see the second specs in the distance, get behind a large lorry. Make sure you can only just see the specs with your own eyes, so the number plate (about 1m down and 1.5m forward) will definitely be physically hidden. Keep like that until past the specs then continue onwards, waving apologetically to the lorry driver.

Now, the specs will have got your number plate the first time, but the second time, I am right in thinking they simply cannot read your number plate from several metres of articulated lorry??

Does this work?

I have no idea, but don't see why it shouldn't. Although i would prefer to hide behind a lorry (shoud one be available) when going through the first camera, rather than have to worry about one being convenient when I reach the second.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Fiend.  I'm not sure lining up speed cameras with the edge of the lorry you're 6ft behind is that wise.  Especially if you're also 'well above the speed limit.'

Damn right of course. It's theoretical (I tend to go through specs at the speed limit constantly muttering "cunts your fucking cunts fucking wankers" and remember to cane it after them to make up for it.) Although....the idea perhaps being that you slow down to 50 to match the lorry just before the speed camera.

What's everyone's beef with speed cameras anyway.  If you want to razz it round all the time then fair enough, but you should expect to take some responsibility for it every now and then.  And surely a fine and points is preferable to hitting a kid.

I don't have THAT much beef with speed cameras per se, just with unjustifiable and stupid ones. For example the one that flashed me the wrong way IS justifiable coming into Leek, you go from a 50 to a 30 down a straight hill and then start entering a built up area....fair enough. Going out and uphill that way is pointless.

Or like the one that got JB, it's a complete farce....the next time I see groups of kids crossing that road I'll start to slow down for them.

I also think, speed cameras, as the quintessential flagship for the big brother nanny state, everyone likes to get around them, it's not so much people wanting to speed excessively (well not all of us anyway), it's just wanting to not be so forced to by that fucking grey/yellow box.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
I might have overdone the sanctimony there, and obviously the police can be sneaky cunts, but surely sometimes you've just got to take it on the chin if you get caught.

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 12:06:54 pm by Bubba, Reason: editted in error »

Paul B

• forum hero
I might have overdone the sanctimony there, and obviously the police can be sneaky cunts, but surely sometimes you've just got to take it on the chin if you get caught.

Sometimes yes and again I can completely understand them outside schools etc but some just strive to take the fun out of motoring and some are just damn right sneaky, I dont like it when they're painted green to fit in with the bushes or hidden behind signs (on the way up to Bowden), it just tilts the odds to much in the direction of the police. May I also point out that Co.Durham, the only county to have zero speed camera's was the only county to report a lower amount of RTA's than the previous year, so I also question their validity.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
May I also point out that Co.Durham, the only county to have zero speed camera's was the only county to report a lower amount of RTA's than the previous year, so I also question their validity.

Bang on. This is my major problem with them. They don't do the job they are supposed to do but instead are put in places where the only purpose they serve is making money. :wank:

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters

(Obviously this depends on having a lorry to hand and spotting the second specs in time).

Does this work?

The only set of these that I know of are the ones on the A14 and while your theory would seem valid on the face of it you with these sneaky mofo cameras there are a whole series of them one after the other so that average speed is calculated from A to B and then from B to C and so on until you enter some sort of torpid state where driving at more than 70 miles an hours is just totally untenable. Now I suspect that there may also be a correlation between average speed from A to C coming into play here given that any sneaky cnut who is prepared to monitor you between points A and B is also going to think ahead and factor in from A to C as well just to catch out those people who gun it as soon as they get past the specs camera.

The only good thing about these particular specs is that they are on the road to East Anglia where there is nothing to climb - not even sandstone exists in the climbing backwoods that is East Anglia so none of you fortunate chaps will ever have have to endure these awful machinations of the pigopolis money collecting state unless you have relatives there like I do.  :(

bluebrad

dave

May I also point out that Co.Durham, the only county to have zero speed camera's was the only county to report a lower amount of RTA's than the previous year, so I also question their validity.

Bang on. This is my major problem with them. They don't do the job they are supposed to do but instead are put in places where the only purpose they serve is making money. :wank:

I spoke to a guy recently who worked in road planning round Manc way and he was saying that at the stats show around known accident blackspots speed cameras have drastically reduced accidents. Also supposedly they don't make any money on speed cameras, infact I heard soemwhere they make a net loss on em. Bearing in mind I have no real evidence to back any of this up......but it is scientific fact.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
mobile van at the end of the long straight past ladybower - very well hidden. Can't see much 'safety' justification for that - anyone doing under fifty down that hill is too old to be driving.
Bad luck :(
There was a warning posted on here about that cam ages ago but you don't expect one to be out so early in the morning. Maybe to catch early bird bikers? I know it's forward facing but i guess if it triggers they can probably record your numberplate as you pass on by.

As for the timed distance motorway ones, I guess like most they don't prosecute until you exceed the ten percent plus three rule, that would mean in a fifty limit the hgv drivers can leave the cruise control where it is at 56.
In my experience driving tacho through specs 50 limits, the majority of LGVs will stick to the limit, and a few will crawl past. A lot of LGV firms won't take you on with more than 6 points, so most drivers don't take risks with their license. I have noticed quite a lot of cars going under 50 though...most car speedos read optimistically which would explain this.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I'm sure this would work, but it's a rather risky strategy, no?

And you'd have to be damn sure there's only 2 sets of cameras. Specs can measure your speed over multiple sets, so if a third one was there that you'd forgotten about you'd be fucked.

One thing about Specs is that I believe it's horribly expensive to implement, so it's possible many temporary ones are dummies anyway....but I guess it's less stress just to slow down.

I really don't like speed cameras in general, but they're not such a bad idea in some places like near primary schools, etc, etc. The one at the start of the snake is pretty horrible but is there to slow you down for the rest of the pass. Given that you could be passing that layby at over 100mph and the amount of people that splatter themselves on the snake then i can understand why the authorities feel it's justifiable, but I would still like it to self-combust. The worst ones are the ones like that one already mentioned that is hidden behind the sign in Northumberland.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 10:48:37 pm by Bubba »

SA Chris

• forum hero

Apparently Fife is exactly the same. I have no issue whatsoever with speeds restirctions and cameras in places where they are justified, but , for example, on an open motorway through cumbria in good light I think it is "reasonably" safe to go a bit faster than the specified limit. The french have a dual speed limit system based on weather conditions, why not here?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
The french have a dual speed limit system based on weather conditions, why not here?

Don't be ridiculous. That's far too sensible.

I spoke to a guy recently who worked in road planning round Manc way

Apparently all planner's are full of shit. I also have no evidence to back this up other than the fact that my Dad's an architect and he told me this.

dave

architects eh, you can't live with em, can't live without em. ::)

Paul B

• forum hero
don't get me started on Architects and/or planners.... We had some inter-disciplinary projects in my final semester and their input was an absolute joke, utterly unhelpful or just completely ridiculous.

Back on the topic - after just coming back from France/Belgium/Holland the increased speed limit on the motorway is really good, it seemed (to me anyway) that less people were breaking it, just the odd Porsche GT3 or something crazy not the usual ford ka being ragged to destruction. For some strange reason Belgium had no cruise control signs which I found a bit strange?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Looks like they have invented the T2 of speed cameras  :o

http://www.freebie-world.com/wptest/2007/08/29/road-rage-is-futile-bombproof-and-bulldozerproof-speed-camera-is-waaaatching-youuuu/

Some metal putty would still put it out of action for a while :)

Or even some spray paint for that matter.

lowlife

• regular
'behind' cameras on the opposite side of the road will go off if you travel towards them fast enough, but you also need to be close to the centre of the road This used to happen to me day in, day out on the A40 between cheltenham and Oxford. Very dangerous in the dark.
The first photograph may have your vehicle on it. The second photo will be of empty road. Your speed cannot be calculated and you cannot be prosecuted.The cameras have gone now thanks to the local farming community  ::)
JB on the other hand is fooked. Babylon loves that lay-by.

One snippet I picked up from somewhere is...if you are worried that a 'behind' camera has got you, drive back up the road and have a look at the back of the yellow box. If there are two grey covers behind the circular holes then the camera unit is not in place. If the holes are open then a camera unit is active. Apparently they kick out so much heat that the ventilation holes have to be opened once loaded with a camera unit. The flash is entirely seperate.

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
I've heard that those average speed cams cannot track individual cars if they persistently change lanes. Think Clarkson said something about this on Topgear or in one of his newspaper columns. If you go under one gantry over speed limit in outside lane and then speed past next gantry in overtaking lane then they don't recognise your motor as being the same vehicle (always seem to be 2 cameras on each gantry.) Not prepared to stake my (currently) clean licence on it though! Anyone else know the validity of this rumour?

andy_e

• forum hero
My driving instructor told me this too, but since then I think number-plate recognition technology has been introduced to stop this being possible.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Last time I was bored enough to read Jane's or Police Professional (every bit as fun as it sounds :yawn:) the adverts for the SPECS were saying 5 lanes of traffic per system was now standard.

Of course since we're likely to be behind the curve I'd say that three was probably the effective operating limit.

PS If you're caught be a SPECS camera you're to stupid to drive.  If you're caught by a fixed camera you're not paying attention.

And for the record I used to do >35k miles per year and have never had a speeding ticket (maybe it's a coincidence but I do great oral)

SA Chris

• forum hero
'behind' cameras on the opposite side of the road will go off if you travel towards them fast enough, but you also need to be close to the centre of the road This used to happen to me day in, day out on the A40 between cheltenham and Oxford.

Well I hope it's going to stand up to the test because I got flashed again this way, overtaking on the overtaking section just after Dunbar on Saturday.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal