UKBouldering.com

"Behind" speed cameras flashing you driving towards them?? (Read 36661 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
As far as I know there are two types of singular fixed speed cameras: "Behind" cameras that register your speed when you're driving AWAY from the camera where the road markings are a long series of spaced parallel dashes, and "Ahead" cameras that register your speed when you're driving TOWARDS the camera, where the road markings are 3 parallel road-width dashes close together.

Until recently I've never been flashed driving towards a "behind" camera, nor driving away from an "ahead" camera. As far as I know they work in their own specific ways.

But in the last week I've been seen a flash twice when I've been driving towards an "behind" camera (definitely a "behind" camera - long series of dashes NOT a close set of 3 lines). The first time there was traffic coming the other way which could have set it off, but the second time there was nothing. On both times there has been a vehicle slightly ahead travelling at a similar speed (40 in a 30 limit - no sanctimonious moralising please this is UKB not UKC) but I didn't notice a flash when they went past. Both of these are well-established cameras that don't seem to have been modified recently.

So.....WTF????

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
So expect a letter from the plod.

dave

Wonder what the letter will say?

"Dear Sir, our speed camera caught you reversing along the wrong side of the road, 10mph above the speed limit..."

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Dearest sloper do you know any more, like how these speed cameras have magically changed mid-August 2007??

Edit: I could really do with not having letters from the plod at this time. Especially in a situation where a speed camera is designed to catch people for an obvious reason (i.e. people who are coming into towns) and NOT the opposite direction (i.e. people who are leaving towns and close to the national limit).

Edit 2: And if these speed cameras DO have new capabilities to catch people going both ways, shouldn't people be spreading the word about this??

Edit 3: From http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/guide.htm#Gatso

Fixed installation post (F.I.P) Gatso speed cameras are rear facing as they use a 'flash' to capture the image required for prosecution, which would distract a driver if forward facing.

The forward facing Truvelo camera system is designed to take photographs of the front of a passing vehicle. This allows the picture taken to show the driver of the vehicle as well.
To avoid the 'flash' which is given out by a rear facing Gatso camera the Truvelo system uses an infra red flash which produces no visible 'flash' to the approaching driver.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 04:01:28 pm by Fiend »

Paul B

• forum hero
Don't forget the joy of 'SPECS' as well....

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
I hate SPECS because they're always in the least justifiable positions ever i.e. 40/50 limits on fucking motorways FFS. But at least I know that they get you driving towards them and currently only driving towards them.

Have been scouting around a bit more about this, nowhere says that Gatsos are capable of forward facing speed recording, from this: http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=22431 it sounds like a glitch.

And here: http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/FAQ/FAQ.htm

The most common speed cameras are the grey boxes on poles that are Gatso's. These use radar to measure a vehicles speed and then take 2 pictures half a second apart of any vehicle that passes above the set limit. Whilst these can be set to fire at the front of vehicles, it is extremely rare for them to be used like this. If a Gatso is on the other side of the road and facing you, they can go off in error and flash. If they do it is not likely to result in you being sent a NiP - in fact we have never heard of a case where the evidence (photo) from a Gatso on the other side of the road has been used to prosecute.

Well if they are glitchy I don't mind slowing down for the 5 seconds it takes to pass them in whichever direction.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 04:36:38 pm by Fiend »

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
For what it's worth, I was wondering this about 6 months ago. After digging around a little but and asking some questions I didn't have a definitive answer, so I just started driving through the rear flash type cameras in the opposite direction, but way over the speed limit. I concluded that they definitely can't flash you if you are going towards them. I then asked a friend at work who owns a motorbike and he says that he does through them, and forward facing ones, way over the limit all the time (but's that because he has no number plate on the front).

So I would rest easy that you aren't going to get a ticket.

Talking of lucky breaks, in london recently I got a ticket for being parked on a yellow line. I was parked outside my friends house, half on the drive, half off, and I suddenly saw this warden writing a ticket, so I ran downstairs and out the door telling him to stop cause he's making a mistake. Well, he didn't stop, and I was pretty pissed about it. Anyway, 30 mins later after calming down, I looked closely at the ticket and the warden had written my number plate incorrectly. It's all computerised, so there was no way I could be wrong about it. I guess when I came rushing out it flustered him, and he put VT02 instead of YT02. Result!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I wouldn't worry about it - if the camera was triggered in error then I doubt you would get an NIP from it. Were there markings on your side of the road?

To avoid the 'flash' which is given out by a rear facing Gatso camera the Truvelo system uses an infra red flash which produces no visible 'flash' to the approaching driver.
This is actually false - a Truvelo will flash in low light or at night. I know this because i've just got 3 points from one that went off in my face at 4am. I've also seen a biker trigger the flash on the Truvelo's on Prince of Wales Road in Sheff.

Bikers can effectively ignore Truvelo and Specs.

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
Unclesomebody.

Don't want to piss on your parade, mate, but those f**kers take digital photos of all the cars they ticket down these parts. Can use the photo to cross reference to your motor. Don't know the legal arguments, but still reckon you've got a strong case to appeal on a technicality.

Paul B

• forum hero
Bikers can effectively ignore Truvelo and Specs.

Is there something truckers know about specs that we don't? They always seem to be hassling me going through the Luton roadworks and i'm relying on my gps so I can go at the speed limit because the fiat's speedo is very optopmistic, they still overtake me etc and i've never seen one flash!

dave

I then asked a friend at work who owns a motorbike and he says that he does through them, and forward facing ones, way over the limit all the time (but's that because he has no number plate on the front).

I'm sure i've seen car on the road recently with no front number plate like in the USA/canada. Whats the legailty of that? Also, whats the legality of those fucking awful numberplates using non-standard fonts? Fuck it'd love it if they were as illegal as I hope (providing they actually enforce it).

Yossarian

• forum hero

Talking of lucky breaks, in london recently I got a ticket for being parked on a yellow line. I was parked outside my friends house, half on the drive, half off, and I suddenly saw this warden writing a ticket, so I ran downstairs and out the door telling him to stop cause he's making a mistake. Well, he didn't stop, and I was pretty pissed about it. Anyway, 30 mins later after calming down, I looked closely at the ticket and the warden had written my number plate incorrectly. It's all computerised, so there was no way I could be wrong about it. I guess when I came rushing out it flustered him, and he put VT02 instead of YT02. Result!

I had a similar experience near Waterloo once.  Left car on meter with about 10p in it. Got ticket. Ticket had Lxxx rathe than Jxxx. I bet it was that bloke off Traffic Warden Cunt Action who gets 100 tickets a day.

I have been deep in fear about 2 seperate suspicious vehicles on bridges over the last fortnight. Was doing about 110 along the M55 when I saw a blue van parked on a bridge. Spent the rest of the evening worrying about whether he was an unmarked car, but nothing in the post. Then on Tuesday morning I was cruising along the M6 just before Carlisle and I saw a similarly positioned van. That's a nice van I thought, admiring its blue and yellow paintwork. Then I saw the words "Cumbria Safety Cameras" or words to that effect down the side. Brakes on hard, copy of Female Weightlifters Monthly hits the dash and ends up in a heap on the floor. But again, no ticket as yet.

(I have slowed down a bit since, apart from a bit of convoy action with an M3 and an RS6 after an afternoon failing to go fast down the Ae downhill course.)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Also, whats the legality of those fucking awful numberplates using non-standard fonts? Fuck it'd love it if they were as illegal as I hope (providing they actually enforce it).

Grey area - depends on how many koi carp per wheel you have  8)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Is there something truckers know about specs that we don't? They always seem to be hassling me going through the Luton roadworks
Nah, they just have very accurate speedometers....linked to tacho, etc.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I then asked a friend at work who owns a motorbike and he says that he does through them, and forward facing ones, way over the limit all the time (but's that because he has no number plate on the front).
When i commuted to the Specs hell that is Nottingham on my bike, i used to ignore the speed limits on the ring road and never had any come back. Totally safe.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I'm sure i've seen car on the road recently with no front number plate like in the USA/canada. Whats the legailty of that?
Totally illegal.

Also, whats the legality of those fucking awful numberplates using non-standard fonts? Fuck it'd love it if they were as illegal as I hope (providing they actually enforce it).
I don't think there's any restriction on the font you are allowed, but there are restrictions governing the height/width/stroke/spacing/margins of the lettering.....so, a grey area i guess.

Paul B

• forum hero
thought you need to be able to read it from a certain number of yards?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

I think that's implied by the size regulations - otherwise who would you use to test the "visible from X yards" thang? A donut-munching copper with jam-jar specs? Or an eagle-eyed hero like Si O?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
FWIW I have been flashed twice by behind cameras on the opposite side of the road while overtaking, and not got a fine or anything. Both times was in the Borders and they are usually pretty strict. I don't think you can get caught going the opposite way, or else why would they only put luminous stripes on one side?

mark s

• junky
i've been flashed about 5 times going towards a gatso,never recieved a ticket for those.got flashed doing 37 in 30 got a ticket.also got a ticket for doing 47 in truck in a tempory 30 zone,never saw nothing for that one.but it was in north wales and cheif of police is a nazi.prob a sniper speed gun.dont think 6 points make any diff on insurance tho

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
i just been done, doing 110 in a 60 zone on a camera that never works It didnt even flash me. but hey court in 4 weeks time    :guilty:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Shit Neil, that's a bad one - I suspect you're looking at a lengthy ban :(

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
i just been done, doing 110 in a 60 zone on a camera that never works It didnt even flash me. but hey court in 4 weeks time    :guilty:

Good thing you're moving to France, cause that's going to be a straight ban. Just don't get banned (again!) in France!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Feel free to change this to a general speed camera thread, obviously a useful topic!

I generally avoid doing 110 in a 60  :ang:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Expecting a letter following the bank holiday... set off early saturday to go to abersoch, mobile van at the end of the long straight past ladybower - very well hidden. Can't see much 'safety' justification for that - anyone doing under fifty down that hill is too old to be driving.

Fiend, I'd make sure you differentiate between gatsos and truvelos on the camera boxes themselves, not the road markings. More often than not nowadays they have both sets of markings combined. Dunno whether this is to confuse the informed or to make it easier to swap the cameras and catch folk out.

As for the timed distance motorway ones, I guess like most they don't prosecute until you exceed the ten percent plus three rule, that would mean in a fifty limit the hgv drivers can leave the cruise control where it is at 56.

SA Chris

• forum hero
There was one of those average speed camera types when they were doing roadworks near Perth; 40 miles an hour. I always tried getting behind a large lorry when I went through the first set, but you never know.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Expecting a letter following the bank holiday... set off early saturday to go to abersoch, mobile van at the end of the long straight past ladybower - very well hidden. Can't see much 'safety' justification for that - anyone doing under fifty down that hill is too old to be driving.

Bad luck man, that sucks. Don't get me started on the Snake 50 limit, what a fucking pile of wank that is. Okay so like the A6 they don't really want people doing 50, they want them definitely sticking to below 60 instead of racing at 70+, but even so 50 is a fucking farce. Why not put it at 60 and have speed cameras for that speed?? And why not sort the fucking shit road out while they're at it. The section from Hagg farm to the Snake itself is fucking 3rd world.

I'm wary of that straight you got done on, tend to hurtle at at 70+ to the crest of the straight and then right down to 50 until I am very sure there's nothing there. Thankfully I think that's the only spot they can put a camera in?? Maybe the one by Hagg farm too....  :wank: the lot of them.

Fiend, I'd make sure you differentiate between gatsos and truvelos on the camera boxes themselves, not the road markings. More often than not nowadays they have both sets of markings combined. Dunno whether this is to confuse the informed or to make it easier to swap the cameras and catch folk out.

Cheers but this was definitely a Gatso, it had the right "face" (and no truvelo markings). But yeah am going to be careful in the future....will just have to drive a smidgeon quicker in between to make up for it ;).

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
There was one of those average speed camera types when they were doing roadworks near Perth; 40 miles an hour. I always tried getting behind a large lorry when I went through the first set, but you never know.

Right.... This is something I really want to know about going through specs:

Go through the first spec, number plate gets stored. Keep going at well over the speed limit. When you see the second specs in the distance, get behind a large lorry. Make sure you can only just see the specs with your own eyes, so the number plate (about 1m down and 1.5m forward) will definitely be physically hidden. Keep like that until past the specs then continue onwards, waving apologetically to the lorry driver.

Now, the specs will have got your number plate the first time, but the second time, I am right in thinking they simply cannot read your number plate from several metres of articulated lorry??

(Obviously this depends on having a lorry to hand and spotting the second specs in time).

Does this work?

dave

More often than not nowadays they have both sets of markings combined. Dunno whether this is to confuse the informed or to make it easier to swap the cameras and catch folk out.

I thought this was just where they had a gastro and replaced it with one of the newer type but couldn't be arsed to scrub the markings off the road. most fo me i've seen are like this. I've never seen a gastro with the new type markings.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
Fiend.  I'm not sure lining up speed cameras with the edge of the lorry you're 6ft behind is that wise.  Especially if you're also 'well above the speed limit.'

What's everyone's beef with speed cameras anyway.  If you want to razz it round all the time then fair enough, but you should expect to take some responsibility for it every now and then.  And surely a fine and points is preferable to hitting a kid.

SA Chris

• forum hero

Go through the first spec, number plate gets stored. Keep going at well over the speed limit. When you see the second specs in the distance, get behind a large lorry. Make sure you can only just see the specs with your own eyes, so the number plate (about 1m down and 1.5m forward) will definitely be physically hidden. Keep like that until past the specs then continue onwards, waving apologetically to the lorry driver.

Now, the specs will have got your number plate the first time, but the second time, I am right in thinking they simply cannot read your number plate from several metres of articulated lorry??

Does this work?

I have no idea, but don't see why it shouldn't. Although i would prefer to hide behind a lorry (shoud one be available) when going through the first camera, rather than have to worry about one being convenient when I reach the second.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Fiend.  I'm not sure lining up speed cameras with the edge of the lorry you're 6ft behind is that wise.  Especially if you're also 'well above the speed limit.'

Damn right of course. It's theoretical (I tend to go through specs at the speed limit constantly muttering "cunts your fucking cunts fucking wankers" and remember to cane it after them to make up for it.) Although....the idea perhaps being that you slow down to 50 to match the lorry just before the speed camera.

What's everyone's beef with speed cameras anyway.  If you want to razz it round all the time then fair enough, but you should expect to take some responsibility for it every now and then.  And surely a fine and points is preferable to hitting a kid.

I don't have THAT much beef with speed cameras per se, just with unjustifiable and stupid ones. For example the one that flashed me the wrong way IS justifiable coming into Leek, you go from a 50 to a 30 down a straight hill and then start entering a built up area....fair enough. Going out and uphill that way is pointless.

Or like the one that got JB, it's a complete farce....the next time I see groups of kids crossing that road I'll start to slow down for them.

I also think, speed cameras, as the quintessential flagship for the big brother nanny state, everyone likes to get around them, it's not so much people wanting to speed excessively (well not all of us anyway), it's just wanting to not be so forced to by that fucking grey/yellow box.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
I might have overdone the sanctimony there, and obviously the police can be sneaky cunts, but surely sometimes you've just got to take it on the chin if you get caught.

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 12:06:54 pm by Bubba, Reason: editted in error »

Paul B

• forum hero
I might have overdone the sanctimony there, and obviously the police can be sneaky cunts, but surely sometimes you've just got to take it on the chin if you get caught.

Sometimes yes and again I can completely understand them outside schools etc but some just strive to take the fun out of motoring and some are just damn right sneaky, I dont like it when they're painted green to fit in with the bushes or hidden behind signs (on the way up to Bowden), it just tilts the odds to much in the direction of the police. May I also point out that Co.Durham, the only county to have zero speed camera's was the only county to report a lower amount of RTA's than the previous year, so I also question their validity.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
May I also point out that Co.Durham, the only county to have zero speed camera's was the only county to report a lower amount of RTA's than the previous year, so I also question their validity.

Bang on. This is my major problem with them. They don't do the job they are supposed to do but instead are put in places where the only purpose they serve is making money. :wank:

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters

(Obviously this depends on having a lorry to hand and spotting the second specs in time).

Does this work?

The only set of these that I know of are the ones on the A14 and while your theory would seem valid on the face of it you with these sneaky mofo cameras there are a whole series of them one after the other so that average speed is calculated from A to B and then from B to C and so on until you enter some sort of torpid state where driving at more than 70 miles an hours is just totally untenable. Now I suspect that there may also be a correlation between average speed from A to C coming into play here given that any sneaky cnut who is prepared to monitor you between points A and B is also going to think ahead and factor in from A to C as well just to catch out those people who gun it as soon as they get past the specs camera.

The only good thing about these particular specs is that they are on the road to East Anglia where there is nothing to climb - not even sandstone exists in the climbing backwoods that is East Anglia so none of you fortunate chaps will ever have have to endure these awful machinations of the pigopolis money collecting state unless you have relatives there like I do.  :(

bluebrad

dave

May I also point out that Co.Durham, the only county to have zero speed camera's was the only county to report a lower amount of RTA's than the previous year, so I also question their validity.

Bang on. This is my major problem with them. They don't do the job they are supposed to do but instead are put in places where the only purpose they serve is making money. :wank:

I spoke to a guy recently who worked in road planning round Manc way and he was saying that at the stats show around known accident blackspots speed cameras have drastically reduced accidents. Also supposedly they don't make any money on speed cameras, infact I heard soemwhere they make a net loss on em. Bearing in mind I have no real evidence to back any of this up......but it is scientific fact.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
mobile van at the end of the long straight past ladybower - very well hidden. Can't see much 'safety' justification for that - anyone doing under fifty down that hill is too old to be driving.
Bad luck :(
There was a warning posted on here about that cam ages ago but you don't expect one to be out so early in the morning. Maybe to catch early bird bikers? I know it's forward facing but i guess if it triggers they can probably record your numberplate as you pass on by.

As for the timed distance motorway ones, I guess like most they don't prosecute until you exceed the ten percent plus three rule, that would mean in a fifty limit the hgv drivers can leave the cruise control where it is at 56.
In my experience driving tacho through specs 50 limits, the majority of LGVs will stick to the limit, and a few will crawl past. A lot of LGV firms won't take you on with more than 6 points, so most drivers don't take risks with their license. I have noticed quite a lot of cars going under 50 though...most car speedos read optimistically which would explain this.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I'm sure this would work, but it's a rather risky strategy, no?

And you'd have to be damn sure there's only 2 sets of cameras. Specs can measure your speed over multiple sets, so if a third one was there that you'd forgotten about you'd be fucked.

One thing about Specs is that I believe it's horribly expensive to implement, so it's possible many temporary ones are dummies anyway....but I guess it's less stress just to slow down.

I really don't like speed cameras in general, but they're not such a bad idea in some places like near primary schools, etc, etc. The one at the start of the snake is pretty horrible but is there to slow you down for the rest of the pass. Given that you could be passing that layby at over 100mph and the amount of people that splatter themselves on the snake then i can understand why the authorities feel it's justifiable, but I would still like it to self-combust. The worst ones are the ones like that one already mentioned that is hidden behind the sign in Northumberland.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 10:48:37 pm by Bubba »

SA Chris

• forum hero

Apparently Fife is exactly the same. I have no issue whatsoever with speeds restirctions and cameras in places where they are justified, but , for example, on an open motorway through cumbria in good light I think it is "reasonably" safe to go a bit faster than the specified limit. The french have a dual speed limit system based on weather conditions, why not here?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
The french have a dual speed limit system based on weather conditions, why not here?

Don't be ridiculous. That's far too sensible.

I spoke to a guy recently who worked in road planning round Manc way

Apparently all planner's are full of shit. I also have no evidence to back this up other than the fact that my Dad's an architect and he told me this.

dave

architects eh, you can't live with em, can't live without em. ::)

Paul B

• forum hero
don't get me started on Architects and/or planners.... We had some inter-disciplinary projects in my final semester and their input was an absolute joke, utterly unhelpful or just completely ridiculous.

Back on the topic - after just coming back from France/Belgium/Holland the increased speed limit on the motorway is really good, it seemed (to me anyway) that less people were breaking it, just the odd Porsche GT3 or something crazy not the usual ford ka being ragged to destruction. For some strange reason Belgium had no cruise control signs which I found a bit strange?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Looks like they have invented the T2 of speed cameras  :o

http://www.freebie-world.com/wptest/2007/08/29/road-rage-is-futile-bombproof-and-bulldozerproof-speed-camera-is-waaaatching-youuuu/

Some metal putty would still put it out of action for a while :)

Or even some spray paint for that matter.

lowlife

• regular
'behind' cameras on the opposite side of the road will go off if you travel towards them fast enough, but you also need to be close to the centre of the road This used to happen to me day in, day out on the A40 between cheltenham and Oxford. Very dangerous in the dark.
The first photograph may have your vehicle on it. The second photo will be of empty road. Your speed cannot be calculated and you cannot be prosecuted.The cameras have gone now thanks to the local farming community  ::)
JB on the other hand is fooked. Babylon loves that lay-by.

One snippet I picked up from somewhere is...if you are worried that a 'behind' camera has got you, drive back up the road and have a look at the back of the yellow box. If there are two grey covers behind the circular holes then the camera unit is not in place. If the holes are open then a camera unit is active. Apparently they kick out so much heat that the ventilation holes have to be opened once loaded with a camera unit. The flash is entirely seperate.

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
I've heard that those average speed cams cannot track individual cars if they persistently change lanes. Think Clarkson said something about this on Topgear or in one of his newspaper columns. If you go under one gantry over speed limit in outside lane and then speed past next gantry in overtaking lane then they don't recognise your motor as being the same vehicle (always seem to be 2 cameras on each gantry.) Not prepared to stake my (currently) clean licence on it though! Anyone else know the validity of this rumour?

andy_e

• forum hero
My driving instructor told me this too, but since then I think number-plate recognition technology has been introduced to stop this being possible.

Sloper

• forum hero
Last time I was bored enough to read Jane's or Police Professional (every bit as fun as it sounds :yawn:) the adverts for the SPECS were saying 5 lanes of traffic per system was now standard.

Of course since we're likely to be behind the curve I'd say that three was probably the effective operating limit.

PS If you're caught be a SPECS camera you're to stupid to drive.  If you're caught by a fixed camera you're not paying attention.

And for the record I used to do >35k miles per year and have never had a speeding ticket (maybe it's a coincidence but I do great oral)

SA Chris

• forum hero
'behind' cameras on the opposite side of the road will go off if you travel towards them fast enough, but you also need to be close to the centre of the road This used to happen to me day in, day out on the A40 between cheltenham and Oxford.

Well I hope it's going to stand up to the test because I got flashed again this way, overtaking on the overtaking section just after Dunbar on Saturday.

andy_e

• forum hero
And for the record I used to do >35k miles per year and have never had a speeding ticket (maybe it's a coincidence but I do great oral)

Or maybe you never used to speed at all?  ;)

Sloper

• forum hero
You've never been in a car with me have you?

When on two wheels, I reckon i was good for about 12 points a day.

The point is if you're a good driver and aware you don't get caught.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
You've never been in a car with me have you?
When on two wheels, I reckon i was good for about 12 points a day.

I'm sure driving your car around on 2 wheels is illegal, not surprised you'd get points.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

The point is if you're a good driver and aware you don't get caught.

Much as I would like to agree (my licence being clean as fuck) a certain modicum of luck is necessary too. ;)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Yes luck is a big factor.

I was caught once by a copper timing me between 2 points from the top of a hill 1/4 mile away and then radioing his colleagues up the road to flag me down. No amount of awareness could have averted that, short of being psychic.

Also, you have to remember that whenever Sloper got stopped by the old bill, there was a bit of funny-handshake/trouser-leg lifting and an "on your way sir, I didn't see a thing...." ;)

dave

"These aren't the droids you're looking for."

Sloper

• forum hero
Yes luck is a big factor.

I was caught once by a copper timing me between 2 points from the top of a hill 1/4 mile away and then radioing his colleagues up the road to flag me down. No amount of awareness could have averted that, short of being psychic.

Also, you have to remember that whenever Sloper got stopped by the old bill, there was a bit of funny-handshake/trouser-leg lifting and an "on your way sir, I didn't see a thing...." ;)

A most improper suggestion, I would just ask 'Is Name still head of your Professional Standards Department'.

NB That's a joke I've never stopped by the police in this country.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

El Mocho

• forum abuser
I was driving the 'power van' up from Newcastle and went through a rear facing speed camera at bob on 60, a car was coming the other way much faster and the camera flashed (I saw it in the rear mirror so I was probably in shot)  It was over 6 months ago and I haven't heard anything yet (although I just found out the dvla have reregistered the van to someone else for some completely unknown reason, and this other person has been payed my tax until the end of the year - now I just need a fake disk...)

Spent the next half hour after being flashed cursing the bastard going the other way then forgot about it all.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal