UKBouldering.com

Val di Mello (Read 3903 times)

bouldermonkey

• regular
Val di Mello
August 13, 2007, 01:35:09 pm
Hi folks,

Anyone climbed in Val di Mello, northern Italy?

Considering a trip here... seeing as both the Font and Albarracin trip i've tried to plan have fallen through due to climing partners having various committments...  :wall:

Anyway, i'm acutely aware that the season is rapidly running out, and i've still not done anything.

So with that in mind, i'm wondering what your thoughts / views are on attempting a weeks long back of / out of season trip... to Val di Mello?

I've read the season here ends in September... i'm contemplating a week in either October/November, just to do some bouldering.

I've not been outdoors this year yet due to committments, and not had a holiday abroad in 4 years - so i'm DESPERATE to get something in... but money/time constraints are once again pushing me toward failure.

I'd put it off to next year, but the shit's about to hit the fan in my life next February, so i know for a fact i wont get anything done next year, and perhaps the year after... so it really is the back end of this season, or not at all for many years to come.

Thoughts? Advice? Comments?

I've read bits of info on planet fear and rockfax about it, but nothing referring to out of season.

:whistle:

Thanks in advance!

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1 Re: Val di Mello
August 13, 2007, 02:15:14 pm
October - perfecto! Val di Mello is in the mountains, but the boulders are in the valley so it should be OK weather wise - ie: no snow! Should be nice and cool, and the weather is generally less wet than other areas nearby (eg: Magic Wood!) The granite is quite hard on your skin, but its a beautiful area with more problems of all grades than you could ever wish for. Get it booked, is my advice - you won't regret it.

sasscotty

• addict
#2 Re: Val di Mello
August 13, 2007, 03:00:24 pm
Hiya bouldermonkey.
I've been to Mello twice this year and I've only climbied a tiny fraction of the problems there. Theres so much to be done in all the differant grades! Its amazing! The surrounding area is beautiful and the food is also amazing, I'm sure Percy will agree Fiorelli's pizzaria is the best pizza ever and bar Monica just over the road is the best place for coffee. There is a river aswell, if it gets too warm follow it up the valley and there is a missive boulder that you can jump off into the water. Its about 5m deep. and cold...
Hope I've tempted you mate because you aint gonna be disapointed!

JR

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Val di Mello
August 13, 2007, 03:02:16 pm
Im going out tommorow and then of to magic wood a few days later.  Guessing its gonna be pretty hot there?

Greg C

• forum hero
#4 Re: Val di Mello
August 13, 2007, 03:39:09 pm
Going in October too, anyone know what the camping facility's/provisions shops in the area are like?

sasscotty

• addict
#5 Re: Val di Mello
August 13, 2007, 08:24:28 pm
What we did was had a big shop at the beggining of the holiday at one of the big supermarkets on the way to Mello. Then we just got whatever we needed after that in the valley. There is a pretty cool campsite just before San Martino in the valley. Its not the cheapest of campsites in the world but they are very polite and cool to talk to (in limited Italian ::)). They also hire out bikes there as well but if your stopping at the campsite they are free. Theres a bar with coffee and ale and stuff there as well.
There is a climbing shop up in san martino that sell most thing you should need.

bouldermonkey

• regular
#6 Re: Val di Mello
August 14, 2007, 09:48:11 am
So its alright weather wise down in the Mello valley in October time? Weather isnt too cold/wet?

andy_e

• forum hero
#7 Re: Val di Mello
August 14, 2007, 11:09:41 am
I'd put it off to next year, but the shit's about to hit the fan in my life next February,

Getting married?  ;)

bouldermonkey

• regular
#8 Re: Val di Mello
August 14, 2007, 12:36:00 pm
I'd put it off to next year, but the shit's about to hit the fan in my life next February,

Getting married?  ;)

:lol:    :thumbsup:

Unfortunately not Andi... heck, getting married sounds like blissful dream compared to whats happening.  No... it's a long story.... less said the better.

:guilty:     :spank:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#9 Re: Val di Mello
August 14, 2007, 01:25:24 pm
monkey,
i didnt post  because these guys have alrady said everything!!!
youll have fun!!!

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#10 Re: Val di Mello
August 14, 2007, 01:55:04 pm

Getting married?  ;)

Unfortunately not Andi... heck, getting married sounds like blissful dream compared to whats happening.  No... it's a long story.... less said the better.

Sprog on the way???? :thumbsup:

bouldermonkey

• regular
#11 Re: Val di Mello
August 14, 2007, 01:58:19 pm
Cool.. getting all excited now! Looks awesome.

Anyone know any good villa's/chalets in the region?

Ive tried googling San Martino and it keeps saying "dont you mean San Marino... "    >:(

bouldermonkey

• regular
#12 Re: Val di Mello
August 14, 2007, 02:00:29 pm

Getting married?  ;)

:(  No no...   :whistle: I'm saying no more.   :-[

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#13 Re: Val di Mello
August 14, 2007, 02:48:39 pm
Cool.. getting all excited now! Looks awesome.

Anyone know any good villa's/chalets in the region?

Ive tried googling San Martino and it keeps saying "dont you mean San Marino... "    >:(

try "Filorera" or "Valmasino"

webbo

• forum hero
#14 Re: Val di Mello
August 14, 2007, 03:20:37 pm

Getting married?  ;)

court case/custodial sentence perhaps.

bouldermonkey

• regular
#15 Re: Val di Mello
August 14, 2007, 04:15:22 pm

Getting married?  ;)

court case/custodial sentence perhaps.

:jaw:  How'd you guess?  :lol:  ;)

webbo

• forum hero
#16 Re: Val di Mello
August 14, 2007, 10:13:35 pm
i speculate for a living.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal