UKBouldering.com

Sternum Pain (Read 3354 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Sternum Pain
August 07, 2007, 09:26:53 pm
I was on the board today and my sternum started hurting quite a lot, no noticeable clicking sounds or anything like that just really ached. After a while it went away but about an hour or so after the session it was back and a little sore, I just sneezed and it hurt a hell of lot. Anyone had this? It's quite painful at the minute. I bumped into someone who said he'd had this and its stays sore for a while but didn't have much more to offer apart from "I think its really cool when your trying so hard you sternum makes a crack, well apart from the pain afterwards..."....
Cheers
 :great:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Sternum Pain
August 07, 2007, 09:35:56 pm
Paul, it's usually Pec Major insertion pain and will settle in a week or two.
Either that or angina  :o

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#2 Re: Sternum Pain
August 07, 2007, 09:37:03 pm
A matter close to my heart Paul (literally). I broke my sternum in a stupid accident some years ago. Whilst playing acrobatics with my sister and her mate, I thought it would be wise to get over my fear of handstands by getting each of them to hold a leg whilst in position. Being the idiots that they were they thought that it would be funny if they dropped me. My face almost met my sternum and I couldn't breath for what felt like an eternity. Fortunately one of our neighbours was a nurse who sorted me out good style.

The doctor said I was extremely lucky not to have punctured my lung and I still haven't gotten over my fear of handstands.

Speak to your doc man.

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Sternum Pain
August 07, 2007, 09:38:06 pm
Ha....

So you think this is pain in my pec? I stretched hat and have prodded them both and no pain to the touch, but my sternum is a bit sore if prodded around the center.

Monolith - that sounds nasty.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#4 Re: Sternum Pain
August 07, 2007, 09:48:04 pm
Angina it is!!!

Or periosteal......

Get an angiogram.   :greed:

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Sternum Pain
August 07, 2007, 09:49:16 pm
well i've got a couple of days where I cant climb anyway so I guess i'll see if it subsides, didn't really stop me climbing, just makes me scared of sneezing....

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#6 Re: Sternum Pain
August 07, 2007, 09:57:07 pm
It's musculoskeletal anyway.  Rest and it'll go.
I pulled something in my back when I sneezed a few months ago and ended up walking around like a cripple.  God, it hurt and the wife laughed her head off.
All the best for a speedy recovery, again.

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Sternum Pain
August 07, 2007, 09:58:26 pm
i dont think its major its just a pain in the arse (chest)....cheers for the info.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#8 Re: Sternum Pain
August 07, 2007, 10:15:25 pm
rest easy. I use to have it a lot after training. I think it's just when you are utilising muscles that you don't usually use and they in turn affect you in the way you describe. I remember sneezing and feeling like I was going to die from the pain. I also used to get very sore in the sternum/ribs area in the morning after a hard board session. Eventually it all went away, I'm assuming when the relevant muscle strengthened up.

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: Sternum Pain
August 07, 2007, 10:19:32 pm
yeah it was doing a big lock on an easy problem though, I do it every session but its never left me feeling like this. Well, I have to rest anyway so we'll see how it goes.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#10 Re: Sternum Pain
August 08, 2007, 08:10:36 am
I pulled something in my back when I sneezed a few months ago and ended up walking around like a cripple. 

I pull back muscles quite frequently. last time was reaching for toothbrush. Like a cripple for a few days, but find a hard bouldering session then sorts it out. My own version of traction.

I sometimes get cracks and crunches from my sternum and it will ache a bit for a day or so after, but usually goes away after that.

Simon S

• menacing presence
#11 Re: Sternum Pain
August 08, 2007, 05:22:53 pm
well i've got a couple of days where I cant climb anyway so I guess i'll see if it subsides, didn't really stop me climbing, just makes me scared of sneezing....

When my ankylosing spondylitis was bad the physio said that when sneezing you've just to let rip, not to try and hold back since it is the pressure build up that causes the discomfort. Yes, its rather disgusting to spray the room, but at least the pain is reduced. Hope it clears up soon.

BenF

• forum hero
#12 Re: Sternum Pain
August 09, 2007, 02:03:53 pm
Funny this topic should come up as my sternum is sore today.  It started yesterday after a pretty full-on day out bouldering and feels slightly sore when I prod it or take a very deep sharp breath.  I figured that it was down to either pulling very hard for once or doing a horrible traverse that involved scraping my chest and stomach along the lip of the boulder. 

Paul B

• forum hero
#13 Re: Sternum Pain
August 09, 2007, 02:24:10 pm
Mine has been getting a lot better since it started hurting, it concerned me a lot because I got it a great deal a few years ago when I decided I had a muscle imbalance (chest/back) and needed to sort it out. Didn't think it could be that this time as i've just spent the last few months in the gym. I think this time I must of just overstretched myself during the warm up or even the day before. Hope yours clears up.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal