UKBouldering.com

Large Sandstone Wall - Otterspool (Liverpool) (Read 4609 times)

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile
My mate was out and about in Otterspool and came across quite a large weathered sandstone wall, with several buttresses. So we went down to investigate further.

There are quite large number of easy problems and a few harder ones. You basically make them up as you go along on one of the walls, as it’s been weathered so much. The good thing about it is the mortar hasn’t been weathered so it provides some quite interesting holds.

Has anybody else come across it?

I know it doesn’t look like much but it provided me and my mate a few hours of fun.

The location is circled in red.

Gaz

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile
Bollox, its blocked the photos. I'll post them up tonight in that case.

gaz

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile
Here we go

Scouse D

• forum hero
Oh. You literally meant 'wall'.

andy popp

• forum hero
Oh. You literally meant 'wall'.

I know. I'd nearly got excited.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
But only 'nearly', not 'realy' excited eh youth?  ;)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
That is but a mere stones throw (literally a few hundred yards) from my new abode. Sack it off and build a board, Wirral needs a premier training facility!

If you're on wheels, get to the cuttings for the sake of a few measly miles.

chappers

• forum hero
i would like to see you throw a stone a "few hundred yards" tom.

BenF

• forum hero
That wall has been used for climbing purposes since I moved to Liverpool over a decade ago.  I used to go down there and traverse backwards and forwards for literally hours.  Wearing a walkman (to blot out the shouts of Scallies) and perfecting different eliminate ways of getting up, down and across the various walls and buttresses.  It's how I got my legendary stamina.  ;)  There's nothing too hard on the walls but it is a nice spot to spend a bit of time bouldering if you can't get to Pex. 

There is a better, harder, but smaller wall very close to Aigburth Vale too.  It's vertical and made from solid blocks that offer "natural" holds and many small chipped edges between the blocks.  This wall has a few decent up problems and a range of traverses for the initiated but probably needs gardening underneath to remove the long grass and brambles.  To find it walk into Otterspool Park via the gate at the Aigburth Vale end of Jerico Lane and turn left immediately once you enter the park through the big gates.  The wall is basically the large wall supporting Aigburth Road by the lights!  The best problems are the fairly highball up problems just right of centre.

Having typed all that, I'm actually quite psyched to clean it up again.  Mono, it's about 200 yards from your house!

account_inactive

• forum hero
I wish Dense was here to see this

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
I'll be sure to point him in the direction. He'll be over like a shot I'm sure ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal