UKBouldering.com

glendalough advice please (Read 3310 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
glendalough advice please
July 22, 2007, 10:29:36 am
Hi,

after looking through the shortspan site I'm well keen to get over to the dublin area. Would be a family holiday with the emphasis on the outdoors, esp. bouldering (we all climb...) short notice family holiday sometime in august spur of the moment sort of thing!

I've posted on the shortspan message board as well, thought coverage on here could be more extensive.

I'm needing some advice please!!

so..... anyone know of good family safe campsite near glendalough? (doesnt need to be full of facilities...showers would be good though.)

Can you get a child's buggy up the path? what are the midges like? (scotish evilness or english agravation??)

how friction dependant is the rock?? I'm not expecting to have a perfect conditions type holiday - but if it's greasy ++ i might go another time of year...

any other advice or ideas what do in the surrounding area (either climbing or family orrientated) would be really helpful!

thanks!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1 Re: glendalough advice please
July 22, 2007, 10:45:57 am
oh yeah, info on good beaches for family playtime / bodyboarding also very much appreciated!!

ta.

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#2 Re: glendalough advice please
July 22, 2007, 10:53:03 am
We went for a weekend, can't remember seeing campsites as we stayed in a B&B very near the boulders. It was lovely, would your budget stretch to that? I don't think it was desperately expensive.

The path up to the boulders should be fine for buggies/ children. There is kiddy stuff to do round about, though you would need a car. There is a nice museum/ farm with really cool mazes and stuff somewhere near. We went to a seaside town that was very much in the style of Whitley Bay, excellent fun!

The boulders will probably feel a bit greasy, but it's August, what do you want?  ;)

Have fun,
Lu.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#3 Re: glendalough advice please
July 22, 2007, 11:25:16 am
I reckon you'll need a wheelbarrow load of that stump cream if you go in the summer. I've been twice in March and thought the rock was pretty razor sharp even then.

AndyR

• forum hero
#4 Re: glendalough advice please
July 22, 2007, 06:48:39 pm
oh yeah, info on good beaches for family playtime / bodyboarding also very much appreciated!!

ta.

Conditions will be patchy - if it's good and windy, it'll be fine, but it can get pretty humid with low-to-mid scottish levels of midges.... you'll need to be canny to get the best out of the conditions. Rock is rough.
Path to glendo is fine with a buggy.

For really decent family beaches, you'll probably need to head south towards Wexford, away from the silty, sewagey waters of dublin bay - Dave might know some better ones closer to Greystones.
Can't help with campsites - sorry.

webbo

• forum hero
#5 Re: glendalough advice please
July 22, 2007, 09:09:19 pm
i went in summer,took 2 pads and still bottled alot of stuff being on my own.i didn't see two many midges as it was quite windy.we stayed in a chalet so can't help you with camping and when we were in wicklow it was really wasn't weather for the beach.think a less wet version of this summer.if i went again i'd take my bike instead of a pad.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: glendalough advice please
July 23, 2007, 08:18:01 am
We stayed in a good campsite in a village nearby, but for the life of me I can't remember the name. Will look at atlas tonight. Not much waves on the east coast, go west or south.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#7 Re: glendalough advice please
July 23, 2007, 09:02:10 am
thanks for the info guys!!

just lookin at the weather forecasts now... dont fancy a wet family camping holiday! but keen to visit new areas... decisions decisions..

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#8 Re: glendalough advice please
July 23, 2007, 10:35:56 am
The only campsite close to Glendalough is in Roundwood about 15 minutes drive from Glendalough. Another option might be the IMC Hut it is a bit of a kip but it is cheap and very convient for the boulder.  Beach wise Brittas Bay is very popular, its just south of Wicklow town, there are a few campsites around there. I'm not surfer I'm told there is sometimes small surf on a beach called Mullaghmore which is again south of Wicklow Town.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: glendalough advice please
July 23, 2007, 11:21:56 am
The only campsite close to Glendalough is in Roundwood

That's the puppy. Nice grassy site with big room for use if weather is bad (my mate slept in there when his tent flooded in heavy rain).And good pub abd caff within walking distance in town.

AndyR

• forum hero
#10 Re: glendalough advice please
July 23, 2007, 06:55:39 pm
think a less wet version of this summer.if i went again i'd take my bike instead of a pad.
Assume you mean your road bike?
Mountain biking is pretty gash - lots of bog.

webbo

• forum hero
#11 Re: glendalough advice please
July 24, 2007, 08:21:03 am
i suppose i could take my mountain bike but it would mean making generations of spiders homeless.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#12 Re: glendalough advice please
July 24, 2007, 01:40:57 pm
excellent info guys... many many thanks...

lookin to go in a couple of weeks or so!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal