UKBouldering.com

Active stretching routines (Read 2282 times)

Three Nine

• forum hero
Active stretching routines
July 09, 2007, 08:54:13 pm
While there's lots of beta on passive stretching for climbing in training articles, i've not found much on active stretching. Possibly because many articles focus on stretching for injury prevention/rehab, recovery etc. and not for increasing flexibility (a real need for me!).

About the only thing i have found is from Simpson's article on the moon site.

Anybody care to share secrets? (preferably routines that can be done at home and dont require a wall..!)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Active stretching routines
July 09, 2007, 09:26:50 pm
Gotta say I don't do a lot of active (static-active) stretches.  I go for passive 99% of the time.  But then I'm just ignorant, maybe.

Try:
This
Or this

I would assume the stretches are much the same as the passives.  Someone like Dylan will no doubt be able to answer your questions better than me.

Edit:

Not sure how accurate this is, so don't take it as gospel.  I would suggest some of what he does is actually passive stretching.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 09:42:16 pm by GCW »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#2 Re: Active stretching routines
July 20, 2007, 08:46:00 pm
That's a funky film and now I know what I've been up to for years.  I do almost all of the active stretches shown in that video.  I was shown them by my physio as a way of countering poor boulderers' posture.  I have nothing to add other than what you see in the video has worked very effectively for me - my posture is fine these days.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#3 Re: Active stretching routines
July 20, 2007, 08:54:31 pm
I think that most (all?) of the stretches on Moon climbing are passive.  I usually advocate passive stretching as they seem to be safer.

The jury is still out on whether they are any better

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=15330693&dopt=Abstract

I met this guy a while ago http://www.stretchasia.com who does the active stretches for you. 

He's very rich

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal