UKBouldering.com

Bouldering in Newquay? (Read 4891 times)

Eddies

• forum hero
Bouldering in Newquay?
July 02, 2007, 08:52:51 pm
Ill be going down to Newquay in a few weeks and id be interested to know if there is any worthwhile bouldering in and round Hollywell Bay to keep me occupied if the surfs down!

Only gonna be there a few days so its not worth buying a guide book over, none on the UKC database that i can see!?

kays

#1 Re: Bouldering in Newquay?
July 02, 2007, 09:40:22 pm
I'm not sure where Hollywell bay is, but there is a bit of bouldering on Fistral. If you are looking out to sea from the surf centre it is to the left, just around the rocky headland. There is not much there but you can have some fun!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Bouldering in Newquay?
July 03, 2007, 08:01:10 am
keep me occupied if the surfs down!

Change the "if" to "when". It is midsummer.

There is no commercial guide to buy anyway, but there is an online guid for the bouldering in the Gwynver Area http://www.javu.co.uk/Climbing/Guides/CornwallBouldering/Gwynver/index.shtml  . There is also the Penwith Bouldering Blog. Otherwise Carn Brea has some good skin shredding grainite. You gong to have access to a car?

Some stuff here too http://www.blocspenwith.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 08:18:39 am by SA Chris, Reason: added blocspenwith link »

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3 Re: Bouldering in Newquay?
July 03, 2007, 10:28:16 am
Given the unsettled nature of the weather at the moment you could have waves every day.  They might be ragged and blown out but still worth getting in...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Bouldering in Newquay?
July 03, 2007, 10:30:38 am
Gimme Shelter

A Jooser

• menacing presence
#5 Re: Bouldering in Newquay?
July 03, 2007, 12:16:41 pm
There is a bit of rock around Hollywell Bay but whether there’s any worthwhile bouldering is another mater. Porth Joke (or Polly Joke as they there locals seem to call it) just north east of Hollywell might be worth a look at low tide as there are one or two small caves. As for Newquay itself, Little Fistral isn’t bad. This is the area of small coves in front of The Headland Hotel between Fistral Beach and Towan Head. I’ve even bumped into other people bouldering there!
If you have a car it’s probably worth driving away from Newquay (why anyone would want to go there in the first place is beyond me ). Godrevy, just down the coast near Hayle, is pretty good and there is a free old school guide online and a download with the harder problems on the aforementioned Penwith Blog. Also good is the inland granite of Carn Brea near Redruth or Helman Tor near Bodmin which are both a sort drive from the A30.

Eddies

• forum hero
#6 Re: Bouldering in Newquay?
July 03, 2007, 12:27:53 pm
Nice on chaps, little fistral sounds favorite at the mo.
I have access to a car but im the only climber on the trip so i wont be going to far out of my way to climb!

Not going untill the end of the month... this bloody awfull weather cant stay around that long.... can it?  :shrug:

etjoset

• addict
  • Twiddle that knob
#7 Re: Bouldering in Newquay?
July 03, 2007, 01:45:36 pm
Godrevey is another good venue for mixing surfing and bouldering and is little more than 30 mins drive from Newquay when you fancy a change. There was an old OTE that hard an article on the bouldering and there is also some info online. I'm not much of a surfer but the swell there often seems to remain OK when other parts of the coast are flat. The bouldering is right at the very far end (drive for 1 km along the track after passing the NT entrance gate).

etjoset

• addict
  • Twiddle that knob
#8 Re: Bouldering in Newquay?
July 03, 2007, 02:03:49 pm
Oops - I hadn't seen A Jooser's Godrevey info before posting that.

Another less well known bouldering venue near to Godrevey is back along the coast road from Godrevey towards Portreath. Drive past Hell's Mouth cafe and keep going for about another 2 km to park in a small roadside car park on the coast side. A rough path drops down the steep coastal slope to a secluded shingle bay. There are about quality 15 problems at the back of the bay mostly in the middle to harder grades. About 30 mins from Newquay.

Eddies

• forum hero
#9 Re: Bouldering in Newquay?
July 03, 2007, 06:02:22 pm
[/
Change the "if" to "when". It is midsummer.

Is it? It dosent bloody feel like it yet  :shrug:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal