UKBouldering.com

Ridiculous bouldering injuries? (Read 8357 times)

dave k

• obsessive maniac
Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
June 28, 2007, 08:37:50 am
Narrowly avoided a ridiculous face plant last night at Newstones.

Fell from about 20 cm up onto my mat, both feet landing square on the mat. Then seconds later i was flat on my stomach. Blood seeping out from the back of my elbow to the front of my wrist. My face was worryingly close to the rock face.

No-one was around to mock me.

Any other close shaves or unexpected injuries.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#1 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
June 28, 2007, 10:42:07 am
getting concussed after standing up too fast and forgetting i was sat under the nose, at burbage not yosemite, think me not dean potter

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
June 28, 2007, 11:26:01 am
Every time I climb indoors I twat my knees and elbows on holds that aren't in on the problem. Seems the part of my mindtank that creates shapes like water doesn't allow for islands in the stream.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#3 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
June 28, 2007, 11:34:20 am
 :bow:

am not going to wad you tho, it's becoming too commonplace. this is my line in the sand

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#4 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
June 28, 2007, 11:48:23 am
Not a bouldering injury. An hour ago I picked up the phone and completely smacked myself in the forehead with it. God knows why I was doing a power pickup.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
June 28, 2007, 01:40:14 pm
I rip elbows and knees and knuckles to bits. Got caught on barbed wire when approaching crag once, does that count? Made a hole in the "webby" bit of skin between thumb and finger. I once smacked my mate on the forehead with a sticht plate hanging from harness when I jumped on bouler next to him. He looked hindu.

andy_e

• forum hero
#6 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
June 28, 2007, 01:55:48 pm
What about that elbow to tooth injury, R-man and monolith?

The other week whilst traversing above a lip my left foot slipped off and gashed a 5-inch long gouge in my shin and knee... Not nice.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#7 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
June 28, 2007, 02:52:38 pm
I strained a tendon putting my climbing shoes on.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
June 28, 2007, 02:56:23 pm
What about that elbow to tooth injury, R-man and monolith?

Reminds me, I have done knee to chin before. Luckily my tongue wasnt sticking out.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#9 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
June 28, 2007, 03:33:08 pm
Unassumingly, R-Man gave me a spot when I met him at the Barrel. I slipped off a somewhat greasy top hold on The Minimum only to elbow all hell out of his mouth. Mass blood was shed.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#10 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
June 28, 2007, 04:40:52 pm
I chipped a tooth sport-climbing in Leicestershire. Seems quite fitting really. Sanding it down later with some fine wet&dry was not the usual post-cragging celebration.

I also tried to ab in and clean a Leicestershire crag, walking up to the top I disturbed a bees' nest and they did that usual swarming stinging thing....trying to bat them away, I managed to punch myself in the testicles. Hmmm.

Actually I think that's it. Just the usual jamming scars, knee scrapes, broken limbs, A2 tweaks etc etc. Although when I'm down the Works, I always seem to graze esoteric parts of my body - armpits, stomach, inner ankles, outer knees, ears....

Paul B

• forum hero
#11 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
June 28, 2007, 06:00:31 pm
Actually I think that's it. Just the usual jamming scars, knee scrapes, broken limbs, A2 tweaks etc etc. Although when I'm down the Works, I always seem to graze esoteric parts of my body - armpits, stomach, inner ankles, outer knees, ears....

volumes always seem to do their best at removing my nipples, especially the ones down the works which have grip tape on the edges.

Thumb flappers are another weird injury I seem to get...

etjoset

• addict
  • Twiddle that knob
#12 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
June 28, 2007, 07:30:17 pm
I broke my wrist stepping off the end of the Pinnacle Traverse at Froggatt from a height of 6 inches. I tried (and failed) to climb for the rest of the afternoon before heading off to A&E where they told me it was a broken scaphoid bone. I spent the next 3 months in plaster. Be careful out there - it's a dangerous world.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#13 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
June 28, 2007, 08:54:21 pm
Got spat off Higginsons Arm once at the Roaches, to land between mats onto my coccyx (took me 10 mins to find how to spell coccyx!)! Couldn't start to describe how that felt, but I was nearly barfing!

webbo

• forum hero
#14 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
June 28, 2007, 09:42:50 pm
not a riddiculous bouldering injury but i got up in the middle of the night to go for a p and walked in to the edge of the bedroom door and splt my forehead open.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#15 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
June 28, 2007, 11:54:56 pm
I once snapped an entire ledge off a sit down start at Brimham. Even though I was inches off the deck I hit it with incredible force. Completely winded me. I was writhing around on the floor in agony whilst my mate laughed at my misfortune. I struggled back to my van and drove home. By the time I got there my back had seized up completely. I used to live next door this gangster character; him and his homies were hanging out side the front door when I pulled up. I fell out of the car, unable to straighten my back and crawled on my hands and knees across the pavement in front of them into the house. I was going to tell them that I'd just been shot in some territory war, but thought better of it, and just grunted "stupid climbing injury, I'll be alright" in answer to the main G's quizzical look.

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
#16 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
June 29, 2007, 12:12:28 am
Rock Antics - spun hold = broken finger
Fingerboard - farted = pulled middle finger
Seaton Sluice - pulled top out hold off = winded plus near brain spillage
(Wrestling - big afghan pro = rib popped out.)

webbo

• forum hero
#17 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
June 29, 2007, 08:16:44 am
I once snapped an entire ledge off a sit down start at Brimham.
on which problem.does the swanmaister know about your vandalism. :spank:

Vitamin K

• addict
#18 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
June 29, 2007, 09:37:26 am
Staggered around dazed and confused after inadvertently headbutting Small Smart Wall @ Bridies. Took some time to get my vision back and assess the damage (sans mirror of course). This was on top of an earlier chin scrape when my foot popped off in exactly the same place.

I really should take more time to learn from the consequences of my actions.

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#19 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
June 29, 2007, 10:03:41 am
warming up traversing the inside prow at wilton 1.

can't remember why i came off but must have popped off.

for those who are familiar with inside prow, it's not the most grassiest of spots. anyway i came off luckily with control, making sure that my feet went inbetween the numerous small rocks so as not to injure my ankles feet etc.

next thing i knew i was out of balance and began to fall forwards onto said rock formation, trying my best not to injury myself but ready just incase, i ended up doing the old breakdance classic move known as the (for those who are not in the know) caterpillar all over the ground trying my damned hardest not to headbutt any rocks or broken glass.

friend scott said it was the most funniest thing he ever saw

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#20 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
July 20, 2007, 09:43:39 pm
Spare a thought for poor Nick Peplo (a real fucking wad in my book).  He fell off the Barrel Traverse (inches off the deck) broke his wrist and never climbed again, perversely taking up the 'safer' BMXing instead.  For shame.

Not a bouldering injury but, I managed to get this fantastic scalp scar by cartwheeling down an entire level of the Rainbow Walls in Dinorwig with a Bosch in one hand and its case in the other, ending up upside down with an old iron bar sticking out of the rock embedded (ever so slightly) in my skull.  Which was nice...

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#21 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
July 21, 2007, 10:30:33 am
Lots of punching and kicking of holds while bouldering indoors and also twisted my knee - truly the most horrible feeling...

bluebrad

Eddies

• forum hero
#22 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
July 21, 2007, 02:48:12 pm
I pulled something in my neck doing a desperate little mantle problem at Gib Torr, bloody agony.
I was hobbling around like Quasimodo for a good 10 mins untill I loosened it up with some rubbing!!

old cheese

• obsessive maniac
  • does my arse look big in this
#23 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
July 21, 2007, 03:09:14 pm
A good friend of mine from leicester (disaster dave) managed to give himself 20 stitches and a nice 'S' shaped scar above his knee whilst hacking through the last bit of the core of a roll of finger tape (in order to make it 2 narrow rolls). He had it balanced on his knee at the time! even managed to leave a bit of the stanley blade in his femur :goodidea:

dave

#24 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
July 21, 2007, 04:37:57 pm
a falling cofe (from the top of suavito..) nearly removed my thumb from my hand recently. this was in March and i can still feel it now - fat cunt!

205Chris

• forum hero
#25 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
July 21, 2007, 06:44:32 pm
I managed to faceplant the undercut dyno at the roaches a while back resulting in what looked liked carpet burns on my face.

I had fun explaining that one to all the non climbers at work. And I didn't get the tick either.

JR

• forum abuser
#26 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
July 21, 2007, 07:10:46 pm
I managed to faceplant the undercut dyno at the roaches a while back resulting in what looked liked carpet burns on my face.

I had fun explaining that one to all the non climbers at work. And I didn't get the tick either.

jordan managed to do exactly that when his foot popped.  It looked horrifically painful but amusing...

I managed to dislocate my elbow, tearing many ligaments and break my wrist falling off life in a radioactive dustbin.  two operations, lots of plaster and a forrest gump brace needed for that one.

205Chris

• forum hero
#27 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
July 21, 2007, 07:39:03 pm

jordan managed to do exactly that when his foot popped.  It looked horrifically painful but amusing...

I managed to dislocate my elbow, tearing many ligaments and break my wrist falling off life in a radioactive dustbin.  two operations, lots of plaster and a forrest gump brace needed for that one.

That's radioactive dustbin off my ticklist then.......

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#28 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
July 21, 2007, 08:51:42 pm
I once snapped an entire ledge off a sit down start at Brimham.
on which problem.does the swanmaister know about your vandalism. :spank:

It was a 'new' section in the Hare Heads area that Steve Rhodes showed me around in 1993. We did a load of 3 star classic first ascents, and then didn't tell anyone (not even ourselves) - I'll be lodging my indignant retro claims once the new guide gets published.

webbo

• forum hero
#29 Re: Ridiculous bouldering injuries?
July 22, 2007, 09:20:12 pm
then someone who genuinely has a poor memory and habit of not recording what he does.will suddenly have a moment of cognitive clarity and realise he did it in 1985 when he was 15.
it would be totally unbelievable if i didn't have constantly have to tell him how did something 2 days before. :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal