UKBouldering.com

It hurts, it hurts - advice needed (Read 2607 times)

bouldermonkey

• regular
It hurts, it hurts - advice needed
June 12, 2007, 01:37:26 pm
Hi chaps and chapesses.

Hope we all enjoyed the sunshine as of late and took the chance to get some outdoor action in the bag.  :thumbsup:

Anyway, quicky for you.

I re-started bouldering after a 3 year lay off last september, and whilst my technique and strength has come back and continues to develop, the one area that i constantly fail to come up to standard on, is my fingertips.

I have the strength in there, but after 4 hours of bouldering, the tops of all my fingers are stinging.  It literally is agony to weight my hands on the holds/rock because the stinging pain from the ends of my fingers is just too much...  long before my grip, forearms, and other muscles are worn or exhausted, the feeling in my tips just becomes so much that i'm unable to continue.  I would try taping them, but given that it is the ends of my fingers, i'd lose all purchase on the rock.

Before my lay off, it never hurt this bad.  I'm just wondering if there are any tips of the trade which i've forgotten/missed which can toughen up the skin on my fingertips to allow me to continue climbing to the point where i actually 'feel the burn' in my arms and torso.... it's really getting to me now.  :shrug:

Any tips/comments/advice etc, very appreciated.

Ta,

Joe.

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#1 Re: It hurts, it hurts - advice needed
June 12, 2007, 01:42:01 pm
Can you climb the next day or does it put you out for a couple of days?

Vitamin K

• addict
#2 Re: It hurts, it hurts - advice needed
June 12, 2007, 02:20:20 pm
Don't worry about this, it's perfectly natural and just a product of long sessions. It will lessen as you do more.

The only solution would be stop climbing, bringing your session to an end or to climb through it.

bouldermonkey

• regular
#3 Re: It hurts, it hurts - advice needed
June 13, 2007, 10:54:01 am
Can you climb the next day or does it put you out for a couple of days?

No i can climb the next day.  It's as though my finger tips just become hyper sensitive to the grain of the rock/holds and it proper stings to the point where i'm unable to put any weight on them.

It's really annoying because regardless of how hard i climb, they always fail before my muscles have had anywhere near enough.   :shrug:

bouldermonkey

• regular
#4 Re: It hurts, it hurts - advice needed
June 15, 2007, 09:52:16 am
Read somewhere that "hydral"  ??? is good to use... can anyone vouch for this?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: It hurts, it hurts - advice needed
June 15, 2007, 10:06:17 am
do a site search here for anti-hydral cream you will find loads of info.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal