UKBouldering.com

Supplements and Training (Read 7117 times)

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile
Supplements and Training
June 07, 2007, 12:01:19 pm
Is there anybody who takes supplements in order to ‘aid’ or ‘enhance’ their muscles when training. And before I continue I’m NOT talking about shooting up anabolics or anything similar! I’m talking about natural supplements.

I realise you can’t just take a load of supplements, sit back and watch scrubs, then when you go to make a cuppa you’re built like Popeye. What I’m after is advice to whether it’s worth it or not. There seems to be loads out there, so which are worth it? I’m of a small to medium build and looking to train hard and get the maximum out of it.

Can anybody advise?

Gaz

ouch

• regular
#1 Re: Supplements and Training
June 07, 2007, 12:45:12 pm
There was a link posted recently to an interesting article about using Creatine in low doses http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,7334.0.html.   I use creatine but not at the doses recommended on the tin.  I generally use 3-5g when climbing/training as I find it stops me aching too much the next day and it seems to give me a bit more juice whilst actually climbing.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#2 Re: Supplements and Training
June 07, 2007, 06:58:10 pm
I've been experimenting with crack

Things have taken a bad turn and I've managed to sell all my furniture

Keep off the crack kids

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile
#3 Re: Supplements and Training
June 07, 2007, 07:54:45 pm
Yeah, very helpfull, as I said Mr funny, natural!

Eddies

• forum hero
#4 Re: Supplements and Training
June 07, 2007, 08:25:51 pm
Crack is Whack

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#5 Re: Supplements and Training
June 07, 2007, 11:37:06 pm
what do you mean by "natural"?
i use amynoacids when training hard, anyway.
and if i feel a bit weak before going bouldering i take some stuff with ginseng and other shizzle that costs far too much for being a placebo, but the girl in the herb shop is very nice and kind, and if i wasnt a very close friend of her boyfriend's brother (that has a wine shop but isnt the one shop owned by friends whenre i got drunk monday night) i wouldnt mind...
oh what were we talking about?

webbo

• forum hero
#6 Re: Supplements and Training
June 08, 2007, 08:43:46 am
carefull nibs your begining to sound like a brit. ;)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#7 Re: Supplements and Training
June 08, 2007, 10:57:49 am
Crack is Whack

... i've heard it's very moreish. 

My addiction hell was continually munching on sugar-free chewing gum and indigestion-tablets: it's the gastric equivalent of speedballs! One has a mild laxative effect the other creates gas.... with predictible results when you pull on too hard at the Bowderstone... those smack addicts don't know how lucky they are.. :-[

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#8 Re: Supplements and Training
June 08, 2007, 11:15:53 am
Who ooo ooo's got the crack?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#9 Re: Supplements and Training
June 08, 2007, 12:46:43 pm
garyb the best advice i could possibly give is listen to people who are the same build/body type etc. basically listen to paulb, ru, stu littlefair. it should come as no surprise either that these are training monsters

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Supplements and Training
June 08, 2007, 01:45:56 pm
I'd suggest any product endorsed by Dave Draper:

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 Re: Supplements and Training
June 08, 2007, 02:38:00 pm
garyb the best advice i could possibly give is listen to people who are the same build/body type etc. basically listen to paulb, ru, stu littlefair. it should come as no surprise either that these are training monsters

In that case I recommend a few nice cups of tea accompanied by a good cake product. At the moment I'm taking small custard tarts from sainsbury's, but I may switch soon.

Stu Littlefair recommends taking chicken McNuggets generally and a bottle of Coke whilst climbing.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#12 Re: Supplements and Training
June 08, 2007, 02:48:55 pm
I've heard of good results from stacking custard tarts with treacle tarts. You need to take a tart inhibitor lest you start developing man boobs though. Of course, the serious athlete will be on a Battenburg / eclair / hot cross bun stack, with a Dundee cake taper before and after. Whipped cream (try Creambuterol) taken orally can promote bulking within this cycle, but this is addictive and can also lead to psychotic episodes.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#13 Re: Supplements and Training
June 08, 2007, 02:54:29 pm
I'd suggest any product endorsed by Dave Draper:

this is probably serious. i went round to pauls the other wk and had to spot him while he tried to bench arnold's encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding

Paul B

• forum hero
#14 Re: Supplements and Training
June 08, 2007, 06:28:02 pm
damn right, that books has got to be the best value for money per page, its huge! (A good read if you need some motivation or an intro into some weightlifting principals).

In all seriousness though the original post seems very vague and basically seems to be clawing at anything supplemental that can aid climbing, if you have a specific problem like feeling knackered from your previous session then I'd suggest maybe looking into protein shakes such as SIS Rego or Maximuscle promax. But be warned this might not be too useful to you as I AM the spitting image of Dave pictured above. Now where is the beefcake smiley?

saltbeef

• forum hero
#15 Re: Supplements and Training
June 08, 2007, 07:07:49 pm
In that case I recommend a few nice cups of tea accompanied by a good cake product. At the moment I'm taking small custard tarts from sainsbury's, but I may switch soon.

Stu Littlefair recommends taking chicken McNuggets generally and a bottle of Coke whilst climbing.

bear in mind this is Ru, sat in his living room with a campus board wearing a tens machine.
as for stu, his diet is incredible. i would imagine he has no need for sterroids, he inadvertently gets them from all the macd's he eats...

bouldermonkey

• regular
#16 Re: Supplements and Training
June 13, 2007, 12:42:15 pm
I Plateauxed during my training so i've just started lifting weights down the gym as well as my bouldering training and CV work.

I had noticed that for a few weeks on the trott, my ability at the wall declined and i seemed weaker and i could only think that its because i'm not getting enough protein after my workouts etc...

Considering starting to add some whey-protein in the form of Promax from Maximuscle to my diet ,just wondered, has anyone used it, any good? waste of money or recommended?

:shrug:

Tricky

#17 Re: Supplements and Training
June 13, 2007, 01:12:57 pm
i've started to use hemp protein, supposedly fully organic and easily absorbed by your body... it seems to be ok, not bulking up too much but getting stronger

bouldermonkey

• regular
#18 Re: Supplements and Training
June 13, 2007, 02:19:14 pm
Nice one Tricky, you got a link or site about it?

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#21 Re: Supplements and Training
June 13, 2007, 09:35:26 pm
I've been using SIS REGO for a couple of months now pretty easy to down one after a session, your supposed to get something into your system at least 20 minutes after a session and this is just convenient, like masturbating in an empty house. I reckon i definitely feel fewer aches and pains after climbing and this seems to make it easier to train more I feel fresher at the beginning of each session and don't feel worn down.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#22 Re: Supplements and Training
June 13, 2007, 09:39:10 pm
this is just convenient, like masturbating in an empty house.

:agree:

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile
#23 Re: Supplements and Training
July 03, 2007, 03:57:28 pm
After a bit of research i'm now using creatine ethle ester and a pre workout drink. And afterwards I'm drinking a whey protine shake. My climbing has drastically improved, I'm quite surprised to be honest.

I'm climbing for a lot longer and my recovery period has halved, not to mention I'm performing better.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal