UKBouldering.com

A5 British Bouldering Championships (BBC) 2003 (Read 7818 times)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
Dates for this years series:

Round 1 - National Rock Climbing Centre (Scotland) - aka Ratho - on Saturday 18 October (Juniors and Seniors)

Round 2 - BoulderUK, Blackburn on Saturday 1 November (Seniors), Sunday 2nd November (Juniors)

Round 3 - West View Leisure Centre, Preston on Saturday 22 November (Juniors) and Sunday 23 November (Seniors).

Round 3 - tbc

Entry forms will be available from the BMC later in the year. Info from http://www.planetfear.com

campusqueen

#1 BBC age groups
July 29, 2003, 11:44:14 pm
when's the cut off point for  the juniors in BBC this year? because I'm 16 throughout the comp but i was pretty sure that last year was my last chance to play as a junior. thanks

dave

Dang, I'm washing my hair those nights - looks like everyone is safe from humiliation this year *(Malc and Andy Earl breath a sign of relief)*.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#3 Re: BBC age groups
August 04, 2003, 09:03:43 am
Quote from: "campusqueen"
when's the cut off point for  the juniors in BBC this year? because I'm 16 throughout the comp but i was pretty sure that last year was my last chance to play as a junior. thanks

Dunno dude - once i have shifted the email backlog I will endeavour to find out.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
Right plastic fans, its BBC time again. Entry forms were mailed out to competitors from last year on Friday afternoon. The rounds are as follows:

Round 1   Ratho, Edinburgh   18 October 2003

Round 2   BoulderUK, Blackburn   1 November 2003 (Seniors)
Round 2   BoulderUK, Blackburn 2 November 2003 (Juniors)

Round 3   West View , Preston 22 November (Juniors)
Round 3   West View , Preston 23 November 2003 (Seniors)

Re the question about qualifying ages, you have to be 15 on 31/8 to enter as a Junior - that means, if you've turned 16 now you are too damn old! basically if you've got your GCSE results this year - you are too old.

Its expensive - Price for non-members £18.00 per round (£15.50 Junior),
Price for BMC member (includes Individual, Family and Club) £13.00 per (£10.50). Turning up on the day will set you back £22.50!  

As theres only three rounds all three scores count, so you cannae afford to have a shit day at any of them....

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
I'm waiting for my army of undercover spies to report anything at all back to me, but preliminary reports suggest that Big Malc must be back on form and stole the top spot, Andy Earl second and Chris Graham third.

The wall looks dope, hope to be able to provide more when my roving reporters surface. Expect they have given themselves hernias crimping so hard...

dave

is that place really built in a quarry? :shock:

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
Apparently three quarters of the climbing to be had in Ratho is on real rock but now undercover. They've had to retro bolt the old lines for health and safety reasons and some of them take in a belay half way! multi pitch climbing wall activity - whatever next?

Some of the bouldering features were not ready for the comp, and I think for the most part it was held on wobble boards.

dave

ahh, so retrobolting is ok provided you buy the crag first and build a roof over it! i can see it now, the chee dale indoor climbing centre. such classics as sirplum F5, mad dogs and englishmen F6b+ etc etc.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
Does that mean we get to pave the boggy death path too? and build a car park? fantastic - its almost enough to make me want to do routes.

dave

actually thinking about it they aught to buy horseshoe quarry and turn it into a indoor wall. the advantage being they wouldn't have to bother retrobolting everything cos its already been done, and it'd keep all the 3/4-length cotton-lycra wearing stamina fags off all the proper crags. :wink:

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
If you're gonna buy Horseshite and develop it why not dynamite the bottom half so that it develops some sort of dangerous overhang - at least it would make it more fun.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
The best fun I ever had at horseshite was trundling massive blocks from the top.

Someone should fill the place in.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
results are online over at Smartboys..........

Jonboy

• regular
Do all bouldering championships take place on ugly looking man made crap like above? :?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
Most of the time yes, its usually because they can't use the featured walls that are built in to climbing walls as they have features on that locals would know better than anyone else - not fair.

This weekend is the next round of the A5 BBC, this time its at Gaz and Ians in Blackburn. There are only 2 spaces left for blokes competing so get entered quick if you want too....

A crack team from UKB is going to show this Malcolm Smith character how it goes down, if it rains and you fancy a look in come and join us/take pictures etc....

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Quote from: "dobbin"
Most of the time yes, its usually because they can't use the featured walls that are built in to climbing walls as they have features on that locals would know better than anyone else - not fair.

This weekend is the next round of the A5 BBC, this time its at Gaz and Ians in Blackburn. There are only 2 spaces left for blokes competing so get entered quick if you want too....

A crack team from UKB is going to show this Malcolm Smith character how it goes down, if it rains and you fancy a look in come and join us/take pictures etc....

Ive just entered, you going dude? Anyone else of here entering?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
I'm going, as is UKB Chris and the very beautiful Simone

simone

• regular
Quote from: "dobbin"
I'm going, as is UKB Chris and the very beautiful Simone

why thank you, kind sir :o

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal