UKBouldering.com

Anything on Mull? (Read 3008 times)

haydnw

Anything on Mull?
May 18, 2007, 09:55:34 pm
I've got a week in Mull planned for July, and was just wondering whether it might be worth taking the mat with me? A quick Google search doesn't seem to have yielded anything of interest, but wasn't sure if it might be worth going prepared just in case it's worth a mess about anyway. The OS map certainly shows a rather rocky shoreline for about 300 miles!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Anything on Mull?
May 18, 2007, 10:00:45 pm
There's a lot of rock but a fair bit seems loose.  Just drive/ walk about and see what you find.  It's a brilliant island.
May be worth looking HERE

dave

#2 Re: Anything on Mull?
May 18, 2007, 11:38:34 pm
Theres some stuff on Mull documented in the Stone Country guide, but its such and dismal abortion of a guidebook its hard to glean any real info from it.

Hydraulic Man

• player
#3 Re: Anything on Mull?
May 19, 2007, 02:32:39 am
I climbed on there in 1987-seem to remember going to a place called Loch Buie?? Not sure if that is the right spelling but there was some good bouldering there next to the Beech-some of it was hard if I rememer rightly-it is right next to a very steep crag that at the time had no routes on it but that may have changed.

On the road to the above from Tobermory there is a brilliant slab at the side of the road-rock hard-but then so are the midges.....

Nice place though with some nice beeches..

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Anything on Mull?
May 22, 2007, 07:48:38 am
Theres some stuff on Mull documented in the Stone Country guide, but its such and dismal abortion of a guidebook its hard to glean any real info from it.

Where did you struggle with Dave?

dave

#5 Re: Anything on Mull?
May 22, 2007, 08:40:52 am
i stuggled to get my head round how someone could publish such a terrible guidebook without any of the proofreaders saying "hey this is shit".

bearing in mind i've not yet had the chance to use the guide up there whilst bouldering, that aspect of the guide is for me untested. however since theres so little actual bouldering guidebook info in there i don't think it can redeem the book as a whole even in a best case scenario!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6 Re: Anything on Mull?
May 22, 2007, 09:11:57 am
I don't think there were any proofreaders.

I think it is flawed but has some good ideas. Part 2 is meant to be out later in the year, see if it's any better.

The Topos are OK to use, as long as you bear in mind that none of the maps are actually to scale.

Are you still planning a trip?

dave

#7 Re: Anything on Mull?
May 22, 2007, 09:18:25 am
yes we're having a week in the ft billy area and a week on skye. the only bouldering i'm probably going to pursue is the glen nevis shit. roadside, thats what i'm talking about. i'm not arsed for walking miles up various hillsides on skye in search of si o'conors ballpointed fantasy-league problems. might go and solo tower ridge if im feeling fruity. or possibly even do a route on etive slabs if the wind is blowing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#8 Re: Anything on Mull?
May 22, 2007, 09:44:31 am
Have a shifty at the SkyeBloc Guide, it mentions other minor bouldering spots on Skye near to road, can't vouch for quality though. It's for sale in the "climbing shop" in Portree.

Nevis can be midge hell too, unless it's breezy. Etive is on cards for a visit soon.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal