UKBouldering.com

Found a crag (Read 2659 times)

adam

Found a crag
May 03, 2007, 10:27:36 pm
Ive found a crag but im a punter with no inclination for new routing and dont really know how to go about getting a closer look at it anyway. I dont think its in someones garden, but in a small area of wooded land immediately behind someones garden. Doesnt appear in any of the guides (ive checked '76, '83, '86 supplement and '99)

Its quarried lancs grit. Only small but from what I could see there looks to be a couple of lines on it. Although it could just be choss. I cant say for sure as its pretty obscured by trees from the opposite side of the valley where I saw it from.

So if anyone fancies having a look its on google earth here - 53°42'54.72" N 2°15'4.98"W or streetmap here

andy_e

• forum hero
#1 Re: Found a crag
May 04, 2007, 04:43:01 am
I've never checked that far up the valley (only got as far as Ramsbottom) but it sounds like it could be a find. My advice: Take a closer look when you're next in the area and then report back.

:)

adam2

#2 Re: Found a crag
May 04, 2007, 07:14:51 am
I couldnt log in for some reason?

hello Andi_e, its just down the road from me, so Ive grabbed a photo from the roadside before heading of to work.

Looks like theres a main buttress, about 10-12 metres high that extends to the right for maybe 10-15 metres. Its difficult to see how far to the left it extends. Rock looks sound from a distance, but we all know what them quarries can be like yeah! A tasty 5 or 6 metre layback flake by the looks of things.

Access should be possible without tramping through peoples gardens as there is a farm lane that goes up the left of it onto the moors above, but I took a quick drive up that lane and you cant see any of the crag from that farm lane. I was going to go for a short walk but didnt want to be seen wandering about with a camera at 7:00 in the morning behind peoples houses! :)

Heres the best shot I could get without looking like a burglar casing the joint...

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#3 Re: Found a crag
May 04, 2007, 09:05:24 am
Did you cut a couple of branches off that tree for a better view?

I have a feeling it's in the Brick somewhere, but I haven't brought it to work.  I'll have a look later when I finish picking up famous climber's litter from Brownstones.

adam2

#4 Re: Found a crag
May 05, 2007, 04:57:12 am
hello GCW

Its definately not in the brick but it could be in the recent shrunk version as I havent got that so couldnt check. I was told the new one had only had some crags removed, not than any new ones have been added so I assumed it wasnt in that one either.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#5 Re: Found a crag
May 05, 2007, 04:50:18 pm
If I'm right that it's at SD 834 243 there's no quarry/ outcrop marked on the OS maps.  Not in the Brick as you say.
Go and have a look- it's probably crap, but as R-Man is in Sheffield you'll have to do it for him  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal