UKBouldering.com

Rowtor Rocks - Sensitive (ish) Access (Read 24055 times)

Jacqusie

• stalker
Rowtor Rocks - Sensitive (ish) Access
May 01, 2007, 12:18:49 am
Just had the heads up from a visting Peak boulderer Steve Ebbens who informed me:

"Noticed that at Rowtor, as you approch
the crag from the Druids, some tracks running left of the main path
that can be used to get most directly to problems such as Short Seans and
the isolated slab 6a looked like they had been deliberately blocked off
with felled undergrowth / branches. These paths go directly above some
houses, and I guess that the residents are less keen on people using
these approaches. Got the distinct impression that we were being kept
tags on as we walked along, and then turned back from this approach.
Might be worth telling people to avoid these short cuts and instead
follow the main path and branch off higher up.
Guess we are all lazy, and if visiting frequently will trend to the
shortest option..."

After the access to the near by Eagle Tor being banned - although the rocks are not on Private land - there has been a few reports of challenges to access to the rocks by climbers.

Please, please stick to the path that runs behind the Druid's Inn and heads towards the caves.

If you want to access the bouldering above the lane go up on the upper tier round past the stone seats and down - maintaining a low profile for the locals...

This may sound a bit OTT and Nimby local fuss - but we don't want to upset any one else in this part of the world if we can help it.

Many Thanks

Simon Jacques
Peak Access Rep

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
 I also think it might be a good idea if people stopped parking at the bottom of the hill near the Vicarage (opposite MY Apple etc).

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
although the rocks are not on Private land

Who owns them then? I was under the impression they were owned by the pub.

BJ - I like the emphasis added by the capital Y there.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Freudian typo

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
I also think it might be a good idea if people stopped parking at the bottom of the hill near the Vicarage (opposite MY Apple etc).
I always thought you weren't suppose to park there anyway?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
It's not exactly a long walk from plenty of parking on the road.

Nigel

• forum hero
I always thought you weren't suppose to park there anyway?

That's where you parked last time!  :P

Jacqusie

• stalker
I can't be sure on who was working My Apple etc the day we walked past the Grange before the lines were done - but we did have to tut at the automobiles parked in the lane.

Of course it wasn't climbers!?  - who might have been on My Apple etc would never do it! - and we pushed on ...

Past Rockingstone Farm and a chat with Rachel - the owner of Eagle Tor - and all was well then...

I hope like Jonboy that by the end of the season some negotiations will have been taken place with Henry / Guy and myself to step up access back to the Tor....

Fingers X'd!

Si

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
although the rocks are not on Private land

so this bit of land is not owned then?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
I.e. I'm not wagging a finger at people who might have done so already (myself included), I'm saying it's a bad habit we should get out of.

Jacqusie

• stalker

Aye - park up at the Pub. Not that I'm advocating parking in a Pub car park without having a drink after - but the girl at the bar when we last went in, had to go and ask the land lord if she could SERVE us. He ummed a bit and said only if they sit outside!

...Red Lion anyone?!

Si

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
Also, the benefit of not parking right down there is you have less far to drive to Urban Culture Dispatj when you've finished at Rowtor.

Jacqusie

• stalker
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=240056&v=1#3528436

does any one know which problem the cup and ring is on please?

Cheers Chaps

Si

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
The most famous/ unique one is not on a climbing boulder.

This, less unique, doesn't appear to be either

Quote below, presumably from the same 'Stubob' who has posted on UKC.
Most of the ancient carvings are found on the western edge of the outcrop, around the level below the 3 seater rock armchair.

The 'cross' in Baz's pic is on the northern side 20ft below the armchair.

The cup and ringed marked boulder can be seen south of the chair on the level below, two of the carvings can be seen. While a very worn third carving, is on the boulders top flat left hand corner.

25ft west of the cup and ring boulder and under a large tree is a very worn carving of a 'serpent'? There's a large cup mark and a faint wavy line travelling down the rock, with a semi cirle carving next to it ( along with the cup this is the most prominent part )

A couple of feet below this, in the tree roots is another rock with a worn carving along the same lines as the 'serpent'. 6 cup marks and another faint wavy line between them.
Posted by stubob
4th December 2002ce

I'm not convinced any of these are on problems. However, there are lots of cup marks here so its possible on is on the top-out of something. I would be wary of immediately 'banning' the problem, there must be hundreds of problems in the uk that have cup-marks on or near them, and its not always clear whether they are weathering features or true cup-marks.

Just as a twist, new-agers have already adopted the custom of chalking cup-marks (usually on standing stones) to make them more visible. I'm not sure how widespread/ accepted this is but its fairly common.

All from The Modern Antiquarian site

Jacqusie

• stalker
Your spot on of course - but this is from a climbers point of view - the locals might think differently and having lost Eagle - we are really having to be on best behaviour round Birchover if we can as things have been said and things are sensitive.

The lower, meduim size,  Langdale Boulder has some carvings on it and boulderers were asked not to climb on them - ok they were only the start of a V0 / V1 (I forget) and I remember doing the problems without realising it and then feeling guilty when someone pointed it out to me.

I guess we just need to find out what / where it is and if there is something that needs to be looked at then we can have a chat with Henry & Guy (we spoke today) and see what they think...

Bonjoy might know more tomorrow hopefully...

Cheers

Si

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Having also seen those pics on Modern Antiquarian I have been looking for these rings for a while. I've certainly never seen them on any of the problems I've been on. I could be wrong but perhaps this guy is getting his ancient carvings mixed up and objecting to climbers pulling on the various notches and gutters, which are not very ancient or rare.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
That was my hunch. He's the biggest peak poster on TMA though, so presumably knows his onions, though of course he could be their FOAM/ Andi_e.

Anyway, he's posted on UKC that he's sending Si some pics. Post 'em up Si, then all us dogs can see the rabbits.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Aye, a few pics should get to the bottom of it

Jacqusie

• stalker
Aye, a few pics should get to the bottom of it

Or the top - yok!

I've Emailed Stuart and am awaiting some piccys - I'll stick them on my website & post the link when I get them - as I am bludy useless at trying to put pictures on here!

Si

Jacqusie

• stalker
In reply to Johnny Brown

The rabbits for you dogs:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonjacques/

What you reckon - its that problem bloc that goes to the flake isn't it?

Certainly looks as though the ring doesn't need to be used - but has been as a topper.

I'm sure that it doens't NEED to be used - but how do you reckon we go forward with this as its similar to the Langdale Boulders situaton.

...hmmmm...

Cheers guys

Si

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
 I know the boulder. It's the one behind you if you are facing Domes. Can honestly say i've never climbed it, so can't be definative on it's merits, but I don't think it would be a huge loss to the climbing community if the new guide suggested that people don't climb on it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 09:01:08 am by Bonjoy »

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Ditto. Not much lost there.

I think what one of the problems might be, well to me as a local is...that a large isolated boulder, behind the terrace with the armchair, is being used for bouldering and judging by the white chalk marks the prehistoric cup and ring marking, of which there are 3, is being used as a hand-hold...I have photographs of this...and it ain't right.

sorry but you gotta respect heritage sites.

He's being rather alarmist about the it though, eh? I was expecting it to be at least chalked as a hold.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 09:07:12 am by Johnny Brown »

Jacqusie

• stalker
Yeah - its not exactly "caked" in chalk is it?

- I guess I'll just tell people to be carefull in the guide - leave the problem alone as it doesn't look worth pulling on in the first place!

Cheers

Si

Idol eyes

• junky
Got some info for the guide...
does the Druids own this place?
the name of my problem here is, Ring Of Eternity

simes

• stalker
    • http://www.simes303.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.htm
Whats a Cup And Ring, and why are people eager to preserve them?

Cheers. Si.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal