UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573813 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#500 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 22, 2007, 08:44:45 pm

Is the mtb any good there?

webbo

• forum hero
#501 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 22, 2007, 08:52:30 pm
it always used to be pretty good.however they have spent a lot of time and money creating new circuits and an area where you can do those jump things and break bits of your body and bike.which has just reminded me i broke my collar bone up there  when my front tire blew out at speed.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#502 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 22, 2007, 09:10:13 pm

Ouch!

I've seen a vid of the fun park bit - looks fun but not enough for a full day's entertainment - might have a wander up there on the hardtail sometime and drag the fatties out.

webbo

• forum hero
#503 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 23, 2007, 08:35:37 am
there is loads more trails and circuits outside the forrest up on the moors.

Dolly

• forum hero
#504 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 23, 2007, 05:35:27 pm
Ti bike all built up, but.......
it needs a 30.8 or 30.9 mm seatpost.

Can't seem to find a carbon one on most of the popular on line sites. Anyone know where such a thing might exist ?
Failing that I'll just call Bianchi I guess

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#505 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 23, 2007, 05:57:23 pm
Easton do a couple of carbon seat posts in 30.9 - dunno where sells them mind but worth a Google i'm sure

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#506 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 23, 2007, 08:49:10 pm
WHAT...

no Ti seatpost????

why man?

why?

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#507 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 24, 2007, 07:09:09 pm
Just had a quick squiz at this weeks cycling weekly, which informs me that training on rollers is now back in fashion as the way to train in the winter - fuck me, I'm doing something fasionable! Check me out :wave:
Also, I've got round to rebuilding the old Colnago International I was given that has been languishing in the garage for the last year. The new 'winter bike' should be ready to roll in a day or two. It'll be the rusty pile with shiney new brakes then! I'll post a photo when I can work out how to do it.

webbo

• forum hero
#508 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 26, 2007, 09:03:27 am
training on rollers might be back in fashion but is it any good.when i followed the workouts and structure in pete reads turbo training to win over a couple of winters. i went from hanging on in the bunch to usually getting in the winning break nearly every week.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#509 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 26, 2007, 09:25:34 am
WHAT...

no Ti seatpost????

why man?

why?

Surely Ti seatpost in a Ti frame is not a good idea in case they start picking up when you keep raising and dropping the saddle?

Oh, yeh, I see now ...

webbo

• forum hero
#510 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 26, 2007, 09:35:05 am
it always used to be pretty good.however they have spent a lot of time and money creating new circuits and an area where you can do those jump things and break bits of your body and bike.which has just reminded me i broke my collar bone up there  when my front tire blew out at speed.

went there on sat after a session at oaklands wall.did the red circuit seemed technical and exciting enough for me not having ridden my m.b for about 7 years.true to form i managed to fall off right at the end and bruise my thigh and forearm.maybe this is way i haven't bothered mountain biking for so long.

Dolly

• forum hero
#511 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 26, 2007, 09:46:48 am
Easton do a couple of carbon seat posts in 30.9 - dunno where sells them mind but worth a Google i'm sure

Cheers managed to find one over weekend.

WHAT...

no Ti seatpost?

why man?

why?

Must admit that never occurred to me. Then looked at prices and saw the cheapest one was £97 !

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#512 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 26, 2007, 12:38:37 pm
you NEED this mate... really, you do...

Fatleg

• addict
#513 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 27, 2007, 08:11:38 pm
I want a new bike. What should I  get. Titanium or carbon. Ti is heavier than carbon but is indestructable. Any thoughts appreciated before I splash the cash.

clm

• forum hero
#514 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 27, 2007, 10:04:51 pm
1.  You guys watched belleville rendezvous?  Good leg shaving film.
2.  You lot are harping on about winter bikes.  Will it really do my new bike too much harm if i only have, and can only afford, an all year bike.  it cost less than 4 hundred.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#515 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 27, 2007, 11:48:09 pm
1.  You guys watched belleville rendezvous?  Good leg shaving film.
had it on DVD for ages and still not got round to watching it.

2.  You lot are harping on about winter bikes.  Will it really do my new bike too much harm if i only have, and can only afford, an all year bike.  it cost less than 4 hundred.
I think these boys with the luxury of having a choice of hugely expensive bikes don't like to get salt/grit/mud on their precious carbon fibre/titanium/metal-matrix etc. The salt might etch the logos off the aluminum Campag group set (Zut alors!) I don't think you need to worry, hose it down to get the salt off if you do have a wet ride in the winter. Big H always keeps full length mud guards on his training bike year round. Saw the big man tonight and he's say's he'll get his legendary skiing vid on YouTube soon.

webbo

• forum hero
#516 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 28, 2007, 08:19:07 am
I want a new bike. What should I  get. Titanium or carbon. Ti is heavier than carbon but is indestructable. Any thoughts appreciated before I splash the cash.
it depends what you intend to do with it.carbon is more ridgid and therefore your efforts will mean more power being laid down and less comfort.titanium is a softer ride almost like having suspension so some of your energy goes to waste but its a less harsh ride.

Dolly

• forum hero
#517 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 28, 2007, 09:46:38 am
Good advice IMO.
Probably worth getting some mudgaurds to keep the worst of the weather off as well

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#518 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 28, 2007, 10:33:36 am
cant be arsed with havin a winter bike... lets face it the damage done by winter roads salt etc.. pales compared to MTB winter component running costs... i swear MTB metal components are in fact cheese.

chappers

• forum hero
#519 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 28, 2007, 02:06:14 pm
i want to get a pressure washer. or atleast a hose-pipe, getting sick of cleaning my bike with a bucket and sponge...

nik at work

• forum hero
#520 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 28, 2007, 02:42:06 pm
My dad went out and got a big ass petrol all singing and dancing pressure washer, tried to clean the car with it and stripped some of the paint. How we laughed. In the end the only use he could find for it was breaking up a concrete patio he didn't want and crowd control (the golf club can get pretty rowdy apparently...)

Mind you a bargain basin electric jobbie will probably not have the power to bend a bike frame.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#521 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 28, 2007, 03:08:50 pm
I was told that you can use a Karcher or other similarly low pressure high pressure jet as long as you don't point the jet at the bottom bracket, rear mech etc.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#522 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 28, 2007, 03:13:09 pm
My dad went out and got a big ass petrol all singing and dancing pressure washer, tried to clean the car with it and stripped some of the paint. How we laughed. In the end the only use he could find for it was breaking up a concrete patio he didn't want and crowd control (the golf club can get pretty rowdy apparently...)

Mind you a bargain basin electric jobbie will probably not have the power to bend a bike frame.
That's genius! Remember even a cheapo one can strip all the grease from even sealed bearings! Keep well clear of all lubed bits of your bike. In face however much it is tempting, you better off using a normal hose and soft brush/sponge to clean your bike.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#523 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 28, 2007, 03:57:53 pm
i agree  :goodidea:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#524 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 28, 2007, 04:05:58 pm
Pah! You techy bike geeks are so boring. Road bikes, mountain bikes, summer bikes, winter bikes, carbon this, titanium that! Sometimes you just want to say 'oh sod all this, lets go... trottinerbe!'

Is there a better way to travel on two wheels?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal