UKBouldering.com

Taking a month off! (Read 2498 times)

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
Taking a month off!
April 27, 2007, 12:12:34 pm
I've read a bit about people taking a month or so off as part of their training and 'am considering doing the same.. I'm stronger than I've ever been and have been going well, but I'm also feeling really knackered a lot of the time and feel that some form of complete rest, followed by some active (non climbing rest) would be beneficial.. especially as I'm gonna have to train really hard for some of the stuff I want to do next autumn / spring.. I wondered if anyone has done or does something similar? what amount of time they take off and what sort of training you do whilst 'resting'.. I figured running, stretching..?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Taking a month off!
April 27, 2007, 12:58:48 pm
I'm also feeling really knackered a lot of the time and feel that some form of complete rest, followed by some active rest
I think you've answered your own question.
Aerobic exercise/ active rest.
How long?  Judge it by how you feel.  I tended to go out on good days for a boulder and see how things felt.  Enthusiasm is a big part of it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Taking a month off!
April 27, 2007, 01:04:21 pm
During enforced "rests" I have taken in the past I have done aything possible to keep active / sane. Swimming, surfing, biking even running.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#3 Re: Taking a month off!
April 27, 2007, 07:19:54 pm
my advise is don't take a month off. I did last year and it fucked me up big time
maybe take a month or so off hard climbing, but not climbing totally

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Taking a month off!
April 27, 2007, 08:43:17 pm
my advise is don't take a month off. I did last year and it fucked me up big time
maybe take a month or so off hard climbing, but not climbing totally
the future isn't so bright for me then after having 3 months off already and having at least two more to go!

Seriously though, i've taken time out before and never really regretted it (well apart from the 1st session back where you think you've lost every bit of skill and strength you ever had). I reckon it gives your body a chance to fix all of those little niggles and allows you to start again fresh. The times i've taken out i've usually followed a weights programme on the antagonistic muscles just to try and regain a little bit of balance. Tried running once...never again.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#5 Re: Taking a month off!
April 29, 2007, 09:13:39 am
you'd find it more enjoyable if you waited while that contraption was off your leg ;)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#6 Re: Taking a month off!
May 08, 2007, 02:28:49 pm
i spoke with michele caminati once, and he told me "i generally take ONE WEEK OFF every year". then he smiled and added "but usually i have a power recruitment session mid week".

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal