UKBouldering.com

Haweswater: The Hollow Stone (Read 2245 times)

tc

• junky
Haweswater: The Hollow Stone
April 24, 2007, 03:13:58 pm
My gift to you:

The Hollow Stone, Haweswater
OS Explorer Map OL5; Grid Ref: 481 117
Location: East Side of Haweswater, perched above Rowantree Beck/ Hopgill Beck
Park: Layby at the start of the Old Corpse Road to Swindale
Approach: Walk south down the road for 300 metres to the small bridge over the beck. Through the gate on the left and steeply uphill to the Hollow Stone, which can be clearly seen from the road.

There are now half a dozen old school highball problems (English 5a to 6a/b) on this superb boulder, all very good. The two on the right hand side have hospital landings but are thankfully quite straightforward. The traverse is superb. All of the chalked holds have been pulled on in various combinations and detailed descriptions are not necessary. Just go seek! The situation is stunning. Enjoy!

Further up the fellside lie more secrets waiting to be rediscovered, including a hard project traverse on monos and a nice crispy roof problem...

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#1 Re: Haweswater: The Hollow Stone
April 24, 2007, 08:49:33 pm
You've such a way with words Tim - crispy roof?  I don't know about anyone else,but this sounds rather savoury, hmmm, nice...

Greg C

• forum hero
#2 Re: Haweswater: The Hollow Stone
April 25, 2007, 04:42:27 pm
nice crispy roof problem

It's almost Si O'conor-esque  :-\ ...Alright Tim, when was the last time you visited Skye? And do you have a GNVQ in PhotoShopping??  ;)

tc

• junky
#3 Re: Haweswater: The Hollow Stone
April 25, 2007, 05:07:04 pm
Right, sunshine -- first I'm an 'old gnarler' and now you accuse me of being O'Connor-esque. It's definitely glucosamine sulphate tablets at dawn for you, young man  ;)
The roof is described as "crispy" because, since it faces north, has been exposed to the full force of the weather for several million years and was unclimbed, the first couple of holds are...well...were... a bit...er... crispy.
The highball thing is a bit of theme at the moment (c/f the slab problem at Carrock). Don't tell my mother. She worries.

AndyR

• forum hero
#4 Re: Haweswater: The Hollow Stone
April 25, 2007, 08:49:53 pm

The roof is described as "crispy" because, since it faces north, has been exposed to the full force of the weather for several million years.......
I like hyperbole as much as the next man, but just over 10,000 years is a better guess.....

tc

• junky
#5 Re: Haweswater: The Hollow Stone
April 25, 2007, 10:23:52 pm
I love hyperbole more than anything else in the whole universe and have done for millions of years
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 10:31:55 pm by tc »

PATRuL

• menacing presence
#6 Re: Haweswater: The Hollow Stone
April 25, 2007, 10:31:47 pm
Hyperbollicks more like ::)
No I'm sure its good just i;m grounded by mammi for 3 months
Yoiks

AndyR

• forum hero
#7 Re: Haweswater: The Hollow Stone
April 26, 2007, 04:28:53 am
I love hyperbole more than anything else in the whole universe and have done for millions of years

If I've told you once, I've told you a billion times.

PATRuL

• menacing presence
#8 Re: Haweswater: The Hollow Stone
April 26, 2007, 07:12:46 pm
oh sorry sorry sorry

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal