UKBouldering.com

Crag graf (Read 13595 times)

Joe Brown

Crag graf
April 22, 2007, 05:45:44 pm
Whoever used chalk to draw a picture of a spunking cock under The Pinch at that crag this weekend, I brushed it off. Next time you decide to do a self-portrait try using a pen and paper.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#1 Re: Crag graf
April 22, 2007, 06:23:45 pm
Probably some chav.

Failing that could be a mute boulderer wanting to let of some steam for not being strong enough!

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#2 Re: Crag graf
April 23, 2007, 09:54:49 am
Was this penis wider than it was long?  If so the list of possible perpetraters would be very short (ie one). With the crag in question being steeper than 'slightly overhanging', it would also fit with mini's Cracker-esque crime psychology.

Come on Choaderson admit it.

ehmojow

#3 Re: Crag graf
April 23, 2007, 09:58:19 am
I think it's hilarious that someone drew an ejaculating cock on some bit of rock.  I don't see the harm if it just rubs off.  Fair enough if it was permanent ,but seriously, it's not the end of the world is it?  Climbing isn't everything :shag:

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#4 Re: Crag graf
April 23, 2007, 10:26:36 am
I dont. I think its shit. Dont know if you are aware, access to that crag is sensitive and we are not officially supposed to even go there.

I'm all for banter and people having the craic but potentially this could jeopardise access to one of the best limestone bouldering venues around. The valley is an SSSI and officially off limits, climbers shouldnt really be going at all, but a blind eye is turned on the understanding that we keep a low profile.

saltbeef

• forum hero
#5 Re: Crag graf
April 23, 2007, 11:24:11 am
nice comment emjohow. whoever did this is a dick. as dobbin says, in the current era of crags such as eagle tor being banned, climbers should be sensible in their behaviour as percieved by the general public. Drawing a cock on a piece of rock in an sssi is pretty fucking stupid. I obviously tit about when i'm out climbing, but i generally brush off a fair bit of chalk and tick marks etc and try and clean up. noticeably someone has sdone a turd and left loads of bogrollby the path on the way in. Is this more climbers?
Its time people grew up, I for one don't want to loose access to another crag through loosers behaving like they're thirteen. If you wanna draw a cock on something try doing it in a motorway service station. Wankers...

account_inactive

• forum hero
#6 Re: Crag graf
April 23, 2007, 12:45:15 pm
Agreed.  It's shit like this that gets crags banned

Joe Brown

#7 Re: Crag graf
April 23, 2007, 01:01:33 pm
Yeah, bang on guys. I wonder if behaviour like this a result of more people getting in to climbing through climbing walls? I certainly learnt what I know about climbing ethics and respect from more experienced folks taking me under their wings and, quite literally, showing me the ropes. I hope this action was the result of genuine youthful (?) inexperience. A mistake. If not, then what on earth are you playing at? My point being that, just as the older guys looked out for me when I first started climbing, it's now perhaps my turn, and that of my contemporaries, to step up and do our bit in educating those new to the sport.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#8 Re: Crag graf
April 23, 2007, 01:06:01 pm
I seem to have seen a lot more of this sort of thing recently. I brushed a two feet long elephant, complete with hunters, off the bottom of Gentlemen's Rock in Dimmings Dale on Saturday. Kim and Cofe pointed out that I may have just destroyed a stone age cave masterpiece, but I'm pretty sure early homo erectus didn't use super chalk. Two weeks ago I brushed a big heart off the bottom of the classic highball slab at a Swiss venue with current access issues, along with lots and lots of big, thick tick marks on virtually every problem. Worst of all, on the way back from Switzerland we stopped at Cuisiniere, where someone had presumably let their kids draw three foot human outlines on several boulders in orange black board chalk, which wouldn't brush off.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#9 Re: Crag graf
April 23, 2007, 03:21:29 pm
 It is absolutely crucial people don't take the access situation at this crag for granted and act with according respect. The area is home to rare and vulnerable wildlife and we're very lucky to have got away with climbing there for so long. You can be totally sure that if climbers are seen to be disrespecting the area or turning up too frequently or in quantity, it will be the end of climbing there for good.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#10 Re: Crag graf
April 23, 2007, 03:27:39 pm
I think it's hilarious that someone drew an ejaculating cock on some bit of rock.  I don't see the harm if it just rubs off.  Fair enough if it was permanent ,but seriously, it's not the end of the world is it?  Climbing isn't everything :shag:

I like to go to the Roaches bouldering and nail Ring Ousels to the top of Mushin'.  Piss myself every time.   :wank:

It's stupid sh*t like this that loses us decent venues.  If you see it, brush it off.  Ha ha f*ckin ha.

north_country_boy

• junky
#11 Re: Crag graf
April 23, 2007, 07:09:40 pm

I suspect its no coincidence that was your first and only post......maybe you are more than just acknowledging this behaviour as being ok.....?!?

Fucking mindless idiot whoever did it..... :furious:

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#12 Re: Crag graf
April 23, 2007, 11:44:06 pm

ehmojow, I'm a bit dismayed with myself here as I'm clearly rising to a very simplistically constructed bait. Alas, like the foolhardy fish attacks the lure, I simply have to heap disdain upon you.

You are scum and a spunking cock yourself. I would like to draw a spunking cock on your face in indellible marker (what harm does it do? It'll wash off eventually). You deserve to choke on your own penis - A feat no doubt you have mastered given your penchant for spunking cocks.

andy_e

• forum hero
#13 Re: Crag graf
April 24, 2007, 12:42:14 am
Somebody had written "Cunt!" just above the jug on Angel Deelite and I brushed it off. two weeks later it could still be just about made out in the patch of chalk.  :wank:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#14 Re: Crag graf
April 24, 2007, 08:55:34 am
Somebody had written "Cunt!" just above the jug on Angel Deelite and I brushed it off.

Someone knew you were going there  :lol:

ehmojow

#15 Re: Crag graf
April 24, 2007, 09:36:39 am
I see where you are coming from and my earlier comment was a little childish I suppose.  It is unacceptable for someone to create such images on crags with access issues such as the aforementioned venues.  I apologise whole-heartedly for my comment earlier about it being hilarious.  I did not consider the wider consequences of such actions   :oops:

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#16 Re: Crag graf
April 24, 2007, 02:49:30 pm
while not condoning the cock, its possible some climbers aren't aware of the delicate nature of the venue - don't want to sound elitist but it would be good to somehow disuade casual users who don't share the love?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#17 Re: Crag graf
April 24, 2007, 03:06:51 pm
I agree. Think its a bit of an issue that this particular crag has become popular. It seems that everyone knows about it. In the old days you had to beg to be taken by someone in the know and then only after a thorough explanation of the access issues. These days word has spread and its not uncommon to see several cars parked up at the top. We've got to be well careful with this crag, its pretty obvious that a car parked in that spot = climbers.

Theres some folklore around the crag but I would have thought most of the problems there too tough for most casuals?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#18 Re: Crag graf
April 25, 2007, 04:57:25 pm
or maybe it's fools who have put it in it's own thread on what is probably britains most popular bouldering site

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#19 Re: Crag graf
April 25, 2007, 09:54:26 pm
That is a good point. Me and Follicle were talking about this very same issue this evening. Should we remove all stickitis references to said crag? Perhaps we should? Think theres a case for so doing?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#20 Re: Crag graf
April 25, 2007, 11:25:57 pm
a quite strong case i would say, but is the damage already done?

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#21 Re: Crag graf
April 26, 2007, 08:00:58 am
Can't hurt. I'd take down references - maybe, even, get people should take off references from their 8a scorecard? I imageine that gets looked at a lot.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#22 Re: Crag graf
April 26, 2007, 08:14:02 am
take down stuff from their scorecard. really ru is your faith in human nature that great?  ;)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#23 Re: Crag graf
April 26, 2007, 08:29:02 am
Remove all reference. The species found nearby is found nowhere else in the world. The area is protected to the highest levels, its a miracle clandestine access is ignored as it is.

dave

#24 Re: Crag graf
April 26, 2007, 12:28:28 pm
i'm going to play devils advocat here but i you remove all reference to it on here then how are people going to know there's access issues at all? Bearing in mind even if you remove all trace of the crag here its still all over old OTE issues, photos and vids on the web, and they ain't going to re-edit Stick it or One Summer for our benefit.

Also bear in mind that the access issue isn't apparent on any OS maps, theres no signs up at the crag, most modern guides pretend the crag doesn't exist, and there is no entry on the bmc access database.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal