UKBouldering.com

Bouldering in Mizugaki (Read 2339 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Bouldering in Mizugaki
April 17, 2007, 10:48:39 am

Since I've enthused about the bouldering in Ogawayama, both on my regular blog and on ukclimbing.com , I might have to describe the bouldering in the neighbouring valley, Mizugaki (瑞牆), as well.

The boulders in Mizugaki are very much akin to the boulders in Ogawayama. Huge high-friction granite boulders with a lot of natural pockets! In fact I would say that Mizugaki has even more heavily pocketed rock then the granite boulders in Ogawayama. The day I went there I pulled on maybe one crimp, other than that it was just pockets and slopers, so you might want to train that open-hand strength before you go.

The boulders rests in a beautiful pine-forest. Because of the elevation, it should be possible to climb in Mizugaki during the summer as well.

As far as I can see there are two main drawbacks. Firstly, the boulders are spread out on a wide area and are quite far apart, so you have to walk a bit between the problems. Secondly, that most problems are quite hard, from 1-dan and up, or very high.

The Mizugaki bouldering area is 40 min from Ogawayama by car, and is a very good complement to the bouldering in Ogawayama.

Photos I have a slideshow from our visit last Saturday on my flickr-account. Apparently there is a segment from Mizugaki on »Frequent Flyers« but I haven't seen that video.

More info on http://thousand-cranes.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal