UKBouldering.com

Brownstones Quarry Wiki (Read 6734 times)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 15, 2007, 02:39:07 pm
OK, so it had to be done.  Inspired by Hill Wunt's Hex Pill Wiki, I've created a Brownstones Wiki for everyone to enjoy/ laugh at/ slag off, and more to the point contribute to.

The aim of this guide is different to the Pex wiki.  I've done it as a guide, but hopefully videos will be a significant part of it.  I've linked in 55 videos so far and ideally I'd want a video for each of the problems (a bigger task than it may sound considering the state of some problems/ top outs).

This is supposed to be interactive and I'd love it if people gave feedback or added photos or videos.  I've tried to make sure it all makes sense but any queries please ask.

Sorry to clm and Dylan but there's a couple of pages with holds and numbers- shudder.  You have been warned.

Let me know what you think people!!!

Just click HERE

account_inactive

• forum hero
#1 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 15, 2007, 07:20:39 pm
I'm more embarrassed that Hanks wall sit start and Sieta's present are both mine  :-[

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 15, 2007, 07:53:06 pm
Dylan:  Ha ha.  They only made it in so that I had some come back!!   :lol:  I still haven't linked them into Hank's though  :-[  Two sick puppies of yours.

On a serious note, if anyone spots any cock ups please let me know.

Should there be:
Graded list (always a laugh)?
1st ascents of problems not in the Brick?

Owt else?

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#3 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 15, 2007, 10:27:47 pm
There should be an amendment of the reference to Pex Hill as an "esoteric venue/ local crag". It's genuinely world class!

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#4 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 15, 2007, 10:49:27 pm
Well said Tom  :agree:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#5 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 16, 2007, 08:56:28 am
Sorry guys.  I'll change that when I get home tonight.
If that's your only comment I'm a bit surprised.  Amused that the only people looking are the Pex Posse.   :lol:

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#6 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 16, 2007, 09:32:43 am
It's not my only comment on Brownnose Quarry.

Nice one for the crag dedication, but I can't help thinking if it might be better to lump all of the NW crags into one big wiki? A resource to end all resources!

Spoke to R-Man on Saturday and had a nice conversation about quarry's and the unneccessary bad wrap some of them receive.

Did you know that if you acheive CDD in your A Levels, you qualify to study Quarry Management at Leeds University. I always wondered what the social's would be like with those zany folk..

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#7 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 16, 2007, 12:30:07 pm
True, but SouthLancsBouldering is the guide to Lancs Bouldering.  Being honest the only other venue with lots of quality bouldering is Craig Y Longridge (there are other Lancs crgs but Greg has covered these perfectly well).

It just seemed more sensible to do a single crag- why not lump Pex in with an area Wiki?  Because they deserve their own, in my opinion.

Plus getting videos of 200 problems is crazy.  Getting vids for every problem in a region is insane!!!!

Thanks for the feedback though- very welcome.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#8 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 16, 2007, 01:08:56 pm
Being honest the only other venue with lots of quality bouldering is Craig Y Longridge

I feel duty bound to point out that lots is the operative word here. There are plenty of other places with quality problems, just not high concentrations of them. And in case anyone was wondering, for quality up problems, Brownstones is miles better than Longridge.

Good work with the wiki, GCW!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 01:20:18 pm by r-man »

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#9 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 16, 2007, 02:26:38 pm

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#10 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 16, 2007, 10:54:32 pm
I'm a bit disappointed by the article in Climb mag.  Crap photos and not much said in the article itself.
Plus I was there the day after and they had left chalk everywhere, little monkeys.

webbo

• forum hero
#11 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 17, 2007, 08:09:01 am
I'm a bit disappointed by the article in Climb mag. 

but probably not as disappointed as i was when i visited this so called bouldering mecca. ;)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#12 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 17, 2007, 08:42:24 am
but probably not as disappointed as i was when i visited this so called bouldering mecca. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's a mecca for those in Lancashire.
I must admit it takes a couple of visits to get acquainted and get to grips with the harder problems.  And it is very addictive.
Wbbo, maybe if you tried it again you may like it  :read:

webbo

• forum hero
#13 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 17, 2007, 08:54:04 am
it would mean i would have drive past all of yorkshire including wetherby to visit ;D.also if i was gonna drive that far i'd go a bit futher to thorn or the s/lakes lime which i imagine might be more rewarding.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#14 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 17, 2007, 09:13:48 am
Tht
at's the point.  It's a locals crag, but certainly worth visiting if you are passing- it's close to motorways.

You think Wetherby is a better venue than Brownstones?????

webbo

• forum hero
#15 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 17, 2007, 10:09:19 am
i was being ironic hence the ;D mind wetherby does have some good problems.the first part of the lipo suction traverse being particularly fine.

r-man

• forum hero
#16 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 17, 2007, 10:43:22 am
It's in a quarry, blah blah blah, it's rubbish, blah blah blah.  :yawn:

I was in Wales on the weekend and it really is beautiful on a grand scale. But I enjoy Brownstones just as much. When the rock glows orange and the sky is blue, it hardly seems like a shitty hole in the ground. Because it isn't.

For starters, Brownstones is more of an edge. It only has one side. So the hole in the ground idea is nonsense. And to be honest, this idea that a quarry is intrinsically less appealing than a natural creation is just rubbish. Sure, there are shitty quarries, but there are also shitty natural crags. And beauty comes in many guises. It strikes me as odd that so many boulderers get on their high horse about location. Bouldering is about appreciating the smaller things, about discovering the unobvious challenges, not just blinkered questing after obvious lines. What's a line? It's something striking, it's the same thing everyone notices, it's the easiest thing to look at. It may be impressive, but that doesn't mean it climbs well. And it's only impressive because it's a little slice of order in chaos, a rule to gravitate towards, a straight edge in an unhuman world. All I'm saying is that it's good to be open to everything. Look at these photos of various quarries:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=20343
http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=40921
http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=36221
http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=31393
http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=27703
http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=27179

You can tell me there's nothing appealing about any of those, but I won't believe you. Everyone I've taken to Brownstones has enjoyed it, from Peak Grit addicts to South Lakes limestoners. It helps to have someone to show you around, because the style is unique and very different from grit slapping or limestone cranking, so it takes a while to get used to it. But when you do, it's great. I love Brownstones. Rant over.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#17 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 17, 2007, 11:25:10 am
Although I think the quarries have worth....................I don't think you are going to win any votes with those pics

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#18 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 17, 2007, 11:26:40 am
Well done R-Man!!  Solidarity for the Brownstones crew!

It's one of those places you either love or hate.  But don't dismiss it at the first visit.

Vitamin K

• addict
#19 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 17, 2007, 11:53:58 am
Don't deny your roots Dylan.

I've had phases with Brownstones but I'm glad it's on my doorstep - got back into it recently and I still think it's a great venue. OK, it's not Fontainebleau but it isn't as bad as it's made out and you know, with the trees and stuff, it has quite a pleasant ambience.

As for those sitters, you should be ashamed of yourself - Mark says hello by the way, or at least I think that's what he said; he's fatter than ever.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#20 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 17, 2007, 11:57:57 am
I forgot you are too old school to sit down ;) what with those knackered knees

The point I'm making is that although its a good place to boulder those pics made it look shit

Glad to hear you are still alive Mr K :)  Say hi to Mark for me and get him to send me an e-mail as I'm living back in Sheffield again

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#21 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 17, 2007, 12:01:33 pm
Those sitters are horrid.   :'(

Why is it called "Sieta's Present" by the way?

r-man

• forum hero
#22 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 17, 2007, 04:25:43 pm

You can tell me there's nothing appealing about any of those, but I won't believe you.

those pics made it look shit

I don't believe you. ;)

account_inactive

• forum hero
#23 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 17, 2007, 04:28:24 pm
Those sitters are horrid.   :'(

Why is it called "Sieta's Present" by the way?

Named after a friend of mine

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#24 Re: Brownstones Quarry Wiki
April 17, 2007, 08:45:46 pm
Named after a friend of mine

Mr. Present?  Makes sense.

73 delightful videos now available.  And a graded list (uh oh).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal