UKBouldering.com

Five Clouds Restrictions (Read 3419 times)

AndiT

• forum abuser
Five Clouds Restrictions
April 05, 2007, 11:38:48 am
Hi,

Peregrines are trying to nest at the Five Clouds and because of this voluntary restrictions have been put in place. Can we please avoid 3rd, 4th and 5th cloud and the boulders beneath until it's been determined what they are doing. This should be reviewed on the 27th April unless it becomes apparent earlier that they aren't staying.

So, if you haven't done Tetris and Ready Brek yet, shame on you and you'll have to wait now.

It's worth noting that despite the signs and the RAD stuff, some people still climbed there last week and had to be asked to leave. This doesn't only paint a bad picture for us climbers but also means that the birds may take longer to choose their nest site, effectively prolonging the restrictions.

Thanks, have a great weekend,

Andi Turner

galpinos

• forum hero
#1 Re: Five Clouds Restrictions
April 05, 2007, 02:28:36 pm

I was one of the climbers asked to leave. The reason was we didn't know there were any restrictions and someone had pulled the sign down and stuffed it under a rock!

The ranger was very polite, realised we'd made an honest mistake and asked us to move on. We were bouldering on the block below the 4th cloud and he told us that up to the third cloud was ok. He was going to replace the sign. This was last weekend.

I was pretty gutted to find out I potentially disturbed  a pair of peregrine falcons. They're stunning birds.

AndiT

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Five Clouds Restrictions
April 05, 2007, 05:51:09 pm
Cool. We were under the impression that something like this had happened and it highlights the problems which can occur. I'm a regular at the Roaches and certainly wouldn't think to check a database each time I went up there and as such rely on the signs to guide me. As far as I'm aware it's is the first time that this has happened to climbers and the bodies 'in charge' have been very understanding. The restriction was increased last week,as previouly it hadn't taken into account the bouldering. I'm going to make a concerted effort now to ensure that restrictions atleast get put onto forums such as UkB and UkC as I feel these sites are checked more frequently than any other and will help us to preserve our climbing areas and to help protect the wildlife which lives there.

Thanks for coming forward, it is really appreciated and I'm sure, as you have stated, that it was a complete accident. You'll be pleased to know that they are still there.

I'll let you know as soon as the restrictions are lifted so we can get back to it!

Andi

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#3 Re: Five Clouds Restrictions
April 05, 2007, 09:24:23 pm
Shaz and myself noted that there is no sign at the gate.  I'm assuming the relevant bodies are making people complete the ten minute walk in before they break the bad/good news.  Is this the best way to do it?  If they've already walked in people might just think 'Fuck it' and climb anyway.  Just a thought. 

AndiT

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Five Clouds Restrictions
April 05, 2007, 11:10:24 pm
Covered. The signs are going up tomorrow. It takes a few days to get them together.

galpinos

• forum hero
#5 Re: Five Clouds Restrictions
April 10, 2007, 09:02:27 am

Andi,

Posting on the forums would be great as I wouldn't check access before heading up normally as I'd no idea there would be restrictions. I'm not sure we were the only culprits as the ranger said he'd be told by the farmer people had been bouldering there all week.

On a cheerier note, the climbing was fantastic. Climbed Crabbie's Crack and Rubberneck, girt routes at their finest. I'd never been to the clouds before but will be going back. Knocked off Persistence but I've now added Appaloosa (sp) Sunset to the list of routes to climb when I grow some balls. Great stuff.

Glad to hear the falcons are still there.

AndiT

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Five Clouds Restrictions
April 11, 2007, 10:11:57 am
Cheers,

A successful and relaxing weekend was had by the Peregrines, I hope you lot had the same  ;D

Will let you know as soon as things change,

Andi

PATRuL

• menacing presence
#7 Re: Five Clouds Restrictions
April 26, 2007, 07:11:51 pm
Goood work guys
more women pleease
oone will do nicely

AndiT

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Five Clouds Restrictions
May 03, 2007, 01:24:57 pm
The restrictions are currently extended  :'(

I'll post again when we know exact dates.

Cheers,

Andi

AndiT

• forum abuser
#9 Re: Five Clouds Restrictions
May 07, 2007, 08:12:14 pm
Restrictions are to be reviewed on 1st July.

If the birds fledge early then this can be reviewed, this can also work the other way too!

Cheers.

AndiT

• forum abuser
#10 Re: Five Clouds Restrictions
June 07, 2007, 09:36:48 pm
Hurray. After a final check by ab tonight I can confirm that the birds are gone and as of the morning the crag will be back an un-restricted.

So you can all take advantage of the amazing humid and highly midgey conditions and get back on with Tetris and Ready Brek.

Thanks to everyone for making this a very successful 'restriction' which has been seen as a success by all parties who have been involved.

Cheers,

Andi

Eddies

• forum hero
#11 Re: Five Clouds Restrictions
June 07, 2007, 10:16:05 pm
I guess they got fed up with all the midgeys too!?

I was up there tonight... got eaten alive  :furious:
Noticed the green plastic bag of dog shite has gone from the tree on the upper tier tho  :bow:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal