UKBouldering.com

Norway (Read 6521 times)

knollchri

#25 Re: Norway
June 20, 2023, 08:53:44 pm
Yes Oltedal it was where I had been. It was recommended by some locals, and since Internet in Norway was prohibitive expensive for me back then, I just had to rely on this information.

It seems that I missed a lot of good stuff around Stavanger and I am happy to be corrected on this. Also thanks a lot for the reference to buldreinfo.com, which, at least I, was not aware of.

nash1

• menacing presence
#26 Re: Norway
June 21, 2023, 10:47:55 am
Quite the round trip with Oslo-Bergen-Stavanger-Oslo.
Best bouldering is around Stavanger, places which should please your better half would be Lysebotn, Eiane, Spinneriet, Gloppedalen and Sirevåg (Fortress, Tua, Holmane Bil sectors). These are all well documented on buldreinfo.com. Summer is quite warm so connies wont be amazing.
Another lovely spot is Hvasser which is about 90 mins before you get back to Oslo from Stavanger, not much online about that place (a bit on 27crags) but there is a paper guide called Veiviseren, Selected climbs in Vestfold which has the bouldering in it.

Enjoy

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#27 Re: Norway
June 21, 2023, 11:11:38 am
would personally rather go surfing than climbing if I am there

OT, but where is a good place to get knowledge on this? Stormrider's has limited info, and a lot of the places that crop up in "best places" websites are pretty remote and spread out.

nash1

• menacing presence
#28 Re: Norway
June 22, 2023, 09:51:56 am
The surfing here is pretty hit and miss, can be amazing but it is always short-lived. The only reason to make a dedicated trip would be for the exotic feeling of surfing in the North. There are crowds here now and you'd be better off heading warmer...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#29 Re: Norway
June 22, 2023, 09:58:05 am
Sounds like NE Scotland! Surf would never be the main reason for the trip, but be a bonus on the side.

jshaw

• addict
#30 Re: Norway
July 14, 2023, 12:26:40 pm
Thanks everyone for the advice, we had a great holiday.

Mainly did various other outdoorsy things but had an enjoyable day of climbing at Sirevåg at the Fortress and Vedafjell areas since these had reasonable topos and the area was on our road trip route (and aligned with a day of decent weather).

I didn't have a pad in the end but the geology (blank boulders w rounded tops and good edges) lent itself very well for Fontainebleau style circuiting / general exploring. My wife who rarely climbs these days was inspired sufficiently to borrow my shoes and get involved too.

I'd love to head back at some point.

@SA Chris: Bergen was cool, if you've got the opportunity to head out the 'cabins' looked like a nice way to experience Norway. If you go, due to the weather I'd recommend having plans to do a variety of things and climb when the weather allows, the mountain biking for example was amazing (I think you have a mtb, maybe?).

SA Chris

• forum hero
#31 Re: Norway
July 25, 2023, 08:42:41 am
Thanks for the advice. Yes got bikes, but we would probably fly from Aberdeen, as it's a long drive down to the nearest ferry crossing and back up.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal