UKBouldering.com

Which north wales guide book? (Read 1060 times)

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
Which north wales guide book?
July 19, 2023, 10:46:37 am
Hello collective UKB minds. I'm going to North Wales to do some bouldering in about a month and wanted to know which guide book or combination of books is the most useful to have? I was planning to go to a range of areas including place with some good hard and mid grade stuff (Cromlech, Parisella's) but not sure which guidebook covers a good range. Also any recommendations on places to go would be great.

remus

• forum hero
#1 Re: Which north wales guide book?
July 19, 2023, 11:06:00 am
If you're after a single book that covers everything the second edition of North Wales Bouldering is probably your best bet https://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Wales-Bouldering-Simon-Panton/dp/095544179X/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=north+wales+bouldering&qid=1689761005&sr=8-3&x=0&y=0 if you can find a copy.

The third edition is a nicer book imo but it's in 2 parts (mountain and coastal) and only the mountain part has been released.

Duncan campbell

• junky
#2 Re: Which north wales guide book?
July 19, 2023, 11:59:33 am
Yeah is a bit of a fucker that with the Mountain volume being out and coastal not… could get the mountain one and then probs find out what you need for the cave. Plus let’s face it… the cave is a bit shit, if it’s good weather getting out in the hills is way better!

How long you in Wales for?

yetix

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Which north wales guide book?
July 19, 2023, 12:11:49 pm
I have an old parisellas guide I can send you if you really need a guide for parisellas (though I think most people just use videos there anyhow these days?)

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?sort=g&id=1077#info

This ticklist contains good blocs 7a and up imo

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Which north wales guide book?
July 19, 2023, 12:44:17 pm
Yeah is a bit of a fucker that with the Mountain volume being out and coastal not… could get the mountain one and then probs find out what you need for the cave. Plus let’s face it… the cave is a bit shit, if it’s good weather getting out in the hills is way better!

How long you in Wales for?

Thanks I didn't realise that was the case with the new versions. My friend has the mountain one so we can get away with that for the most part then.

I cannot be having badmouthing the cave though!  ;)

We will be there for just over a week so a decent amount of time to go to different areas. Will be a mixed group so some places with easier stuff some days will be good too

Duncan campbell

• junky
#5 Re: Which north wales guide book?
July 19, 2023, 02:08:39 pm
Porth ysgo would be a good shout, but will be warm! Angel bay another nice offering (and cooler being north facing) though don’t go down there is the Seals have pups.

Most of the best stuff is mountainous in NW I’d say.

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Which north wales guide book?
July 20, 2023, 10:02:59 am
Crafnant areas is a particular favourite, especially if you've got a team with spotters/pads and want a range of grades.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal