UKBouldering.com

crag y?? (Read 3058 times)

chris

• menacing presence
crag y??
June 20, 2003, 12:19:02 pm
Recently heard of a crag Y out from bakewell on the way to Buxton. Is this true or is my mate talkin shit, never heard the limestone devil Dobbin :roll:  mention it. He reckons its a small limestone buttress just of the road not disimilar to another certain alphabet crag. Apparently moon and moffat done all the problems there years ago. Any info.... like where it is? Problems? Topos/grades? Might be a nice change of scenary. cheers :wink:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 crag y??
June 20, 2003, 12:24:05 pm
There is a very small, steep limestone crag at the bottom of Taddington Dale on the A6. Me and Fatboy had a look at it a while back, and there were traces of chalk on it.
Then Fatboy and Fatdoc did some cleaning and a few problems but were chucked off by the Chatsworth gamekeeper in a get orf my laaand style.

Fatdoc has written to Chatsworth estates about access but has not had a replay as far as I know.

It might be the venue you're talking about, or there might be others round there too. It's a very minor venue and you'd have to be prepared to be kicked off as it's right next to the road.

It was nicknamed "Toad Hall".....

dave

#2 crag y??
June 20, 2003, 12:28:55 pm
this kind of area?

Where is it in relation to Sid's cragx .

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 crag y??
June 20, 2003, 12:31:58 pm
Yeah, just down the road, same side. There's a little layby you can park in a few hundred metres down from the official car park.

Normally I wouldn't have posted this here, but since the gamekeeper acted like such a wanker, I'm hope people go there just to piss him off. It's hardly going to affect the huntin' and fishin' is it now? It's 10 ft from the road.

dave

#4 crag y??
June 20, 2003, 12:35:55 pm
Also if anyone fancies a job, theres a mini parisellas cave underneath cragx, but it would need the mutha of all cleaning sessions.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#5 crag y??
June 20, 2003, 12:37:49 pm
Quote from: "dave"
Also if anyone fancies a job, theres a mini parisellas cave underneath cragx, but it would need the mutha of all cleaning sessions.

Is that not off limits as to where we can actually walk at this site?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 crag y??
June 20, 2003, 12:38:20 pm
There's a few things down that way but they're best left alone as it's a full on SSSI with rare plants and the like. Crag X is tolerated as it's not publicised, but I reckon if anyone tried to develop anything else there'd be a full on ban.

Big Frank

• forum abuser
#7 crag y??
June 20, 2003, 12:45:36 pm
There a limestone crag thats never been touched, small and steep and miles from any other limestone here.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=428480&y=469110&z=3&sv=428500,469500&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

Ideal for a hand full of sport routes. But it's owned bt the NT.

dave

#8 crag y??
June 20, 2003, 12:47:27 pm
As far as I knew climbing at cragx wasn't "tolerated", just we get away with it cos its completely out of sight and as such the authorities don't know anyone goes there. This other cave is literally about 20ft away down the hill (obvious path straight to it), even more out of sight, and i can't see it being any different to cragx as far a banned access that we're already carefully flouting. The reason climbers can justify going to cragx is cos its hidden, everyone sticks to paths, and the rare flowers that cause the dale to be restricted are at the other end of the dale, i.e. nowhere near speckled egg buttress.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 crag y??
June 20, 2003, 12:47:39 pm
We need more rock in this country  :cry:

I'm not sure of the exact situation at CragX but I can't see it being a good idea to start developing more rock. I'm sure the authorities are aware that climbers go there, but realise it's low key.

Thankfully the place is so damn hard it puts 95% of people of anyway.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#10 crag y??
June 20, 2003, 04:45:23 pm
Is it the big cave with the stream flowing out of it directly beneath crag x dave? if it is DONT climb here, someone bolted this a few years ago, far right hand side i think and the mother of eco rows blew up which resulted in threats of bans totally in this valley!!!!!!!!Its not worth it mate , ive looked and its a bit smee
The crag that you can see through the treees on tother side of valley had some trad E5's and a poss 8b project, all degeared and firmly asked to stay off.
As for Toad Hall, go climb on it and if sweaty gamekeeper tells you to get off, tell him to fuck off cos he can do nowt anyway.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#11 crag y??
June 20, 2003, 08:51:59 pm
Thats much the same as the story Quentin tells. These old timers do have some useful titbits after all :wink: I also learned that the 'agreement' is nothing more than one of the type gentlemen make and that further development is strictly prohibited. As I understand it science types frequent the valley (which is why the path looks used) from time to time and would probably recognise chalky hand prints, finger tape, carpet squares and half naked men as signs of further climbing development. Shame as some of the stuff on the other side of the valley does look ace.

Anyway, staring at the same ten feet of rock for hours  is one of the great things about being a squeaky peaky...:roll:

dave

#12 crag y??
June 23, 2003, 09:51:20 am
Fair enough, i didn't realize there was any clandestine agreement to climb on specked egg buttress and not to go any further. I don't think the thing FBSF bolt is the same as this cave I'm on about cos its not big enough to bolt, i think this cave is what you pass to get to FBSF's cave. There was chalk on the lip holds of the cave when i saw it, so someone's been on it. Bo.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#13 crag y??
June 24, 2003, 02:51:18 pm
'young' Iain Farrar did a long roof prob in said cave a year or so back, raved about it to mates but kept it quiet other than that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal