UKBouldering.com

one very esoteric problem (Read 15213 times)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#25 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 03, 2007, 10:10:28 pm
Agreed. It'll be good when it goes. There really isnt many holds visible on it at all and its not exactly a friendly angle on the arete, so it should be spicey. Combine all that with the landing and the angle of the hillside and you have an interesting proposition.

tc

• junky
#26 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 03, 2007, 10:14:13 pm
Somewhat akin to the old Irish curse "May you live in interesting times" !

climbalive

• regular
#27 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 03, 2007, 10:30:51 pm
it did look very blank when we were looking at it didn't it golt give me a call or text or pm or whatever about when your next out me and the old lad are probably going up to the cobble tomorrow if you can handle it again, i will be looking forward to another look at scratchmere again soon too

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#28 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 04, 2007, 08:38:06 am
 Anyone been for a look at my crag X yet? BTW, it's not the sandy cave crag on the north bank of the river, it's about a quarter of a mile upstream and north of the river.

tc

• junky
#29 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 04, 2007, 07:26:01 pm
Yes. The Legendary Dave Hollows during his stint as water bailiff on the river. I quizzed him about it and his advice was not to bother as it was a bag of. Now, either we are telling the truth or...
By the way, as regards access just ask nicely at the farm and they'll let you wander along the river bank to your heart's content.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 07:31:29 pm by tc »

tc

• junky
#30 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 04, 2007, 07:34:30 pm
Anyone been for a look at my crag X yet? BTW, it's not the sandy cave crag on the north bank of the river, it's about a quarter of a mile upstream and north of the river.

That would be downstream then

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#31 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 05, 2007, 09:01:31 am
That would be downstream then
What? How do you know that from what I said? Am I being thick or are you? The river runs roughly east-west (or does the Eden discharge on the east coast??)and I said it was on the north bank, upstream of the cave/crag (which is shit and may be what your friend saw). :-\

tc

• junky
#32 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 05, 2007, 10:30:16 am
I might be being thick. It has happened before. But that stretch of river on your map is the River Eamont, I think, which flows West-to-East into the Eden.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#33 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 05, 2007, 10:46:26 am
It's me then  :P. Should know better really, i used to go out with a girl from Eamont Bridge

tc

• junky
#34 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 05, 2007, 10:56:21 am
It gaas be t'niaam uf Yamon Brig. Noo thur's a bonny laal spot, yan uv fust spots ivver God thrown on, or so aah've heert.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#35 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 05, 2007, 09:22:36 pm
And divnt firget to shut yat over't yonder.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#36 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 07, 2007, 08:16:52 pm
A good session today meeting up with Thekettle has led to Cumbria's keenest yoot Climbalive doing the second ascent of the Aspirant. Tis a quality problem, with a good scary topout and the greade was confirmed at V5/6. Also did a few other problems there, was good crack. Spent a while working a traverse which we reckon is around V7/8. Was excellent. Think Thekettle or Climbalive may post some pics later. I was too busy getting spanked on everything to take any photos  :'(

Curse you soft skin and weak arms.

thekettle

• menacing presence
    • johnkettle.com
#37 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 07, 2007, 08:38:35 pm
A good session indeed cheers Golt and Climbalive, I will now attempt to add some photo's of todays endeavours:
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s16/thekettle/aspiranrbw.jpg
the technicals start...
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s16/thekettle/aspirantbw2.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s16/thekettle/overlapsepia.jpg
Climbalive committing to the sepia overlap
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s16/thekettle/aspirantbw3.jpg
a high topout

thekettle

• menacing presence
    • johnkettle.com
#38 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 07, 2007, 08:40:01 pm
They're links.. :-\
that'll do!
 :shrug:

climbalive

• regular
#39 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 07, 2007, 09:23:29 pm
ye it was a good session and you have some nice photos i will be putting some up soon, well when i say that i mean golt will be as i have no software to rotate the images and am stuck with win 98 so cant use the usual viewing software.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#40 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 07, 2007, 09:38:01 pm
For the lazy amongst us: 

the technicals start...

Climbalive committing to the sepia overlap
a high topout

There ya go Kettle!!!!   :thumbsup:

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#41 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 07, 2007, 11:00:26 pm

Me and thekettle on The Aspirant, nice gurns you'll agree.

Thekettle topping out (SCARY!!)

Climbalive on the V7/8 traverse I mentioned.

My hand  :furious:

tc

• junky
#42 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 05, 2009, 06:05:20 pm
How far did you get on the arete project?

Do you mean this one:

Or the sit down to the arete we were trying?

If its the one above then only about 3 foot! We didn't have a proper play, only had 1 mat and kinda go sucked into the sit down mentioned. Looks HARD.

" Some last problems exist, notably (...) the left arete of The Block" (North of England Climbs, 1992)

Consider it done! Visited Scratchmere for the first time today, even though I only live a few fields away from this crag, too.

"Nemexin" is either a highball V? (someone else can decide how hard) or, in the best traditions of the sandstoner's art, "6c NL". For the former, take plenty of mats and big spotters. I only had one thin mat and one big spotter (and I don't bounce from that height any more), so for the moment it remains a top rope problem. Stunning, intricate climbing, with heelhooks, toe hooks and general slapping behaviour between the two aretes to a dynamic finishing move.  :thumbsup:  It even has a sit start, although strictly speaking I now have my sit start exemption certificate, which they issue you with up here on your 50th birthday.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#43 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 05, 2009, 08:04:01 pm
Well done Tim, excellent effort. I was thinking about this the other day, glad it's been done.

It would be pretty scary without the top rope though.

tc

• junky
#44 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 05, 2009, 09:07:56 pm
OK with a few big mats I reckon. It's scary enough on a rope -- the top of the block is very sharp where the rope runs over it. By the way, the loose pinnacle on the left is now no more, making the sitter a lot better. Get on it youth, it's a class problem.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#45 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 06, 2009, 07:58:28 am
Which side did you climb it on Tim, from memory I would have imagined the left as it seemed to have some potential holds.

webbo

• forum hero
#46 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 06, 2009, 09:58:56 am
  It even has a sit start, although strictly speaking I now have my sit start exemption certificate, which they issue you with up here on your 50th birthday.

shirley you've got that wrong.once you turn 50 you only have to do the sit start to get the tick.you can stop when you reach the stand up.

tc

• junky
#47 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 06, 2009, 10:13:26 am
Which side did you climb it on Tim, from memory I would have imagined the left as it seemed to have some potential holds.

On the left, spanning between the two aretes.

Webbo, sit starts are for the young and foolish. Like the Plantation. I also now have my Plantation exemption certificate. It came bundled with the other one.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:23:42 am by tc »

webbo

• forum hero
#48 Re: one very esoteric problem
April 06, 2009, 11:08:24 am
given these days that i can send my back into spasm stepping off the curb.i do very little other than sit starts,on occasion i have been known to achieve lift off.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal