UKBouldering.com

Badly windowed finger (Read 1461 times)

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Badly windowed finger
March 07, 2007, 07:16:04 pm
A friend of mine trapped her fingers in the window. When I say trapped, I mean the top window crashed down on her fingers like a guillotine and trapped them between it and the bottom window. I had to run round the outside of the house and lever the window up. It took a good deal of effort to get it open, and she was in quite a bit of pain.

We put ice on her fingers afterwards, and made sure she kept moving them. This was over a week ago now. She didn't go to A&E as they didn't seem to be broken, but she's since tried to climb and can't really use them properly. There is also pain when she flexes them beyond a certain point.

Today she went to the small injuries clinic, but the person who saw her was quite dismissive and told her she was fine to climb, which she clearly isn't.

Any ideas anyone? Does she need them x-rayed? Are they likely to be just badly bruised?

She's not really sure what to do next, apart from rest some more and hope they are better.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Badly windowed finger
March 07, 2007, 07:37:19 pm
Hard to say R-Master.
Generally if the fingers are the shape they should be it is unlikely that an X-ray will change the management of the injury.  The only difference is that a fracture will take longer to heal than a soft tissue injury.

Not much help, sorry.   :shrug:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#2 Re: Badly windowed finger
March 07, 2007, 09:05:24 pm
A&E,

x-ray and or A&E dr opinion......

asap......

hope it's OK

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#3 Re: Badly windowed finger
March 07, 2007, 09:15:21 pm
Nah.
X-ray reviewed by someone that knows about bones....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal