UKBouldering.com

Glueing yer tips (Read 3280 times)

yoda

• regular
Glueing yer tips
March 02, 2007, 08:16:16 pm
Ive currently got a split tip on one of my fingers which I did around a month ago which refuses to heal,Ive heard of peeps putting glue on there tips to heal em,anyone on here tried it ,what type of glue ?,how much to apply ?,all info will be appreciated.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Glueing yer tips
March 02, 2007, 08:22:12 pm
Firstly, you don't put glue on to help heal the tips.  There's a possibility cyanoacrylate (the glue you should use) is cytotoxic and may slow healing.  Not proven though.  Glue your tips so you can carry on climbing with splits.
I tend to use SuperGlue, LocTiteTM being my favourite as it comes in a bottle with a brush.  I tend to put a thin layer over the split and around it.  Leave for 30minutes.  Second layer.  Leave an hour and you're ready.
When finished DO NOT pick the glue off.  It will come off when ready.

dave

#2 Re: Glueing yer tips
March 02, 2007, 09:11:16 pm
if you've had a split tip for a month and it won't heal then theres something seriously wrong. are you a haemophiliac? Or do you mean you've split a tip, climbed on it occaisionally thus aggrevating it and its still not healed up? to heal it you need to not climb on it, and also sanding it with sandpaper will help, cos it will remove all the dead skin (for exampel the edges of the split), making it shallower and more even. this is the way to go. Seriously though if i had a split and it didn't heal after a month and i hadn't climbed on it or agrevated it somehow then i'd be going to the doctor to get stitches!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 09:40:41 pm by dave, Reason: splellign »

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#3 Re: Gluing yer tips
March 02, 2007, 09:17:56 pm
if I had a split and it didn't heal after a month and i hadn't climbed on it or agrevated it somehow then i'd be going to the doctor to get stitches!
Delayed primary closure wouldn't work Dave.  You'd be heading for debridement and skin graft.  Or amputation.
Yoda, get stronger skin.  Climb more but look after your tips.  Use an emollient.  Many will say climb on cream is the best but I'm a sceptic and think moisturising is just as good.

dave

#4 Re: Gluing yer tips
March 02, 2007, 09:42:35 pm
You'd be heading for debridement

Believe me, the last thing I want is for my missus to leave.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#5 Re: Gluing yer tips
March 02, 2007, 09:47:27 pm
You'd be heading for debridement
Believe me, the last thing I want is for my missus to leave.
Yeah my better half reads what I type too....    :lol:

whispering nic

• player
#6 Re: Glueing yer tips
March 02, 2007, 10:13:56 pm
File or shave off old hardened skin then apply udder butter or Melkfett liberally and take a couple of days off E45 cream passable substitute. Any hydroscopic agent - i.e. chalk and esp superchalk will accentuate dryness and discourage healing. Glue's good if you're on a trip (had to superglue my tooth back on in Font in November!) but needs you to rest to help stitch/heal splits.
Teer clear of stump cream if you get dry skin!

yoda

• regular
#7 Re: Glueing yer tips
March 02, 2007, 11:24:40 pm
Cheers for the advice guys ,I initially ripped it open on a sharp pebble, at the time I hadnt climbed in months and my skin was baby soft,I have been climbing on it pretty regular and should maybe tape it or perhaps glue it to prevent the sore from ripping open again.Thanx for the advice, Ill have to buy some superglue maybe not for my teeth though nic, LOL.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#8 Re: Gluing yer tips
March 03, 2007, 08:04:53 am
if I had a split and it didn't heal after a month and i hadn't climbed on it or agrevated it somehow then i'd be going to the doctor to get stitches!
Delayed primary closure wouldn't work Dave.  You'd be heading for debridement and skin graft.  Or amputation.
Yoda, get stronger skin.  Climb more but look after your tips.  Use an emollient.  Many will say climb on cream is the best but I'm a sceptic and think moisturising is just as good.

impressive, a surgeon speaks!!!

you're right though!

Nw, i am a fan of climb on.... really does worker better than any onther cream stuff i've ever tried... even hoofmaker.

filing down and antihydral all also have their place...

BD

• player
#9 Re: Glueing yer tips
March 03, 2007, 10:42:07 am
sanding it with sandpaper will help, cos it will remove all the dead skin (for exampel the edges of the split), making it shallower and more even. this is the way to go.

best thing i've heard until now. i was accidentally talking to one of my friends about this on thursday (he's a climber and doctor) because i'm working on this fingertipshredding slightly off-vertical slabby monsterroute :whistle:. he also told me this was the way to go. remove death skin with small grain sandpaper so the crack starts to look more like a valley. otherwise it can indeed take weeks (or even months apparantly)

BD

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#10 Re: Glueing yer tips
March 04, 2007, 08:44:34 pm
I've had something similar all 'season' though it hasnt really stopped me, the most annoying thing is having to curtail a session as soon as it happens and not climb the day after - though these two things are I find, pretty important to the healing process..

my method.. cut back all the raised / broken skin with nail scissors asap so as to hopefully get a smooth join when it heals, stuff shit loads of savlon in it then wrap the affected area in tape such as strappal.. sleep with it like this.. in the morning take the tape off and it'll look shit, all white and gnarly likes it been in a bath for ages, bear with it, let it dry out and as it does it kinda heals in some magic skin shrink fashion type way, when the whiteness / puffines is gone, moisturise occassionally with savlon, later with climb on, then start to file down with an emery board when it looks 'healed', dont go crazy here either cos it'll weaken th join if you do.. for first couple of days back climb on slopers, flatties etc, just stay off crimps, 50 degree boards and such..tape the affected area when you're climbing..

it was yorks beast dave cowl that turned me onto this method and it seems to work a treat..I can usually be climbing a couple of days after I opened up a tip..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal