UKBouldering.com

Limestone Chippings in the Dark Peak (Read 2088 times)

(woz)

• forum abuser
Limestone Chippings in the Dark Peak
March 01, 2007, 02:50:25 pm
The patio thread reminded me of just how much this (Lime chippings used on paths in grit areas) f**ckes me off, and the last thing that thread needs is to be diverted off topic:

I have been noticing an increase in this over recent years, on many paths all over the dark peak. Is there any kind of scientific rationale for this 'white litter', or is it simply cheaper than the alternatives? IMHO it looks aweful, and (in looks only) is much worse than an eroded path.
I would be interested to find what others opinions are.

On a related note, my dad was walking in the peak recently on an already wide and eroded path, behind a man who had been walking on the grass beside the path for quite some time. He politely stopped the guy to point out that perhaps he was contributing to the widening of the path - only to find out that it was a Peak Park Ranger :furious:

Also, what is with the 'management' of many peak woods, which seems to involve chopping down random trees, and arranging them into neat piles by the path. If I wanted to walk around with everything in perfect OCD order I would go the the chelsea flower show.
Dan

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I can't help on the lime chips, but I can give some insight into the woodpiles thing. Most woodland in the UK is what they call secondary woodland, ie all the primary (or 'wildwood') was cut down long ago. Secondary woodland as a result is generally dominated by trees of a similar age (whether deliberately planted or naturally seeded), which doesn't make for much biodiversity. Hence they cut random trees down to create breaks in the canopy and encourage the growth of flowers and shrubs. They usually cart the trunk off then pile the cut branches up into piles which encourage birds and animals. In some ways it mimics the old coppicing management methods which were very good for biodiversity.

(woz)

• forum abuser
Ah, excellent, that makes much more sense now. Thanks for the info.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
f**ckes me off

Er, sorry (woz) but what expletive have you censored here????   :please:

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
Verily, it doth looketh lyke olde englishe to myne eyen.

(woz)

• forum abuser
f**ckes me off

Er, sorry (woz) but what expletive have you censored here????   :please:

Sorry about that, I assume that the red mist obscured my powers of spelling

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal