UKBouldering.com

Dorset Bouldering (Read 9620 times)

Lord Rothermere

Dorset Bouldering
June 17, 2003, 04:59:04 pm
Does anyone know of any good spots for bouldering in South Dorset (Poole, Swanage, Winspit area).

More importantly, does anyone have any topos of the same area?  There's some information in Dorset Rockfax, but not much.

Thanks, in advance.

LR

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Dorset Bouldering
June 17, 2003, 05:36:11 pm
I'd start with javu and big pebbles for info....

Not sure about topos for the areas you're thinking of, but I'd mail the above sites for help as they're the locals.

Lord Rothermere

#2 Dorset Bouldering
June 17, 2003, 07:00:07 pm
Thanks for the info.

I used Javu on a recent trip down to Dartmoor for my first granite problems.  I now have no skin on my forearms :)

I'm a real newbie to the sport and am very much enjoying the sports climbing around Swanage, but I'm in the process of dropping about a stone and a half because my bodyweight to height is giving me problems stamina-wise.  I've accordinly been getting more personal achievement from bouldering whilst I slim down because the short, pumpy nature of the problems suits my current physique better than long climbs.

LR

Mr K

#3 Dorset Bouldering
June 17, 2003, 08:19:12 pm
Unfortunately Javu, although good is about Devon, Big pebbles is about Cornwall and Devon, however Dorset-climbing.net is actually about DORSET and people a bit more local to the area!...

You will find a couple of topos on that web site re: Cuttings Boulderfield. Also the Neddyfields (love it or hate it) is well documented in Rockfax. The CC guide also gives the location and approach for the Agglestone near Studland. There are many problems in and around the quarries of Swanage (no topo as yet) there's also Bouldering on the short cliff below the lookout on St Aldems Head. Back to Portland the Rockfax also shows the location of easy Blacknor Fort Bouldering, Tout Quarry bouldering, the "Hidden" (or not so) Cove near the lighthouse, Barrel Zawn, Pom Pom beach. More bouldering can be found on the beach headland directly below the Verne as well as in and around Lost Valley (see Rockfax) and Church Ope cove...oh and lets face it Deep Water Soloing is just bouldering too but above the sea!... topos are few and far between but if you ask nicely I can send you some for specific areas,

JIMBO Kimber

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Dorset Bouldering
June 17, 2003, 10:15:54 pm
Quote from: "Mr K"
Unfortunately Javu, although good is about Devon, Big pebbles is about Cornwall and Devon, however Dorset-climbing.net is actually about DORSET and people a bit more local to the area!...

I consider myself corrected .

Sorry, I was being lazy/ignorant and grouping Dorset with Devon & Cornwall  :oops:

Lord Rothermere

#5 Dorset Bouldering
June 18, 2003, 12:51:46 am
Blimey Jimbo,

Thanks.  What a lot of detail.  I take it you're a local :)

I shall re-cover the Rockfax and give some of those a go, plus have a sniff around some of the others you mention.  I'm taking most of next week off work to climb, so I'll try to find those.

I may be asking nicely next thursday if I find myself lost wandering the coastal paths.

Thank again

LR

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal