UKBouldering.com

Craig Parnaby (Read 5266 times)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Craig Parnaby
February 16, 2007, 08:08:28 pm
I went to Uni with CNP.  I haven't seen him in years.  We used to climb together a lot 1994-1999 but I don't think we've met since 2002.
Anyone on here know him?  What happened to him? 
He was up there on-sighting the Cad/ The Bells The Bells etc etc  Damn close to doing Requiem at Dumby (wet last hold foiled him IIRC).  Then nothing.........   :shrug:

whispering nic

• player
#1 Re: Craig Parnaby
February 16, 2007, 08:43:28 pm
Uber Wad on the vertical  :bow:

Saw him make a sub 1 hour ascent of Conehead back in the day before onsighting a few 7c's.

Remember him saying he thought he should give up medecine for climbing and I told him not to be a twat - maybe he took it to heart  :shrug:

Nae power but.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Craig Parnaby
February 16, 2007, 08:48:37 pm
Nae power but.

I wouldn't say that.  He crimped so hard his fingers ended up with fixed flexion deformities (true).  Yeah, he couldn't pull as hard as Malc Smith but he made up for it with stamina and technique.
I tried to teach him the guitar.  He was a typically clumsy left hander and I gave up after a bit.  But on the rock he just danced.  And he was a nice guy (is a nice guy).

Nic:  Conehead as in the F8a+ at Malham?  He was never really into his sport when I knew him well.  More of a mental trad master.

whispering nic

• player
#3 Re: Craig Parnaby
February 16, 2007, 09:05:24 pm
 I guess I meant dynamic power - I certainly wasn't dissing him.

Conehead is the Malham 8a+ which got a very quick early (2nd or 3rd?) ascent in no time from a guy who didn't really do sport - and yes he was a very nice bloke.

Are you a Glasgow expat?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#4 Re: Craig Parnaby
February 16, 2007, 09:09:03 pm
Are you a Glasgow expat?

Can you not tell from the profile picture?
Not from there originally, but was there 1994-2001 at Uni/working.  Would love to go back- love the mountains and multipitch.  Have to stick to tiny, desperate (for me) mini-climbs for now.

Yeez ken tek the barm oota Glasgae but yeez cannae tek the Glasgae oot the barm.
Ya bass.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 09:18:53 pm by GCW, Reason: Ditto »

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#5 Re: Craig Parnaby
February 16, 2007, 09:14:49 pm
I did a problem at Kelvin Hall.  Took me a good month to send it.  Fingery and tenuous and my method was a little dynamic.  Felt at least font 7b+ (that's when I was strong).
Showed to Craig and he did it first go, static.  "British 6a" he says.  I was gutted!!!   :'(

Coolboy wrote "GCW 6a" on the pipe at the top of the wall.  Last time I went it was still there!!

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#6 Re: Craig Parnaby
February 16, 2007, 09:42:37 pm
I met Craig a few times at Malham (with Nic) in the mid 90's and was amazed at a) his technique, finger strength and stamina and b) his lack of arm strength. Could crimp for Britain though. Alway's came across as a quiet chap, but very obviously very intelligent (as most doctors tend to be, well the medical ones anyway).

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#7 Re: Craig Parnaby
February 16, 2007, 09:46:32 pm
Alway's came across as a quiet chap, but very obviously very intelligent (as most doctors tend to be, well the medical ones anyway).
He wasn't what you'd call intellectual, but he wasn't dim.  He worked hard and got what he deserved in both Medicine and climbing.  He is the most naturally talented climber I have ever met.

I assume you've heard about the time a rock fell 50m onto his head.  He drove 30 miles home to Cockermouth, then to hospital.  Concussion.
He has the scar to this day.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#8 Re: Craig Parnaby
February 16, 2007, 09:54:17 pm
I didn't say intellectual, but intelligent, two very different things. Didn't know about the accident, but given that he could bone on hideous crimps all day long makes a bump on the head seem pretty painless if you ask me...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal