UKBouldering.com

6 pack (Read 6190 times)

yoda

• regular
6 pack
February 06, 2007, 11:23:37 pm
Any tips on getting a flat stomach Iv'e ditched the booze for the first time in around ten years and want to turn my chubb into a nice flat exterior,only problem is I have a bad back which I constantly pull so sit ups are a no no,anyone got any training ideas for me?

205Chris

• forum hero
#1 Re: 6 pack
February 07, 2007, 03:11:56 am
The easiest way to get a flat stomach would be to do some cardio work. Running twice a week or so will help shift any excess fat.

If you want to develop your core muscles as well then a good place to start would be by doing Planks. If you google six pack / planks you'll find some useful sites that can explain them better than I can.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#2 Re: 6 pack
February 07, 2007, 11:06:21 am
Lie flat on your back.

Contract your abs hard - raising both your legs and shoulders off the deck. Hands behind neck, elbows splayed out.

Breath in.

Breath out - twisting left so that your left elbow almost touches ground and your right elbow touches your left knee (which you raise as you twist).

Rotate right, doing just as you have done for your left side.  Pay attention to your breathing so you never twist with your lungs full - always exhaling as you twist.  Touch left elbow with right knee.

What you should end up with is: you on your back with permanently tensed ab's, with your legs at approximately 45 degrees, bicycling your legs in time with your twisting and breathing.

This exercise is not as severe as sit-ups and crunches and is more effective; done properly, you shouldn't feel pain in your lower back.

NB:  Make sure you NEVER use your neck muscles when either lifting into the start position or twisting.  It should all happen in the gut.  Two twists per second, do 20.  Rest.  20 more.  Rest and ad infinitum till you is ripped, aye!

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#3 Re: 6 pack
February 07, 2007, 11:18:11 am
tsk houdi,

you missed out the bit about having your bottom ribs removed

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#4 Re: 6 pack
February 07, 2007, 12:00:23 pm
good abs should also prevent lower back pain.

miki

• regular
#5 Re: 6 pack
February 07, 2007, 01:59:45 pm
Top 10 Most Effective Ab Exercises
http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises.htm

I also like to do dragon flags ( great for climbing )
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid176922729?bclid=181798379&bctid=187745546
the guy in the video doesn´t go paralel to the floor, try that if you want.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#6 Re: 6 pack
February 07, 2007, 04:37:21 pm
abs are basically 80 per cent diet. don't do sit ups ever! running twice a wk will shift all the excess. you want to start slow and with the stomach little n often is the best approach. i would do slow crunches with my legs bent onto the settee. say 10 every time an advert comes on, twice a day then do more for longer. after each one i  would turn over n do back raises, since there is no point having a strong stomach n weak lower back.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#7 Re: 6 pack
February 07, 2007, 04:44:17 pm
Any tips for making a speedy recovery from lower back pain? Off to Northumbria on Friday for a few days.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: 6 pack
February 07, 2007, 04:52:11 pm
Physio!

Stretches!

Monolith

• forum hero
#9 Re: 6 pack
February 07, 2007, 04:53:54 pm
I remember when I was in uni I had to see a physio once for chronic lower back pain, but can't for the life of me remember what the stretches were.

Any recommendations fellows?

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
#10 Re: 6 pack
February 07, 2007, 11:36:22 pm
I think there are a few ways to go about it...

It could be a tightness in the sheath that contains the nerves that leave your spine and enter your legs. For this obviously, you want to be doing a lot of easy stretching, paying attention to pulling your toes back and dropping your head forward. Try the sit down reach to your toes approach, bog standard. Or improvise around the theme.

It could be muscular, which if from too much time at a desk rather than an acute (oooh shit) injury, you should feel relief by doing some high volume back extensions. Increasing blood flow to the area is a great healer. Also the lower back gets passively stretched all day if you sit leaned forward in a chair all day this results in a weakening of the muscle.

If either of those give relief, I would proceed by strengthening the lower back with extensions or deadlifts/stiff legged deadlifts, whilst also increasing your range of movement in your hamstrings and back.

It could be acute muscular or a skeletal problem, in which case I am clueless  :shrug:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#11 Re: 6 pack
February 08, 2007, 09:52:03 am
If you're that keen... Why not go the Bruce Lee route and get some of those electro-muscle-contractor-thingumajigs?  (Set to infinity in mistake for setting 8!)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#12 Re: 6 pack
February 08, 2007, 11:14:16 am
I remember when I was in uni I had to see a physio once for chronic lower back pain, but can't for the life of me remember what the stretches were.

Any recommendations fellows?

When I knackered my back, the physio gave me three to do;

One - Lie on back and curl knees right up, hug knees or pull feet in depending on pain / flexibility.

Two - Lie on back with arms outstretched. Bring knees up so heels are by your bum, then rotate to either side so knees touch ground, keeing legs locked together.

Three - like a pushup, but keeping your hips on the ground. - I think it's called some Cobra thing in Yoga. This one I didnt do much as it hurt a lot, but my injury was a collapsed vertebra, so it may help for you.

Usuall disclaimers apply; see your doctor, warm up, discontinue if it hurts too much etc.

I'm sure if you google you will find loads of info.

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#13 Re: 6 pack
February 08, 2007, 12:21:11 pm
if it's long term back pain, you probably need to work on your core muscles. pilates is a probably the easiest way to see if that's the root of the problem. if it's more acute, or if you get any leg symptoms, i'd advise seeking medical opinion. or at least go and see a physio. if it's coupled with any sort of weakness, numbness around the top of your legs or incontinence... go to A&E

webbo

• forum hero
#14 Re: 6 pack
February 08, 2007, 12:25:58 pm
. if it's coupled with any sort of weakness, numbness around the top of your legs or incontinence... go to A&E

A&E staff may appreciate you going to the toilet or having a bath first.

Monolith

• forum hero
#15 Re: 6 pack
February 08, 2007, 12:29:22 pm
Thanks holmes.

Chris, those exercises you listed are the ones I was given and worked well. Sorry for the hijack 6-packers.

Timatron

#16 Re: 6 pack
February 09, 2007, 01:27:55 pm
Oh my god!  After years of some half decent replies on this forum some of you are still believing in the whole abs thing.  Everyone has a six pack, the only way to reveal it is to remove any fat (excess superficial tissue as we politely call it in physio circles) that sits over it.  The only way to do that is to BURN MORE CALORIES THAN YOU CONSUME!!  It's not rocket science.  You could keep doing ab work for years but you'll never reveal your six pack.  Anyway, most of the ab exercises normally recomended are not of the correct intensity to achieve hypertrophy (muscle growth)!  Eat well, exercise regularly and you'll get there.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#17 Re: 6 pack
February 09, 2007, 01:57:27 pm
Listen to Dense.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#18 Re: 6 pack
February 15, 2007, 09:55:25 pm
Listen to Dense (if you like running).  Ignore Dense, if you don't.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#19 Re: 6 pack
February 15, 2007, 11:08:33 pm
Why does it seem that 'work on the core' is the panacea of the fitness/health industry

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#20 Re: 6 pack
February 16, 2007, 10:14:31 am
I'll guess it has something to do with the amount of working days lost to industry and sickness benefits through back pain etc..

PS - It's OK to listen to Dense.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#21 Re: 6 pack
February 17, 2007, 04:01:32 am
wise words

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal